Wednesday, June 25

Things that make us smile.

I think this summer we will finally put some photographs on the walls. However, I've rummaged through the ones we have framed and stored, and you know, I just don't think many of the old Sears or Olan Mills or Target photos are going to make the cut. Aside from the fact that we've had a few children since the last one was taken, there's also that they aren't "us". They barely look like us, other than my trademark fang-bearing snarl. (Always a indicative that I've tried to hold a smile for any length of time. Lovely legacy, that. *snort*)

But also, I think we take more fun photographs. Lighthearted, reflective, intuitive. Nobody we can afford can capture Our Home the way we can. Now, don't go thinking I'm getting all uppity about my mad photography skills. 90% of what I take is crap. But there are some differences that lead me, in my more sleep-deprived moments, to believe we could create some lovely artwork for the walls with the genetic experiments we have on hand (namely that I'm not limited by a time slot, and I'm free to capture things the way they are everyday, which they most definitely are not when we're in a studio.)

So, I've decided to get a little out-there and round up some of our favorite shots, mix 'em up in black and white (the ultimate skin tone modifier!) and have some fun with it. Enough of this standard, utilitarian, pre-packaged decor.


We need framed 5x7's like this one, don't you think? (Well, perhaps not this one - it's grainy - I cannot, for the life of me, figure out the right settings for indoor shots with this camera. But you get the idea.)
So, that's my Fun Project for the summer. Perhaps it'll keep me so busy I won't be whining about the hot 'n sticky aspect of it? Maybe. Probably not. But fortunately, I can multitask!
Want to share your favorite photographs? I'd love to see them!
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

2 comments:

Jenni said...

Yes! I definitely think you're on the right track with this. I was just talking to my mom about it the other day. Back when all of the kids were homeschooled, I felt guilty now and then about not having their pictures taken at least once a year--you know, *school* portraits. I think I took them to Walmart twice (well, once for the younger two) and then gave up. I wasn't happy with the pictures in any way. Even if they'd have been better, they wouldn't have been REAL. It's like posing life-sized dolls who faintly resemble my kids, oh, and who are much wigglier than dolls. And the backdrops! Ugh. Now that the three oldest are/were in public school, they bring home pictures every fall and spring and I always return the packets without purchasing anything. Have you ever walked into a home with an Olan Mills photo wall? There's something creepy about it. If I ever get around to hanging pictures of our family (Ha!), they'll be photos of us living, laughing, and having fun with maybe a few posed-but-not-wooden shots intermingled.

You've posted some wonderful shots on here that are definitely frame and wall worthy. Go Dy! You can do eet! (You have to say that in your Rob Schneider as Adam Sandler movie extra voice, you know.)

I'm working on a similar project with my kids. Jo is ready to have senior pics taken and the grandparents have informed me that they need some updated pictures of everyone. Kids change a lot in 4 years! IF Blogger ever recognizes that I bought more photo storage space, I'll be posting them.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Ah, c'mon Dy. Go see my "About" page. Tell me that photo is not FUN and really US. :D

Seriously, though, I also prefer the best of the shots we've taken ourselves. In fact, I think the only ones we actually have on the walls are some old B&W ones that I took and even printed myself. Any new B&W ones are just gonna hafta get photoshopped into existence, though. :)