Friday, August 22

Kamping

No, I haven't forgotten how to spell. I haven't even just decided it'd be fun to spell random words incorrectly (although it probably would be). We really are Kamping. And you know it's not like real camping, because this is way too swanky. And a little kitschy. Perhaps even... well, before I go overboard, let's just say it's a K-kinda word. As in KOA Kamping Kabins. (Nobody should make that much money off of bad spelling.) I haven't been in a KOA for more than two decades. Maybe three. Wow. Why not!?!? This is the way. to. go.
so, to recap:
Thursday: 1 RV, 2 dogs, 5 kids (10 people total), 300 miles... and we're in Pigeon Forge! The trip -- surprisingly low-key and non-scary. I don't know if it's Aunt B's calming influence, or if we're just starting to figure this thing out. Whatever it is, once in a while, you hit on something that just really clicks.

Friday: Dollywood! Aunt B stayed with Gram to help her rest up. We took aunt Linda with us. Fantastic place. Will fill you in with really funny pictures and details later, but for now, just a few bits. Take your own food. That's not 'flat bread', in the sense that most North, South, and Central Americans use the word. Ice water is free, and those souvenir cups are worth every penny just for that. And, um, don't wear jeans unless you're here for the Christmas to-do. Yeah.

Friday Night: Dixie Stampede. Very cool. Kids were totally riveted. LOVED the ostrich races. Gram had a good time. I think everybody did. Our waiter, Matthew, was astonishing. I could not do his job. WOW. But WHY did nobody warn us about the silverware issue? What's up with that? Try convincing my OCD-sympathetic 9yo that a whole chicken IS a finger food, and then get back to me on why you didn't feel the need to tip me off about something like that, please? That should so be the first thing out of any reviewer's mouth: there is no silverware. Not even for the soup. It's not a bad thing, but again, a little forewarning goes a long, long way, does it not?

Saturday: Back to Dollywood. This time, Aunt Linda stays with Gram and Aunt B comes with us. (We tried to convince her to let us stay with Gram and then the Aunts could take the boys and Fearless Sister, but that was kind of a no-go.)

We could easily stay here for a month and never feel like we've seen it all or run out of things to do. It's most impressive!

And so, I've just fallen asleep twice while typing this (a pitfall of laptops is that you can, technically, get way too comfortable!) so I'm going to go.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Amy said...

Oh my goodness! I can't believe we were there and now you are there and we just missed eachother. We did stay for a month and didn't run out of things to do.

Are you going to the National Park? I really recommend the Roaring Fork Motor Trail, and if you want to hike, there is a 1.5 mile hike to Grotto Falls that is great. It is uphill, so it could be tough carrying a baby (ask me how I know) or for Gram.

There is also a nice nature trail behind the Sugarland Ranger Station that is mostly flat. It's lovely and there is a waterfall there, too.

Also the drive up to Clingman's Dome is byooo.tee.full. And it's only a .5 mile hike with benches along the way to get to the very top.

Are you going to Splash Country? It's a total blast and I really recommend it.

have fun!

H said...

Kamping? That's kool! And klassy! Did you roast korn?

Jenni said...

Wow. No silverware? Weird.

I can't believe Gram is able to get around and do all this! She must be an amazing woman. I want to be like her when I grow up!

Rebel said...

Sounds like everyone is having a blast! Isn't family great? *happy sigh*

Mom2legomaniacs said...

You are so stinking close to me!!!!! OMG. Not fair. I so want to see you guys! I am emailing you. Check it and call me if you get a chance, okay!

Anonymous said...

oh Dy, the Smokies are one of my favorite vacation destinations! So glad you are having fun. I will always remember going to the Dixie Stampede and Dollywood with my Mom and Dad. treasure those memories ok.
Hugs,
Kathy (from old goal setting board)