Wednesday, August 27

Getting in the Picture

Donna posted a wonderful tidbit about getting in the picture *now* - don't put it off until you've lost weight, or done your hair, or whatever reason you give yourself for not wanting to have your picture taken. She's right. She's so very right. I have very few photographs of my own Mother, and perhaps two of her together with me. I wish I had more of them. She was beautiful. Sometimes, however, the problem isn't so much a reluctance to be photographed...
It would seem that some of us are just a bit too, erm, animated to be photographed. And when the photographer isn't really paying attention to the Mommy (who can blame him, when he's got such a plethora of adorable, smaller subjects, really?) the result isn't quite what Mom would like for her Lifelong Memorial.
I submit, in my defense, the most recent string of family pictures which include yours truly...
I particularly love the Ichabod Crane-themed shot. Yeah. These are some of the better ones.
It would seem that my issue is not pride (duh - posting these is evidence enough of that), nor is it lack of opportunity (the horses just kept coming around and around, so Zorak snapped away - he's very good about that). It seems that I am simply way too animated to be photographed. Or, something. I'm not sure which.
Of course, it doesn't help that over the course of a four-day trip, the camera was pointed, while not exactly *at* me, at least in my general direction, exactly twice (on the merry-go-round, and again on the train, as you can see). I usually have the camera, and nobody holds still long enough to use the timer. Those would be some sad, sad shots of me, all alone, standing in front of random backgrounds, talking to invisible people outside the frame. But the facial expressions would be similar, so really, what's the point?
So, if you start with limited opportunities, and add in slightly manic physical behavior, you have children who will wonder, as they peruse the family photos, exactly what affliction their mother suffered for her to be always making those faces. But they will love their father even more for staying with her, in spite of that. So, that's something.
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Becca said...

I'm always holding the camera, but I really need to be better at getting in some of these pictures with my babies. So thanks for the great reminder!

Melora said...

I know what you mean about the lack of pictures. I'm usually the one holding the camera, and Ed tends to take blurry pictures (which, as I get older, isn't always such a bad thing!).
I thought those pictures of you were nice. Animated it Good. And a woman with five young children probably needs to be pretty animated. Your trip to Dollywood sounded (and looked) like fun! Dollywood never would have crossed my mind as a place to visit, but it is only about four hours away from us, and I'm sure the kids would love it.

Jenni said...

"But they will love their father even more for staying with her, in spite of that." Alrighty then! I may just post some of those ridiculous pictures. I usually am holding the camera, but when I'm not, the result is much the same. Only worse. Much worse.

melissa said...

Animated, yes. But looking great just the same! Thanks for letting me keep you on the phone half the night in my lonely stupor!

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

My mother was rarely photographed because she really truly hated the result. It is sad, because we have TONS of photo albums from my childhood and just a couple of photos of my mom.

I vowed that OUR family photo albums would not be that way! The trouble is that my husband doesn't take pictures. If I hand him the camera and say "take my picture right now please" then he will, but it simply never occurs to him to pick it up on his own. So we have adorable pictures of the kids, and the kids with Daddy, and very few of kiddos with Mommy.

Ah well. Every now and then I take one of myself, just to make sure no one thinks I died. :)

Konkadoo said...

I love seeing the picture of the face behind the typing. It makes things far more personal.

I am almost always the one taking pictures. It's my obsession.

Amber said...

LOL!! Thanks for that - this is so timely. I was taking pictures of Nathan and me with Nathan in the sling (I have the same problem that Emily does) and I thought - huh, I'm kinda funny looking here. Maybe if I, you know, did something other than a ponytail w/ my hair, ditched the glasses and, I dunno, tried some make-up or something I might be kind of passable, but as it is... well, yeah, kinda funny looking.

But you know? I really don't care. I'm not sure I'll post those ones from this morning on my blog (they seem a little blurry too - I have such a hard time taking a picture of myself at arm's reach), but I'm not going to delete them from my computer... after all, my kiddos see me like this now, they might as well see me like this later on too. *grin*