Tuesday, April 22

From the Bleachers

I do love my second born. Honestly, I do. So why are there so seldom pictures of him here lately? Well, you see, he's seven, and a natural-born comic (or, he fancies that he is). Loosely translated, this means he is incapable of allowing the click of the shutter to pass without widening his eyes, flaring his nostrils, sticking his head waaaaay out in front of his body, and baring his teeth in a Dracula-like stance. He's a handsome young man, but Adonis, himself, wouldn't pass for photogenic with such a pose. And so, I am left to take pictures of him when he isn't looking... those turn out nicely.


... if a bit solemn. Which is ironic, considering my reason for sneaking up behind him to snap photographs in the first place.

And then there is Smidge, who is now Quite Serious, since he is now a Ball Player. So, we must pose. We must contemplate. We must get right up there in Mom's face to make sure she can see just how Very Serious we are...


(Ah, those eyes. I get absolutely lost in those magical, twinkling eyes.)

But don't let his solemnity fool you. It's not all tough practice and serious hardball around here...


The games are fun to watch, and we're proud of the great kids on all the teams, but the action in the bleachers is where the real fun begins most of the time. I think there's more activity there than on the field. So, while one child and his teammates are out there learning to pay attention, work together, and hone new skills on the field, the siblings are busy doing new things in their own realm, too. Sometimes they're learning to be encouraging, or to learn by watching. But there's more to it than that...

Whether it's the pack of two-year-olds who are content to do laps around the trash cans (do you remember the caucus race from Alice in Wonderland -- Backward, forward, outward, inward/ Bottom to the top/ Never a beginning,/ There can never be a stop -- I sing that in my head everytime they get started)...

or the herd of four-year-olds running back and forth, looking for a little more independence, more room to roam, more autonomy without sacrificing the security of being able to pop back in for a hug and a snuggle every now and then...

or the older kids comparing anecdotes and jokes, critiquing the game, heading off to the water fountain or the snack shack on their own...

it's fun to watch them stretch their little metaphorical wings just a little bit more each year, and to see them get aloft and enjoy the flight.

They'll stretch their wings fully one day, and soar off, and not return to stay... that day will come all too soon for us, although just at the right time for them. I hope I don't miss any opportunity to watch these little practice flights, though, in the meantime.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

Rebel said...

What a beautiful post. I love the way you notice things that other people don't.

Anonymous said...

You make it sound so magical. Sometimes it's hard to see that magic when life gets stressful. Thanks for the reminder.
hugs!
dawn

Urban Mom said...

Wonderfully said! Also, love the St. Louis ballcap (i'm an stl native trying to raise cards fans in wrigleyville!).
Again, great post!

Jenni said...

Rebel already said what I was thinking. This is a beautiful post. Where were you when Caleb was little and playing baseball and I was chasing the littles around the bleachers? I could have used someone to show me the beauty in my one and three year olds picking up cigarette butts, sunflower seed shells, and ABC gum. A soothing voice to tell me my five-year-old hanging upside down from the bleachers was all about her spreading her wings. ;o) No, really, I could have used that. I am truly amazed at how calm, cool, and collected you are for a mama of littles. I loved it when my kids were that age, but I think I was much more stressed, too.

andie said...

What a great picture of Smidge! Say, you must have an AWESOME camera!



Heh.

Crissy said...

Spreding the news: I'll be hosting a Mother's Day Photo Contest.

http://soliloquy-ct.blogspot.com/2008/04/mothers-day-photo-contest.html

Details to come.

Dy said...

Urban Mom, I can't believe you could tell that's a St. Louis cap! If it wasn't Smidge's, there's no way I'd have known. LOL! Some of the teams take the names of pro teams, and Smidge is a Cardinal. He *loves* his hat! (Sadly, to my great disgrace, it took me a while to click where "wrigleyville" is. I kept thinking, "Where DO they make that gum?" *sigh* I did, eventually, figure it out, though.)

Jenni, ARGH - the sunflower seeds make me insane. WHY nobody seems capable of spitting them into a cup, I have no idea. I guess it's better than chewing tobacco, though, right? *shudder*

Andie, *snort* You make me laugh. But my camera loves you.

Crissy, what a great idea. I will post that link and pass the word. Can't wait to see what everybody submits!!

Dy