Thursday, June 19

This is why I'm not a master gardener.

We picked up some free plants from the feed store Tuesday. (Yes, the fact that we're waiting until the little seedlings are rootbound and free until we get them probably contributes to the reason I'm not a master gardener. But that's not the point.) So, we weeded the raised beds in the upper meadow, and then I began to turn them so that we could add compost and get the little plants put into the ground.

But when I took my shovel to one of the beds, I couldn't raise it. What in the world? When did I become the 98-pound weakling? Erngh. Huhhhhnh. I finally got the shovel to lift up out of the ground, only to find this...
Well, it didn't look like that when it first came out. I could swear to you it was three times bigger and had glowing red eyes. I'm pretty sure I heard it whisper, "I am here for your soul." So, I did what anyone would do when something announces it's here for your soul. I bashed it in the head with the shovel. Or, I meant to bash it in the head, but I have no depth perception, so I kinda got everything but the head. At which point I called for Daddy to come save me. He came running up the hill, took in the scene, chuckled, and said it didn't look like I needed saving. (But I still felt better that he was there.)

Anyone know what this thing is? Is it a good witch, or a bad witch? Here's the belly. I've tried googling it. Got hits on some fantastic tattoo designs, but nothing on what to call this thing.

So, anyway, I called it a day after that, and we'll have to put the tomatoes in later, after I've had a beer or two. (*snort* Like that's going to help with my aim, right?)

Kiss those babies!
Dy

14 comments:

Ernest said...

This is why I like living in the land of the north. The only snakes you run into are the two-legged government variety.

From the shape of the head and the coloration, I believe that may be a copperhead. Good shovel work.

mere said...

My best guess is a corn snake, which is harmless to humans. They shape of it's head also looks benign (long and skinny as opposed to arrow shaped)

Here's a trick: Try to look at it's pupils (I know, hard to do when you are panickingand trying to whack it with a shovel!)...if they are round it is non-venomous, unless it's a coral snake which will be very obvious because of it's coloration. Even if it is a coral snake they have to chew on you for a while to break the skin, because they have no fangs, and they are not aggressive.

It's pretty alarming to find a snake when you are not expecting it! Whew! I'm glad it wasn't a biter.

mere

Amy said...

Oy. You were much more level-headed than I would have been. Don't know what it is, but in my opinion, your actions were justified, good or bad warlock (all snakes are male, don't you know?).

Amy said...

I think it's a rat snake (ie, good warlock). Read the description here:

http://www.outdoorsalabama.com/watchable-wildlife/what/Reptiles/Snakes/ratsnake.cfm

Also lots of info on that website on what you may find in your great state!

Jennie C. said...

I'm thinking corn or rat snake, too. (I think they're the same.) It's hard to tell from that blurry picture, though! Stop shaking before you take the photo next time. :-)

Rebel said...

I think it's a corn snake. The coloring can vary and be darker like your specimen. They like to nest in loose soil. You could be like me and drag it off by its tail. :-)

http://www.outdooralabama.com/watchable-wildlife/what/Reptiles/Snakes/cs.cfm

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Who cares? The only good snake is a dead snake. :)

My last encounter with a snake was one slithering across my foot. While my screams were still echoing, Ernie-the-jackass wonders aloud if it might have been a copperhead. Then, the bastard blogged about it. He better be glad I didn't read his blog back then.

Amber said...

Oh, wow, my goodness! I think I would have dropped the shovel and high-tailed it out of there - or at least back a good 15 feet without even realizing it. Not that I particularly have a problem with snakes... that is when they are in glass cages and expected!

Can't help at all on the ID though, that's never been my forte either.

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness! You know Dy I'm kinda disappointed that you didn't go all Croc Hunter on us! :-D

Take a nice branch and pick up the snake by the tail...

LOL!

~sdWTMer

melissa said...

My boys say it looks like a corn snake, definitely not poisonous. A good guy. One of the things I pride myself on is encouraging the boys in their love of all that reptile stuff (which came naturally). They save me on a monthly basis!

Sheila said...

Corn snake. The checkerboard is definative.

For like a nanosecond, I think "Poor Snake" but then I'm over it.

Snake had a choice of how to live his life....he chose poorly.

Jenni said...

LOL at Sheila's comment, "He chose poorly." Look at it this way, you saved him from a life of slithering on his belly and eating bugs or rodents. Who wants to live like that?

I'm going to have to check into the comment about coral snakes having to "chew on you a while". They scare me. We don't have them here, but some of the places we've gone do have them and they have a different type of venom that will kill ya deader. Hemotoxin vs. neurotoxin or something.

Ernest said...

I can't believe nobody seconded my vote for copperhead. Look at the belly! Look at the belly!

Rebel said...

Ernest - the cornsnake has that same belly pattern and Dy's snake doesn't have a triangular head shape.