Thursday, April 10

We Made It!

Another Thursday and no blood, no lost children, no foul. WOOHOO! But first, gratuitous JT photo:
Piano went well. I did notice today that John doesn't play as fluidly for his teacher as he does at home. He seems much more timid and cautious. The entire time we're there, he is quiet and reserved. I spoke with his teacher about this, and we are hoping that as he gets more comfortable with her, he'll find that groove. I hope that's all it is. James, who is completely in his element with music and with this teacher, had a fabulous time, got extra work, and would. not. stop. talking. He was begging for new chords and more music even as I shoved him out the door. (I wasn't being curt, it's just that Zorak was already at the car with Em and Smidge.) Once we leave the studio, however, both boys instantly revert to their feral, squirrel-like state and start goofing with each other all the way back to the car. They are such a funny pair, those two.

Then it was on to the baseball games. It seems James has a "fail-proof" batting strategy he's decided to employ. I was unaware of it, but Zorak filled me in during the game. The discussion went something like this:
Me: (watching James at bat) His elbows aren't up.
Zorak: He's not going to swing.
Me: Well, *snort* yeah, he can't from that position.
Zorak: (totally deadpanning it, for my benefit) That is his position.
Me: What? Why isn't he-- (ball whizzes by, James leans waaayyyy back, doesn't swing) What was that?
Zorak: Told you he wouldn't swing.
Me: How'd you know? (ball whizzes by, James leans waaayyy back, doesn't swing) Well, if he'd put his ELBOWS up...
Zorak: Statistically speaking, the odds of a 10-year-old, first-time pitcher getting the ball within the strike zone are much lower than James' odds of making a hit when he swings. So.
Me: Are you making this up?
Zorak: (shooting me a look that says, "you know the stuff he makes up is far stranger than anything *I* make up") No. But he did. If he just doesn't swing, he won't strike out because there'll be enough balls that they'll walk him. (ball whizzes past... again)
Me: Really? And his coach is okay with this?
Zorak: No. But (ball whizzes past, James gets to walk to first base)... evidently, James doesn't realize that yet.
Me: I can't believe it worked.
Zorak: Creepy, huh?
Me: Yeah...

James' team won. That makes it a little more challenging to point out that perhaps James might want to change his strategy... but we'll work on it.

John's team took quite a spanking tonight, but it was a fantastic game. John's team gave it a good shot, and they've improved quite a bit this season. However, the team they played truly had their act together. I can't believe the difference in the level of play, the competence of the players, (the attention spans of the players!) between last year's 5-6 year-olds and this year's teams of 7-8 year-olds. Wow! John's getting the feel of strategy, making a play, and working together. It. Is. So. Fun.

Really, it's all good stuff. This is why we just puckered up a bit, but went through with this Spring's schedule. Both of the older boys are learning new skills, both within their comfort zones and without those zones. They're really able to work and grow on their own merits, in different ways. Good stuff, this. This is why I whine *here* about Thursdays, instead of to the kids.

They both missed Scouts, since James' game didn't end until 7:30, and John's didn't start until 7:00. But I think it was a fine day, in general, and we'll be able to catch up on Scout stuff this week, in time for the Pack meeting next week. So, all-in-all, WOOHOO!

Ok, I've pushed my envelope, and JT has realized I'm not back there. Time to go!
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

J-Lynn said...

My big guy went to Scouts tonight for the first time with DH. And guess what? He leaves tomorrow at 4pm until SUNDAY afternoon camping, 100 miles away from us. I'm torn between being so proud he's growing up and independent and slapping myself for reminding DH to see if they could make this particular meeting. ;-)

The boys sound like they're doing AweSOME in all things sports and music. I *love* James and his rocket scientist strategies, he's such a cool kid.

Jenni said...

That strategy thing is too funny. At least he's trying to think it through logically:o)

Jennie C. said...

Penelope says, "What a handsome baby! Will you please arrange a play date, mama?" She has very good verbal skills, doesn't she?

:-)

Anonymous said...

That was Aidan's strategy for baseball last year. It worked. He got on base often. He's a good base runner. LOL.

Needleroozer said...

What a wonderful photo, and such a funny James. The way their little minds work is a riot.
LB

Sheila said...

My son had the same strategy last year. He walked the first three games and the hit a in the park homerun.
Crazy boy. This year he loves to hit.

I answered deck questions on my blog. I can take pictures if you like.
In short...catilever=very good idea. cap rail=great idea too
leave some taller rail posts if you want to hang birdfeeders or plants.

Amy said...

Smart kid. Very smart kid.

We're doing Weekend Warriors again this weekend. Hope you will join in, as I know you have a project to do!

Becca said...

Please, more gratuitous baby pictures!! I need as many as I can get to encourage me through these last few weeks.

Reading about your big boys makes me so excited for when my small man grows up. So much to look forward to.

Anonymous said...

A very late congrats on your new little one. He is so adorable. Thanks for the sweet note to my daughter's blog, Homeschooling in IL. (momanna) I can imagine the goings on at your place soometimes cuz it is similar here with the kids. Blessings.

melissa said...

SO glad that baseball is going so well for you guys. It really IS good stuff isn't it? We have figured out that the most fun, fast paced ball playing is done at the 11-12 yr old level. AFTER the good coordination skills come into play and BEFORE 1/2 of them settle into hours of video game playing a day. LOL! Keep the baby pics coming!