Monday, September 8

Just For Fun

Because sometimes, we need that.

When the older boys were wee ones, there were certain things we could not mention in their hearing. This went beyond Christmas gifts and various hallucinogenic holiday characters. A mere mention of the name,"Bob the Builder" would send the boys into fits of excitement, insisting that they must return home right that instant to watch Bob. That was exhausting. So, we took to calling him "Robert the Construction Worker".

This little slight-of-tongue worked so well that we expanded our code to include other things.

"Playgroup" became "frolick collective", "ice cream" might be "frozen bovine excretion" (hah - like they'd ever have figured that one out!) For years, Zorak and I have been able to create our own cryptic dialogue for just about anything, without fear of discovery. Now that the older two are, well, older, they're catching on. And they're pretty good at it.

For instance, Smidge wants to go to Chuck E. Cheese for his birthday. (Granted, I'd much rather let a street vendor in Juarez perform liposuction on my butt than spend the day there, but you know I'll go.) The real question was when we'd go, my main criteria being that Zorak has to go with us, since he's the one who introduced the vile place to the children, to begin with. At supper tonight, I asked Zorak if we should hit the "Italian Rodent's Lair" on Saturday. He processed the request, and replied in the affirmative. That was about the time James burst out laughing. He then said, "Oh, do you mean...

...and he made a wretching motion, a surprized motion, and shouted
"Mozzarella!"

I just about died laughing. It wasn't subtle, but it was good. Our code has been broken, and none of our secrets are safe. But it's worth it to have let him in on the game. This is what allows me to enjoy them well beyond the fuzzy infant, the insane toddler, the funny preschooler ages. We're raising adults, and from the looks of it, we're raising pretty good-natured ones, to boot.

**************************************************************

This is Smidge's Pear. He smelled the blossom. He watched it die back. He squealed and giggled and leapt up and down as the fruit began to form beneath the remains of the flower. This one was his. And he managed to not pick it, not pester it to death, not lose it to deer or siblings or foul winds. All. Season. Long. Sweet, sweet reward. **************************************************************

And this is John's latest find. Looks an awful lot like a chicken head, doesn't it? Complete with one buggy eye, and everything. He was quite proud, and wanted a picture before he ate it. (I have never been so tempted to call the National Enquirer, in my life, but John really didn't want to wait to hear back from them.) He found another one in the same batch that looked, as he put it, "More like a goose than a chicken. A really small goose."

***************************************************************
Yes, this is how we spend our days sometimes. Laughing at inside jokes, taking pictures of weird foodstuffs, and enjoying everything we've put into all of it. Good stuff, indeed.
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Heidicrafts said...

CHG and I also used expanded vocabulary to hide our intentions. We knew the drawback was that our kids may expand their vocabularies. It was a risk were were willing to take.

Night bath = nocturnal immersion.
Walk = ambulating.

We had the benefit of both having the same basic knowledge of sign language and early year French, with some Latin thrown in. Chuck E. Cheese's is "Zharles du fromage." Garbage night sounds much nicer as La Nuit du Poubelle. (And if my French is wrong here, I apologize.)

Too soon, our kids decoded Int'l Phonetic Alphabet to know that Delta Quebec was really DQ-Dairy Queen. It was fun to watch them take down and reconstruct our casual chatter about Papa India Zulu Zulu Alpha.

My favorite anecdote is when I tried to talk about Batman. I knew 'man' in French was L'homme. (Pronounced Lum) but I didn't know how to say 'bat' in French. "Aha," said the back of my brain. In German, it's Fliedermaus, like the opera. So I said "L'homme de Fliedermaus," which stopped CHG in his tracks over the absurdity.

"Hey, I spoke, you understood, communication occurred. Mission accomplished."

Dy said...

Oh, Heidi! I'm ROFL over coffee this morning!

We, too, have exhausted other options over the years: the phonetic alphabet, Spanglish, and Pig Latin, among them. Zorak can both speak and interpret "hong-kong" (do you remember that from when we were kids?) but I cannot for the life of me manage it, yet the kids figured it out in no time at all. Short of just making up a new language, we were done for.

The "L'homme de Fliedermaus" is my absolute favorite, though! That was priceless! Thanks for sharing your secret language, too.

Dy

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Oh mercy, we're in the "Robert the Construction Worker" stage, too! The boys think it is the best thing ever created, and I can't stand it. :) (Thankfully, they also love Thomas the Tank Engine, which I vastly prefer!)

Right now Gabe and I mostly depend on spelling to cover up our conversations. Jonathan is starting to catch on to that (at least some basic words, anyway) so now Gabe throws in random letters in the midst of his spelling. It does confuse Jonathan - of course it also confuses me! A couple of days ago "park" got spelled PAURWKT. :)

melissa said...

BTW, I forgot to say that Jackson was mighty impressed with that chickens head, erm...wing. Although to him...it looks a bit more like a turkeys head. Bulging eye, very cool.

Jenni said...

How fun! That's much better (and probably lasts longer) than just spelling everything. Jo spelled something she didn't want Na to understand yesterday. Danny and I just looked at her completely amazed that our brunette honor student can be so completely blonde sometimes.