Friday, June 20

Warts and All

You know how, once in a while you come across someone you just adore, and you hit it off, and even when you don't agree, it's all good...

but still, you think maybe they'd not take kindly to the vice (or two...) you happen to have in the closet...

and then they find out, and they don't care, and you could just send them a Gorilla-Gram or an Amish stripper. Or, something.

But you don't because now you *really* want to remain friends?

Yeah. I love it when that happens.

On the other tidbits around here:
* We were on time to piano for the third week running! WOOT! Granted, we shaved it close enough that I had to slow down and shove the kids out, paratrooper style, so they could run in while I found a place to park. So, we don't quite rock, but hey, we aren't horribly pathetic anymore, either. Yay, us! (And I'm kidding. I came to a full stop. And they jump out on their own. I don't have to push 'em anymore.)
* Didn't get the garden mulched. The rootbound plants are going to die a lingering death. Perhaps we can rectify that tomorrow. Or simply prolong the death. We'll play it by ear.
* Glad to know the snake wasn't poisonous. Kinda bummed that we've been so hard on the non-poisonous snake population in Northern Alabama. But then, again, that's because we haven't yet been accosted by the poisonous ones, and for that, I'm doubly glad.
* What eats poisonous snakes? Whatever it is, I want to raise that. (I've heard a hog will eat snakes - truth? hoax? Someone who just thinks it'd be funny to watch me try to raise hogs?)
* Having a hard time finding that magic frequency 9yo boys can hear and comprehend. He's a good boy. Heart of gold. Extends compassion and aid to those in need. Wonderful, wonderful child in so many ways. However, I seem to speak in a tone that falls somewhere between "can't make out a word you're saying, Mom, so I'll go about my merry way and do what I want" and "yes, ma'am. I'm sorry, ma'am. I don't have an excuse. Or a reason. But ya know, as bad as I feel right now, I'm probably going to blow you off again in the next five minutes, anyway." I won't quit trying, but so help me, if his internal receiver switches frequencies again when he turns ten, I may take up tweezing my leg hairs in order to find a non-destructive outlet for my frustration.
* When did Smidge quit being a Smidge? He's really growing up fast, guys. Wow.
* EmBaby has barrettes now. We're hoping they'll stay in longer than clippies. So far, the only way I've found to keep her hair out of her face is to brush it straight back after her bath and then hairspray it into place. Helmet head isn't attractive on anyone, not even a 2yo. So, I'm putting a lot of hope into these barrettes.
* And did you know that the active ingredient in "After Bite" (which looks like the latest version of "Sting-EZ") is ammonia? AND that it works!?! I guess there's some truth to the whole backcountry hiking tip to urinate on a bite/sting. However, we'll just buy extra tubes of After Bite and call it good, I think.

OK, way past my bedtime. Busy day tomorrow! Kiss those babies, of all ages. Even the big ones need it -- sometimes more! ;-)
~Dy

8 comments:

Jenni said...

Uh, where can I get an Amish stripper? 'Cause that would just be hilarious. After you let me in on that secret, I've got to figure out who I could send one to.

Sheila said...

Ammonia....how about window cleaner. That would be a whole lot better than peeing on it. Just saying.

I have heard that Hog snakes eat snakes but I have never seen it. I have seen a Hog snakes eat mice and frogs. I happen to like the frogs.
The corn snake you whacked also ate mice.

9 year old boys are incapable of hearing. I just try to speak slowly and make him repeat it back to me. Oh...and I link any fun event to toothbrushing. That gets them to say all kinds of fuuny things. "Can I ride my bike? I've brushed my teeth."

mere said...

Ten seems to be an age where some maturity starts showing through, but then is hastily cloaked with an outrageously immature action. Get your tweezers ready.

I wonder if Em might like a little bitty bandana or headband to keep the hair out of the eyes? You have to share a picture of her with her barrettes now that you've given us that teaser!

Hogs will eat anything, but personally, after smelling a hog, I'd rather have the snakes. If you don't want the snakes, then reduce their food source...cats are good for this (yes, I am partial). Maybe one or two barn cats? They will eat smaller snakes, too.

Have a good one!
mere

Bob and Claire said...

I'm glad the snake wasn't poisonous! When it comes to snakes, my policy is "shoot now, ask questions later", so I would have bashed away too, LOL. My boys found a snake yesterday, and they wanted to take pictures, etc. I told them to STAY AWAY from it. After some computer work, I think it was a non-poisonous rat snake, but still . . . yeee. Snakes are not my boat.

LOLing at Emily's hair--we have nothing like that to deal with here! Anna's hair has gotten longer, especially in back, but she still looks like a 40 year old man with a receding hairline, LOL.

Urban Mom said...

I think 4yo girls share the same mom-frequency-deafness. Of course, that sorta beats the time she said, "I'm not going to do that" and walked away. U-Dad had to tackle me like a football player. So maybe just being somewhat deaf is really better. And safer for everyone involved.

Rebel said...

*snicker* A King snake will eat venomous snakes...just for the record, I'm not trying to be all know-it-all here, but there are no poisonous snakes, only venomous ones. Venom is injected whereas poison is ingested. (Sorry, it's just something I'm trained to say at every zoo snake presentation.)

Guineas are supposed to scare snakes away, but the neighbor has 30 roaming both our properties and we still have Rat snakes. Maybe we would have more without them though.

momanna98 said...

I hear about the frequency. Boy, do I hear you... It's funny, too, because I just mentioned something like that I my blog. :-) My oldest will be 10 in a couple weeks. I hope it gets better. Otherwise I will be coming to your leg tweezing party. ;-)

Dy said...

Well, I'm glad it's not just my 9yo. :-) That does make me feel better.

Rebel, I *heart* you! I totally get the clarification. I'm like that with "excretion" vs. "secretion", which people mix up all the time, too. Thanks for the tip! (But you know I'm still cringing over the "grab him by the tail" suggestion, dont' you?) ;-)

We had king snakes in Arizona. I remember hearing they're a natural enemy of the coral snake - which is, to use Amy's phrase, a bad warlock - and so the kings were allowed to live at all costs. They were very pretty, and fairly shy. These rat snakes keep popping up *everywhere* - kitchen window, gutter, garden box. ARGH. If we must have snakes, I'd like shy, awkward, shrinking violet types. ;-)

UrbanMom, yeah, they all have to try the boundary pushing moves at some point, don't they? Good hubby! I love the tag-team parenting action. Saved all of us more than once.

Mere, Em will wear a bandana - for about five minutes. Headbands of all types receive an instant flinging, followed by a ginormous fit. It's weird. She's a goofnut.