Monday, June 30

Another Day of Moving Forward

When I look out the kitchen windows now, there are handrails peeking above the sills. They make me smile. Zorak got his quotes for deck boards this weekend, too. It's coming together!

The boys found blackberries down by the barn! They're overjoyed. Yep, it's the blackberries we spent three days ripping out last spring. You know, so we could plant... blackberries. (I've never claimed we were farmers, here, folks! As a matter of fact, I do believe I've been completely upfront about the fact that I do not come from hearty farmer stock.) In my defense, we were going to put in thornless berries, and these have thorns. The boys, however, simply do not care. Zorak and I sat on the porch (under the ceiling fan), watching the boys scamper toward the barn, and we both said, "This is why we bought this place!" Good, good stuff.

We went to church today. Made it to the 8:15 service ON TIME. And everybody was dressed. And clean. No, I have no idea how this happened. This is an LCMS church, so it's close to the PCA. Close enough, at this point. They have three services from which to choose, so we opted for the traditional service. Even going the trad-route, it's just a wee bit slick and shiny, but the children all felt at home immediately. Smidge, our church-barometer, asked, as we walked to the car afterword, "Can we make this the church we go to every Sunday?" He has never said that about any church other than the one we have membership at. Zorak and I were both bowled over. Normally, he asks when we can go back to "our church". Sometimes he cries. So, this enthusiasm was huge. Zorak had no major qualms with it, other than the slickness of the presentation. (It's not like the BigShinyChurch we visited last year. This is more the way you can spot someone from Dallas vs. any other town in Texas. There's a slick veneer, a polish to their mannerisms and carriage that's very definitive. But, um, unless you know about the Dallas Effect, this makes no sense at all.) So, in all, it was good.

And now, we begin again with a new week. My Rainbow order is IN Huntsville! *squeal like a leetle guuurl* No clue on my Logos order. I received an order confirmation, but when I login and try to check the status, nothing appears. I'll wait the recommended waiting time before I call and pester them about it. This is a busy time of year for curriculum vendors. Remind me this week to post John and Smidge's year plans, too. (That way I can find them in November, when I can't remember what we were going to do next!)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

mere said...

Ha ha ha! The Dallas Effect. I saw LOTS of that this weekend, but had a wonderful time in spite of it.

Blackberry cobbler sounds in order...if there are any left after the boys were done with them.

Have a great day!
mere

Melora said...

Our neighbor laughed at us when he saw us planting (thornless) blackberries too. Apparently there are lots growing wild, but not in OUr yard. I Love blackberry pie.

I don't know what LCMS stands for, but I'm so Wowed that you made an 8:15 service. You guys are So Organized! And how nice that Smidge loved it! We tried a new church on Sunday, and No one liked it. (But it is less than half the distance of our church, so it was worth a try!)

Jenni said...

I had to look up PCA and LCMS, but I knew what you were talking about instantly when you said "Dallas Effect":o) I'm glad you've found somewhere you're more comfortable. Hopefully you'll become even more comfortable over time--just not so comfortable you start showing up UNdressed. Sure, it would save time, that is a very early service, and it does get hot there in the summertime, but all things decently and in order and all that. Plus, I don't care how well I get to know people, I don't want to see them nekkid. That's a little too familiar. Ya know?

Okay, maybe I should have gone with the emphasis on clean. There should only be one meaning to "pew" in church. I think that covers it;o)

Anonymous said...

That Dallas comment is hilarious! I went to college in Abilene and there was a plethora (love that word) of those slick Dallasites! Yikes. Thanks for the giggle Dy. I can always count on you! :-D

Off topic, the eldest ds, is at Webelos Resident camp this week! We just found out that he passed the swim test yesterday (sweat over), so that means he can go canoeing and whatnot in the lake. I'm so excited for him, although it is soooo hard to deal with him being gone because the youngest is bored to tears!

~sdWTMer

Urban Mom said...

Isn't it fun to get new school stuff? I loved it as a student (the effect wore off before October, of course). I love it now too. And we don't even order that much at this point! Loved the description of watching the boys running back and forth -- serene, warm vibes there. Very cool.

=-)