Friday, June 27

Go, Team Zorak!

Well, the baby survived. James got to feed him, which he thought was Very Cool, Indeed. The kids helped Zorak with Jase and then they worked in the garden and let me stay inside to recover. It was nice to know that all went well while I was away. I love my family - they pull together to beautifully when they're needed.

The dentist visit also went well. He laughed at me for falling asleep. Repeatedly. Yeah, that's weird. I can say that facing your fears through submersion is pretty effective. Ten years ago, I had to blink back tears the minute my butt hit the chair. Now, particularly after the umpteen thousand hours I've spent under that x-files style lighting (what's up with that, anyway?) the last three years, it doesn't phase me a bit. I've got to go in for a root canal either Monday or Tuesday - and then back on Wednesday to cement the two crowns they did today, prep for the root canal crown, and prep on another crown on the other side. I think there's one more visit after that, and then we'll have to make some big decisions on where to go from there. I'm seriously going to have to download the Bionic Woman soundtrack for the drive! (At the very least, that cool running noise she made - remember that?) Oh, and the opening bars of The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly soundtrack. What a way to get psyched up for an appointment!

The boys are now all begging to go see their dentist. I'm not sure why, exactly, but I'll run with it. It's time for their checkups, anyway.

The big-big news, though, is that there's a box winging it's way to us from Rainbow Resource this week, and another one from Logos School, too! So. Stoked about that! Oh, yeah... stuff to do while we hide from the summer heat!

Finished Midshipman Hornblower, and am about halfway through Lieutenant Hornblower. What fun! I love to go to sea. I can hardly wait for James to pick up these books. I need a reading buddy. :-) But I'm not going to rush him - this is all going way too quickly, as it is.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

If you like the Hornblower books, can I make a recommendation? The 7-book series of the so-called Seafort Saga, by David Feintuch. I never like science fiction too much but these had me glued to the pages. The books are:

Midshipman's Hope (1994)
Challenger's Hope (1995)
Prisoner's Hope (1995)
Fisherman's Hope (1996)
Voices of Hope (1996)
Patriarch's Hope (1999)
Children of Hope (2001)

There was an eagerly anticipated 8th book being written when Mr. Feintuch died in 2006. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Feintuch .

Josh

Dy said...

Josh, I'll admit it, I'm a sucker for nautical action. Since I still can't bring myself to read Patrick O'Brien's 21 (as that would mean I'd have to admit that he is really, truly gone, and has taken Aubrey and Maturin with him...), I veered over to Hornblower.

Feintuch's books do look interesting. I'm not normally big on sci-fi, either, but then I remembered how very much I enjoyed Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover Landfall, and so, they're now on my list to look for. Thanks!

Dy

Melora said...

Ooooh! I'll look forward to hearing about what you got from Rainbow! I just finished putting together my first "9 Weeks" notebooks for TOG & binding them with my darling proClick -- I'm in a curriculum-y mood!

My dad read Hornblower aloud when I was a kid, so I have a certain attachment to it, but my parents have since informed me that O'Brien is even better. So I have what I hope is the first O'Brien in my reading stack but am so far behind in my reading that Travis may get to it first!

Did James & John like Imitations in Writing? Travis is doing well with Writing Tales II, but I'm dithering over whether to go immediately to CW Homer next. Decisions, decisions!

Dy said...

Melora, O'Brien is much, much better, imho. His characters are deeper, more fully developed. I just love Stephen! (He grows on you.) Get them, and love them. And then tell me what you thought!

James liked the samples of IW that we did. John hasn't seen them yet. I never know with him - he'll either dive in with gusto, or he'll suffer a stroke and beg to go lay down.

I ordered Aesop and Fairy Tales, though, so that they'll be doing different work. We don't try to compare them, but they size each other up on their own and it makes me nuts. They both forget that there's nearly a 2-year difference in their ages (and, consequently, in their development), so it can get hairy. It's going to take some deep breathing exercizes on my part before I take the plunge with CW! (You go first! LOL!) But this year, I really would like to see more intentional writing, from both of them.

Dy

hornblower said...

Waaaaaaaaaa! You said O'Brien is better. Pout. Pout.
That's OK. I agree with you actually. So does dh, whose screen name on a couple online thingies is stevenmaturin...... Bah. I still like Ioan Gruffud. Cause I'm a shallow person, really, & though this did all start with reading the books while at an impressionable age, Mr. Gruffud cemented it.

Good luck with finishing up the dental stuff.