Tuesday, September 23

What in the world?

This makes me smile...

Other things, that don't necessarily make me smile (although they might, but not the same way):

Facebook. What is that? I signed up so I could see Cousin T's page. And there are a bazillion relatives already on there. So, now it looks like I have friends and such, but I can't for the life of me figure out what to do with the page. I can't make it pretty, and give it a font I like. Or make it look even remotely... familiar. *sigh* It reminds me of the pageflake nightmare, from which I've just now begun to recover. Wee-ha, technological genius at work, huh? Ah, well, I'll have James explain it to me.


James' Webelos pack (troup? herd?) is selling popcorn now. They sent us a package in the mail, and it looks like it's all done online. Still not completely clear on that. In one way, I like not having my child out there, going door-to-door, hoping not to be torn to shreds by some angry dog-farm escapees. Or approached by a pedophile. So, there's that. By the same token, I do feel like the boys ought to put a little wear and tear on their soles. You know, pony up and put some effort into it. Isn't there a compromise? A gauntlet they can run that actually requires them to run, but without the looming threat of death or dismemberment at every turn? I don't know. It can't be easy to meet all the requirements everyone has. I suppose this is a good compromise. Maybe I'll have him at least write up a blog entry on it, or something along those lines.


Fall is coming! I can't smell it, and I can't see it, but I know it's coming! The electric bill should be dropping shortly. And that means we need to get out and mark the deadwood NOW, before all the leaves fall and we can't tell any longer what needs cutting and what needs fertilizing. It would be a sad spring, indeed, to get that wrong.


Zorak baked us a pecan pie tonight. Well, I say "us", but I mean "me". (He did bake it all for me, right? Because I'm his favorite wife. I hope.)


We're reading Five Little Peppers and How They Grew. I like it. The boys like it. I hate reading it aloud. This isn't a read-aloud-to-this-many-kids book. This is a read-it-together-but-independently-then-chat-about-it book. That will make sense only to about half of you. That's okay. I love you all for different reasons. :-)

Anything making you smile this week?
Kiss those babies!~
~Dy

14 comments:

momanna98 said...

I get you. I totally get you.
ps.. stop by my blog for a fun meme. Well, at least I thought it was fun. ;-)

Laura said...

Hey! I'm on Facebook! Send me a friend request and we'll enjoy another aspect of internet friendship!

My daughters all loved the Five Little Peppers books and so did I. I never tried them out on the boys, though.

H said...

I'm on Facebook too. Come find me. :)

Bridget said...

I have a facebook page but I haven't done anything with it either. I joined so I could see a friend's page.

Fall is definitely here in VA. This morning it is 48 degrees but by this afternoon it's supposed to be in the high 70's. How do you dress a child for that kind of weather?! I've lived here all my life and I love this time of year but it's really hard to plan outfits for this weather.

Pecan Pie, one of my favorites.

Jennie C. said...

I'm smiling about this sudden change in the weather. It is just gorgeous over here in Georgia!

Anonymous said...

You've been watching too much Big Love. Last I checked Nikki and Margene weren't tucked away anywhere on the property so of course your his favorite wife!

Melora said...

Five Little Peppers is on my "to read (aloud)" shelf. So now I am forewarned.
I have never looked at Facebook. Thankfully, no one I know (except you) has ever told me they have a page there. I have enough trouble keeping my blog going! But I wish you well with it!
Thanks for the heads up about fall! My toes are cold, but I hadn't taken that thought any farther. Guess I better go out and play in the yard!

mere said...

Things making me smile?

That slight chill in the air in the morning breeze. The first hint of fall...makes me want to bake!

The little underground houses that the boys are drawing all have families with LOTS of kids in them. We must be doing something right!

Pretty fabric is also bringing a smile to my face...;-)

We started Five Little Peppers but never finished it. It's on Sam's reading list this year, so we'll try again. Have you ever read Understood Betsy? It's a favorite in our house.

Have a great day!
mere

Claudia said...

Hi! I am on Facebook so that I could see Tino's page, but then I found some of my friends. I made Donna join so that she can teach me how to use it though. :-)

Anonymous said...

Ugh ... I'm on facebook too. I have NO clue what you're supposed to do with it either. I think I'm just old.

Good luck with the popcorn. This is the thing I despise MOST about scouting. I HATE HATE HATE popcorn season.

Amy@thefoilhat.com

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I'm on facebook. When I first started I thought it was insane and I hated it. Then I got used to the annoying format (WAY too busy, isn't it?) and realized that I could just pay attention to the two or three parts that mattered to me.

I do find it fun on an occasional basis, especially for finding out what old classmates from 10+ years ago are doing now.

I tried to find your facebook page, but I think you may have your privacy settings high or something, because I can't find you. See if you can find me. :)

melissa said...

O.K., first of all no fair outing the whole popcorn sale thing before the "official" date. (Of course, I am totally kidding). Our kids do both, the online thing comes in handy for out of town relatives. And, uh, I'll buy from yours if you buy from mine;-)

Facebook. Think of it as a total communication network. That's pretty much it. The teens are all about Facebook, and in my opinion, WAY better than MYSPACE for that purpose. And, yeah...I have a Facebook....gotta keep up w/ the kiddos!!
I posted on my blog what is making me smile.

PupDaddy said...

I'm smiling because our church Boy Scout troop (its selectively more scout'y or more church'y depending on the program. . . ) does not participate in the popcorn sale. I don't know what the church's reasoning is, but I for one get tired of constantly being hit up to buy c-r-a-p from (or sell c-r-a-p for) my kids or other kids' organizations. I don't need sugary popcorn, awful "hoagies", candles, discount cards or cheap wrapping paper. I do need Girl Scout cookies, but . . . . I think you're smelling what I'm cooking?

Fall is here in PA, it's wonderful. Cool but not have-to-rake-leaves yet.

I too am on Facebook. And as I lamented on a rare blog post, it's killing blogs. It allows people much of the me-me of a blog but no journaling . . . no art of any kind. It allows the sharing of photos, a blog feature I always felt should be exploited more. But mostly it's for the young, I don't get what they use it for but I can peek and keep an eye on them (I'm "friends" with some of my Scouts and Young Men. I'll be sure and keep an eye on my 12 year old when his friends all start doing it and he decides he has to).

Oh, you can send Muppets. I'll send you a Muppet.

-Chris

Konkadoo said...

My computer is broken and I'm waaaay behind on your blog. I'm on Michael's lap top and it doesn't have any of my favorite links so I had to hunt your url down somewhere else.

I'm going nuts. It could be a week or two still. It's in pretty bad shape.

As for popcorn, we have 4 ways to sell. I've been given online stuff but I don't have many people I think will be interested in that. We have forms he can have people order from, and they have what is called "see and sell" where he can get some popcorn and take it with him door to door and sell it on the spot. We like that option. The last is for booths. He'll be doing a booth on Saturday, which he also loves doing.

That boy thinks selling is one of the best parts of cub scouts, second only to the pinewood derby.