Tuesday, August 5

Not a question of whether, but of how...

Once I realized the creamy tan fabric simply would not work, in spite of the lovely flecks of color and the durability of the fabric itself, the obvious conclusion was that we just had to dye it. But there was a problem...

The directions said to use a washer (top load), or the stove top. We have a front loader, and we're talking about 13 yards of Very Heavy Canvas - it doesn't matter how big the stove is, we don't have a pot big enough to pull this off! I called RIT to see if I could do it easily over an open fire in a metal washtub. The lady hyperventilated, then told me they have directions for using a front loader. (Which she sent me - let me know if you'd like them.) Very cool. Unfortunately, there is the risk that the plastic fins would take a stain. It wouldn't harm clothes, but it would bug me. It bugs me enough to do laundry as much as I do. I didn't need something else to bug me at the same time. Sooo...

Well, you know we aren't the kind to be thwarted by something as simple as a hurdle, right? Right. OK, hot water...


Check. (See the hose? Also note that the dining room and living room have been switched around - we like the new layout significantly more than the previous one. Nice flow. And no, we still don't have nice fixtures for the kitchen. Or a range hood. Yeah, thanks for noticin'.) Moving along, according to the nice lady at RIT, the key to getting fabric to take their stuff is "agitation, agitation, agitation". I suspect she used to work in real estate and that triplet thing stuck with her. Anyway, you can't get more agitating than this:

Yup, that's a cement mixer. It's all metal, so we didn't have to worry about staining the inside. Nevermind - it's plastic, with steel fins, but it didn't stain. Yay! (Or the next batch of cement.) And it'll agitate, oh yes. It agitates beautifully! Check it out.

And all those lovely folds create the kind of dye job that makes you look for a label explaining that "This fabric was hand dyed by high altitude monks somewhere in Peru who chewed berries to just the right consistency, thus lending a softened, unique pattern to the color. These inconsistencies are a part of the unique dye process, and are not to be considered defects."

Plus, the kids thought it was pretty cool. (And a little weird. But "weird" is not going to hold much weight from a kid who walks around in winter slippers and a thick bathrobe in in 100 degree heat.)

See? Easy as construction work! (Which, for some of us, is far easier than pie!)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

14 comments:

L said...

Brilliant! And very, very funny.

The house looks wonderful. Well done!

Anonymous said...

You guys are always so freakin' creative and resourceful it amazes me. And you've amazed me once again! Wow! And ummm you are really, really brave to let the kids eat on the couch. wow. lol

I will call you after this weekend. To make a long story short Michelle just left, My Aunt Deirdre is here, and my mom and brother are here as well. Surprise to me! lol

Love you,
Jess

Anonymous said...

Dy, you are so awesome! I would never have thought of that. I probably would have given up. The house looks great too!

BTW, the kids are gorgeous and growing so fast! I just wanted to mention that because I don't get much computer time lately since I am chasing all the kiddos here.

Jennie C. said...

One of the many reasons I love you is that you are way too good at thinking outside the box. Well done!

mere said...

Again, I love the way your mind works! And the dye job is beautiful...Wow! What a great lesson for the kids, too.

There is just something about a project like that, that gives one such a sense of satisfaction. I am so impressed!

mere

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the laugh! God I want to be neighbors again! The last picture is priceless! I can tell they're thinking about wether or not they'll be able to get along when you're in the nuthouse. (Still laughing!)

Melora said...

It came out just beautiful, but I'll bet the Rit lady would Not approve. Your house is so lovely and neat -- the hose snaking down the room just made me laugh!

Dy said...

Thanks, but you know, guys - this is the joy of collaborative work. The cement mixer was Zorak's idea. I'd forgotten it was even down there. A husband is a treaure of ideas, as well as warm-fuzzies! He makes me smile so often, and he gets me out of the messes I work myself into, as well. (If he hadn't suggested it, the photos would be of me holding a tree limb, sweating my tush off over the open fire/water trough contraption...)

Erin, I would happily stalk any of our current neighbors out of their homes if you would move down here. Just pick a house and I'll get on it. We miss you guys!

Melora, FWIW, the entire house suffers from "The Prometheus Effect", if you know what I mean. ;-)

Rebel said...

Brilliant! That sounds like something my dh would think of. You should let the RIT people know so they can add it to their instructions.

Konkadoo said...

Oh! It's the couch pictures! I'm finally getting on to catch up on the blog and I'm glad I caught this one.

That did make a cool looking pattern.

I admit I don't think something so creative would have ever occurred to me.

Ritsumei said...

The kitchen is lovely and the fabric is *beautiful*!

Jenni said...

Wow! That came out so cool! You're very creative, thinking of that cement mixer. I think I would have asked someone if I could borrow their top loader or taken it to a laundromat. Would 13 yards fit into a top loader? I do have a cement mixer in my driveway, so I'll keep this in mind in case I have any large amounts of fabric to dye!

Bob and Claire said...

I'm coming in late on this, but I just wanted to say the couch looke great!! I love the color and how amazingly creative you all were to get it that color! And your kitchen/dining/family room looks great too. I think back to those horrible pictures of the mold house back when you first started, and the transformation is just miraculous!

Staci Eastin said...

I to think I never thought I'd ever need a cement mixer.