Monday, August 11

Still not farmers.

Or, more appropriately, "Damnit, Jim, I'm a mother, not a horticulturalist!"

Zorak and I took our random ramble around the property to check on the fruit, and we found this:

Sooty Blotch and Flyspeck. Ew. (Yes, Hillary, more mold! LOL! Actually, they're fungi, from what I've read.) OK, I keep telling myself that we eat mushrooms, and mushrooms are fungi... but reading that these are "cosmetic" flaws, and that the apples are still edible... kinda heebes me out, to be truthful. The sooty stuff washes off. The flyspeck (could they have come up with a less appetizing name, huh?) doesn't go all the way through the skin. So, I guess, technically, it could be cut off.

And you betcha, I've researched how to head it off for next year. It starts this fall, with burning the leaves. Thankfully, we're raising a houseful of pyros-in-training, so I don't think we'll have to engage in much arm twisting to get the project started. More pruning in late winter, to improve air flow and sunlight penetration. And, then we'll have to decide if we want to go with fungicides or not. So far, everything we've grown (*cough, sputter, aherm*) is "Organic". Actually, it's "Apathetically Organic" - which means there are no pesticides, chemicals, or unnatural feeds, etc, only because we never get around to it. However, this trial-by-fire-and-total-lack-of-preparedness approach may reap serious benefits in the end, no?

The pears on one tree are HUMONGOUS, but not ripe yet. They look like they could kill someone when they let fall, though. Makes me nervous to have them dangling there. The few pears that survived on the second pear tree are teeny-tiny, and the most beautiful reddish color. They're starting to ripen now, which is exciting.

AND, we found the persimmon tree! Several hundred yards from where we thought it was! (Maybe there are two?) How cool, huh? What, um, what does one do with persimmons? Besides trying to figure out when they're ripe, that is. (On this week's checklist!) It may not have more than two dozen fruits on it, and we may not have any idea what to do with them, but it's exciting nonetheless.

Zorak's managed to urge the late-plant "Desperation Garden" along quite nicely, and we've been enjoying zucchini from it this week. The okra is trying to produce. We're cheering it on! Go, okra, go! C'mon and grow, babies! *rah, rah, rah* (That's the extent of my gardening skills, thanks.) The melons, pumpkins, and peas are toodling along, doing their thing. I don't know if they'll produce in the end, but it's fun to watch.

And that's the big gardening update from the Forever Home.

7 comments:

Amber said...

I've made persimmon bread before from mashed persimmons... it was quite good. I'm not entirely sure where the recipe is though. Hmm. I know it wasn't WF though! Other than that, I have no idea what to do with persimmons. If you figure out anything, let me know as I have about 8 cups of it in my freezer!

That's a bummer about your apples though - but at least you have a plan of attack now. :-) And I'm with you on the organic thing, we do the same thing... not that I particularly want to use the various gunk that's out there, but between the cost and the time to do it - well, it just isn't going to happen around here!

Jennie C. said...

The pears: I forget where I read it, but it was just last week. Pears shouldn't be let to ripen on the tree because they ripen from the inside out? And if you wait till the outside is ripe, the inside is already too smooshy. Oh, yes. It was a Hobby Farms article.

Good luck! (And I used to eat "blemished" apples all the time growing up. :-) )

melissa said...

Blemish - slemish. I'd be eatin' those things. Congrats on all the edibles at your place! And my mom makes a persimmon bread pudding that is out of this world......and I'm not a real bread pudding kinda gal. Has anyone in your family ever eaten an UN-RIPE persimmon??? (evil cackle)This is one of those experiences that will definitely make a mark on a persons childhood!! LOL! Good stuff.

Jenni said...

We had dreams of planting a small apple orchard here, but we have too many eastern red cedars and the two together often equal apple cedar rust. It would be terrible (and a lot of work) to cut down all the native growing cedars. After our trip to California and seeing how so many people there have mini orchards and vineyards and ohjusteverything growing in their yards, I feel inspired to get serious about setting up a spot to have a garden next spring. The yard work that has been kind of holding things up is close to done, so maybe we can move on to the garden bed. And I really, really want blackberries!

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

Amber, my mom has a really good recipe for persimmon pudding. You should get it from her. I would post it here, Dy, but I can't find it. :(

Amy said...

You have to read the Epossomondas books, especially "Why Epossumondus Has No Hair on His Tail" to the youngers. We loved this book!

Anonymous said...

Ah! I see someone else has said not to let the pears ripen on the tree.

I only wish my peach tree had not been killed off by the winter cold :(.

Enjoy!

Jean