Friday, September 5

A Roundup

My morning consisted of feeding the baby, changing the baby, blowing noses, admiring Lego contraptions, trying to convince EmBaby to let Daddy put her hair up, watching a play called "The mouse and the mom" (starring a mouse from Mousetrap and a Queen from one of the chess sets), hearing a few great riddles, and sampling a pear from the tree. Not a bad morning, considering I was supposed to be sleeping in. You know, rest up, heal, that kind of stuff.

But that just doesn't happen unless you have a doctor telling the father of your children that you will die if you don't get rest. (Fear of doing it on your own is quite the motivator - for Moms and Dads, alike!) And so, since I don't have an official death diagnosis, I was already up when one of my favorite people called to chat. Her call gave me an excuse at least to hide on the balcony and talk shop with a hot cup of coffee, relatively unmolested. Probably did more for my recovery than anything else has, to tell you the truth.

It's about 8:30 now. We had 15-bean soup and drop biscuits for supper. The boys made it, and it was fantastic.

There's venison jerkey in the oven, jerking... (that doesn't sound right).

The kids are about ready for a story, and the linens are in the dryer (The Urinator struck again - it's like living with an angry, incontinent cat).

I have a bow quiver and a finger tab to sew up this weekend, and a few more projects along those lines. Zorak is hoping to do a little dove hunting, as well. John's stoked. James is compliant. Smidge just wants to come along.

He's funny. We could be heading out to embalm month-old cadavers, and he'd want to come along.

He didn't get to help make the soup or biscuits tonight, but he's okay with that because he and I will make banana bread in the morning. I'm not sure he realizes that means he's not going hunting. Hopefully, he'll clue in to that just about the time we're drizzling icing on a loaf of fresh bread and I can distract him further with a few gooey smiley faces and a beso.

Tonight James mentioned how easy it must be to keep a clean home if you aren't married and don't have children. That's true, definitely. But it's not a worthwhile trade-off at all. Fortunately, he's the one who pointed that out, as well. I'm glad they know that. I hope they always know that.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Melora said...

Glad you guys are okay -- I was getting worried!
I hope the big boys get some doves & Smidge enjoys his frosting.
Your church is planning its Christmas pageant? Aaack! I'm supposed to be teaching Sunday School this week, and I'm not planning on Thinking about the lesson until I've finished mowing the lawn -- clearly I wouldn't fit in at your church. But I'm always grateful that there Are super organized people out there!

Jenni said...

Glad you're feeling better. It sounds like a good weekend ahead for you.

Hey, you're always talking about how there's usually a pot of beans cooking at your house. Do you think you might like to share some recipes? I've got a few good ones, but the family doesn't like to have the same thing too often or close together. I think I'll lay off the beans a little in the coming week though. Danny pointed out that he's eaten beans in some form 6 nights this past week and that it is having some less than desirable effects. Oh well, they're good for your heart, right?

Dy said...

Melora, we don't fit in there *at all* (in more ways than just this), but the boys are happy, I have no major doctrinal issues, and it's not a one-hour drive. So. *sigh* There we are. I'm still praying the guy at the horrible little "we take care of our OWN 'round here" church will retire and we can get in on calling a new pastor!

Jenni, I can try, but to be honest, we're pretty much all-pintos, all-the-time, around here. Back when Zorak was the only English speaker in his department, all the Mexican guys made fun of how much beans and tortillas he ate. (They did - I am so totally not making that up!)

I love navy beans, black beans, split peas, gigantic lima beans... but all we eat are pintos. Cooked the same way, every time. The 15-bean soup was a comfort purchase I made, um, a year ago... I'll post a separate post and beg others to share their ideas for you, though. Maybe that'll help?

Dy

Bridget said...

James is right, it would be so much easier to keep a clean house with no husband or kids but what fun would that be? I spent all day yesterday doing laundry and cleaning house and can you tell it today? ABSOLUTELY NOT! But the clean house can wait there are so many more important things to do like spending time with your family. I pick kids and husband over clean house any day.