Sunday, August 3

Project Blogging - Completed(ish) Couch

Well, here's what we started with... or, no, scratch that. We started with a free white couch almost six years ago. It was used when our neighbor got it, and it still looked great when he decided he didn't want to move it, so we thought it would wear well, in spite of its color. (We were wrong. It had worn well because the two previous owners had each been childless men with impeccable taste and meticulous cleaning habits. The fabric had nothing to do with it. Go figure.) Note the tear on the cushion, and the fact that it's not white. The uglier portions are cleverly concealed by Gram's awesome Family Blanket.
I'm thinking this, also, may have had some bearing on the overal condition of the fabric...


But if I have to pick, I'm keeping the children. And the ice cream. We can live in a museum when they're grown and gone.


And that's it for "before" pictures. Would you believe that out of the 20,000+ images stored on our computer, there are fewer than a dozen that include the couch to any recognizable degree? So, without further fanfare or apologies, here is the new cover on the couch. Everything is removable, machine washable, and made of heavy canvas. The striped stuff on the front is fabric I'd bought five years ago to recover it, but never got around to using. In hindsight, I'm glad because it's not nearly sturdy enough to withstand this home. These children. Our life. But it does make a nice decorative edge. In order to make it look more intentional, I'm going to make some comfy throw pillows that'll have both fabrics on them.


I still need to sew on the closures, which will eliminate the wrinkly bits on the arms and sides. And the front needs some elastic and hemming. However, I'm down to one needle, so I'm going to wait on attempting those so that I won't be dead in the water (again) if when I break another needle.


I could list a thousand things you could do to make a cover for your couch that would look exponentially better than this. You could measure the fabric. You could cut with a straight edge. You could plan ahead of time. You could do it when children aren't frolicking in the pin boxes or peeing in the hall. Really, there is so much you could do differently than I did. But, as Nestor says, "It doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful." If I waited to do it perfectly, we'd still be telling the kids not to pick the stuffing out of the hole in the cushion. And nobody would want to sit on the couch.


There are a few other niggling things that I want to fix, but Zorak asked me to "let it wear for a month or so and then see what adjustments it needs". Do you get the feeling he's sick of this project? Might like his wife back? Yeah, me, too. So, I'll finish the hem and the closures. And then we'll live with it for a while.


(Please ignore the socks - they were clean when he put them on this morning. And kindly overlook the coffee table. I've nicknamed it Prometheus, as it gets put right every night and then the little eagles come and destroy it anew each morning. It's all part of a Classical Adventure.) In all, my goals were to improve the overall appearance of the couch (check!), make the couch inviting to sit on again (check!), and create a warmer, happier space for the family to spend time together (check!) So. Mission accomplished. (But I do think I'm happier doing woodworking. Definitely happier working with wood. But sometimes we have to step out of our comfort zones, and that's okay, too.)


Kiss those babies!
~Dy

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL. See, I wouldn't have cut straight, or measured, or planned, either. I love you for that.

And I need you here, 'kay? My couch needs help. It's a wood frame, but the cushions on it are thinning and I don't want to buy new cushions. The covers are washable, but the covering on the bolsters which are ATTACHED to wood are not, and they're ... wow.

I may totally steal your decorative edge idea. Wood framed-couches don't have fabric going down that far, but it would soften things up nicely.

Good job!

mere said...

Yaaaay!!!

Bravo! I think it looks great and yes, done is better than perfect. You have worked so hard on it and now it's functional AND washable. WAY TO GO!!!

Prometheus...hilarious! At least the little eagles aren't ripping your liver out every day! So, if the coffee table is Prometheus is the sofa Lazarus, come back from the dead? (Sorry, couldn't think of any classical Greek figures coming back from the dead except Eurydice, and she didn't quite make it)

You are awesome, you know that, right?

mere

Dy said...

Stephanie, a skirt will hide your wooden frame nicely! Go for it! (And the stuff that's stuck to the frame? It can be ripped, cut, or seared off, depending on your level of desperation. Then you can make something w/ velcro that is detachable and washable, instead!

Mere, you make me laugh so hard! Eurydice might be a better call, since the couch didn't technically make it, either. ;-)

Oh, and you know, the blue/white striped stuff doesn't look like it doesn't match quite as much in person. Honest. It blends better. I think the flash really played a number on the normal blending points, but it's not that glaringly different.

Dy

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Awesome job, Dy! I kept thinking I should do a washable slipcover on ours instead of reupholstering it, but I kept coming back to the conclusion that I preferred the staple gun over the sewing machine. Go figure.

Heidicrafts said...

Straight edge or not, the vertical skirt stripes look great. Mission accomplished, back pats for you.

And the fabric feels cozy, yes?

Anonymous said...

Great job! I am so encouraged to take on face lifts for the used furniture in our sweet space. Unfortunately, we have one cushion that "shares" its stuffing whether we "pluck" at it or not ~ dang!

Oh, and the view out your windows is lovely. The trees are so lovely ~

Create a great day,

Pamela

Erin said...

You are awesome! I can't find time to shower and you (with one more kid) found the time to recover the couch! Be proud of yourself, it looks great.

Dy said...

Oh, KathyJo, you have no idea how tempted I was to break out the staple gun. But I know us, and we are dirty little crumb droppers and coffee spillers. I figured the time spent w/ the machine was worth the yelling I wouldn't do when things got spilled. However, I will readily admit that I've got to buy pinking shears b/c the mere thought of using my serger on this thing made me CRY. So I have to buy those before I can wash it again. ;-)

Heidi, the fabric is awesome. It's soft, which I will love come winter, and it's cool, which we're loving now. Thanks. :-)

Pamela, I do plan to post some kinda-sorta how-to's, and I'll post the pictures of the new stuffing covers for you. No more shedding - you'll love it! And yes, the views are gorgeous. That's why we've spent the time to fix up a structure that should've been torched - the land is beautiful. :-)

Erin, yeah, my "one more kid" is four months old. And I started this a week or two before he was born, remember? And I don't shower too often, either. ;-) Keep cutting yourself some slack and remember that we can do anything, if only we'll cut enough corners and take long enough to get it done, okay? That's our new mantra!(But don't tell Chris!) Love you!

Thanks for the encouragement, guys. Now the futon-chair we made looks REALLY ugly sitting beside this, so a new cushion and cover for that are on the to-do list, now. I may need to come back to this post and re-read the comments when I'm half-way through that project.

Dy

Anonymous said...

You did an awesome job, Dy!!! 8)

Amy@thefoilhat.com

Amber said...

It looks great, Dy, way to go! I'm impressed too that you got it done with everything else going on in your world right now. :-)

Personally I'd much rather tackle a sewing project (although a slip-cover for a couch is rather intimidating!) than something in wood... but then again, I'm still trying to get over my fear of power tools. At least I can use a cordless drill and a circular saw without too much internal quaking. Now I just need to get brave enough to use the nail gun and the table saw. *grin*

Sheila said...

We once bought a couch and loveseat specifically because it would be easy for me to sew coveres for it.
Ask me how many covers I have sewn for it.

ZERO! Apparently, I once had delusions of sewing granduer.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Ok, I am officially naming my living room Prometheus. That is EXACTLY what happens in our house! :)

Anonymous said...

Wow! I think you did a wonderful job, Dy! What a process, and I am in awe. I just don't think couch covers is something I would be brave enough to tackle. Kudos to you, my dear.

Oh, can I just say I LOVE the curtains in back of the couch too. Between the curtains, the couch, and the paint on the walls... it all comes together nicely, and it all just screams, "Come sit, have some coffee, no worries, and we'll just enjoy the children."

~dawn

pilgrimama said...

I am comforted by the dirty socks!At least my boys aren't the only ones! Marcella

Staci Eastin said...

Very nice. I have an ugly couch in the basement that won't fit back up the stairs unless we saw it in half. I have needed to make a slipcover for a long time and keep putting it off.