Friday, August 15

You don't say...

Doesn't that look like exactly what he's thinking, there? I love that look.

So, I nearly had the police called on me this week. Forgot to tell ya about that. Yeah, I was pumping gas when I noticed this...

And although my UpCloseNatureShots pretty much aren't worth taking, I couldn't resist. This little guy was SO cute. While the pump sucked the last of the checking account from my wallet, I scootched all around this post, snapping shots and trying to hit a Donna-worthy moment. (No luck.) The last picture on the disk shows the nice lady manager approaching me to find out why I was taking pictures at her gas station. Of course, she didn't identify herself, just came up and started in on me. I, being guilty of nothing untoward, and having severe personal space issues, as well as a deep disdain for being approached and questioned in public, I asked her why she wanted to know. THEN she explained that she's the manager of the gas station, and it all clicked. Ohhhh, crazy middle-aged lady snapping photos of... of what? *shrug* Well, I'd made her uncomfortable, regardless. Private property. I'm good with that. Mea culpa.

So when she asked me what I was taking pictures of, I pointed to the moth (which was, thankfully, still there - wouldn't that have been awkward?) and said, "A bug." I think that actually made me more suspect in her eyes, as she didn't even glance at it. She just frowned. (Could have been the frown of 'great, another loon', but it looked like the frown of 'thank heaven for Homeland Security', okay?) But as I lost control of my verbal diarrhea (I'd caught sight of her husband/friend/bodyguard in the background, with his phone open and his thumb hovering over the keypad, his eyes blatantly glued to the two of us - and I realized he was probably waiting for the signal to hit 'send' and bring in the cops...) I waxed on about photography and photoshop and bokah (or is it bekah? buuka? bummah?) the poor woman actually backed. away. from me. as she said good-bye. I panicked. "Wait!" I yelled. I no longer feared the cops. But I realized she thought I was a fruitcake. "Do you want to see the pictures? They're not very good, but they're-" She cut me off and ran for her car. She got in, he closed his phone, and they sat there, tag-team mad-dogging me until I left.

So, I think I'm at least cleared of potential terrorist activity. But I may now be the new Local Nutcase. Yep, me and the guy who talks to his shoes, hangin' at the gas station. We are the local color. (She couldn't have identified herself, first? I mean, really? *sigh*) Oh well, I'm only a little nuts. It's a benign nuts.

Today, we did go to the park. We played in the water. We did the picnic thing. We laughed a lot. And when we loaded up to leave, we found we had company. They've named him Wobbles, and they are *quite* excited to watch him emerge from his shell. (If you look closely, you can see his back had just begun to split, although he was still walking around.) They've been waiting for this ever since Meredith's boys found one last year. He's now on the tea cart (still on the sling) in the dining room. Zorak is pretty sure he'll hatch out while we sleep and we'll have a cicada round-up on our hands come morning. The boys plan to be up early to catch The Emerging.

I'm just trying not to think about it.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

11 comments:

mere said...

Sigh..Some people just don't get bugs...they just walk over them with out realizing how much of the world they are missing. And think the rest of us are weird when we get excited about six-leggers.

Good for you for taking pictures...it's beautiful. Have you identified it yet?

"Cooool!!!" is what I just heard from Jake when he saw the nymph. Sam is out in the yard as I type doing the daily ritual of hunting for cicada nymphs. I rank watching and photographing the emerging nymph as one of the coolest things we've ever done. I hope you guys get to enjoy it, too.

Have a great day!

mere

Jennie C. said...

That baby! He's just so cute, I could eat him up!

Ernest said...

The nymph? Don't eat those ... they aren't good for ya.

Oh, and Dy, you DO give off the crazy vibe at times.

Melora said...

That is a neat bug, but the story is even better! Better to be thought a looney than a terrorist, I suppose, but she Could have tried a little harder to see it from your p.o.v.

melissa said...

LOL! at the sore manager story. ;-)

Cool BUGS!!
BEEEUUUUTiful baby!

But the thing that stuck out to me the most, is the pic of James. Look how BIG that kid has gotten!!! Good Night!! What are y'all feedin' that kid???

Jenni said...

You're so brave, Dy! Not about the bug--about how you handled that woman. Bugs are much less scary than people! Too often I let what other people might think stop me from bringing my camera along. If I do bring it, I'm afraid to use it. I wish they had a photo hunting blind that would camouflage me to people and allow me to snap away unnoticed.

Konkadoo said...

That baby is darling. You have some killer DNA power for creating darling children, you know that?

I admit I am one who has trouble reading the word "cute" and applying it to a bug, especially of the moth persuasion.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I would love to be an entomologist!! How fun that would be to be like Grissom on CSI.

Jase is sooooo cute. He's a keeper.

The other kiddos are just adorable too! How's Em's hair growing back?

~sdWTMer

Emily said...

BWAHHAHAHAHA!!! I don't know why but "The Log Lady" from Twin Peaks popped into my head when reading this story. (If you've never seen the old series Twin Peaks, then that makes no sense, sorry).

And MAN OH MAN that is one cute baby!! I know you get told that all the time, but it is so true!

Heidicrafts said...

Just chalk it up to part of being Not From Round Here, even if she had no idea if you really were or not

You had your camera ready. Points to you.

Jules said...

LOL! Good story!

I would have responded the way you did at first - I don't like being questioned and made to feel like I'm doing something wrong when I'm clearly not!

Great bug, too! ;)