Sunday, April 13

Mexican Food and Pictures

Thursday, we tried a new Mexican restaurant in town. I'm always hesitant to do this, as it's a sure bet the food we find will not be "New Mexican" food. That, we can handle, being 1200 miles from New Mexico and all. Unfortunately, it's often not even actually "Mexican", but rather more El Salvadorian or Guatemalan influenced.

(Not that those are bad, but they aren't Mexican, either, and yet they bill themselves as Mexican. I don't get it. Of course, if I were opening a restaurant, I wouldn't immediately decide that a Mexican-Chinese Buffet is the thing to do, either. Yet there are quite a few of those around the area. They all seem to be doing well, too. So, I'm guessing there are forces at work that are beyond my understanding.)
However, we were hungry and didn't want to eat in the car (the *best* Mexican food in Decatur has only drive-thru service, but it's worth eating in the car if you don't have a herd of tired children with you!) The food at this new place was different. Mostly good. The boys *loved* their enchiladas and tamales. We've never seen tamales served like this before...

The enchiladas looked identical. We could only tell the difference by eating a bite of each first.

Smidge chickened out at the last minute and ordered chicken nuggets. Normally, we don't go that route, but as you can see, he was feelin' the love...

EmBaby missed all the excitement. She woke up in time to get a Peppermint Patty at the register, though, so she wasn't too bummed about the whole thing. (And the nap did wonders for her general outlook!)

But this... this took us off guard... do you know what this is?

This is, at the new restaurant, a "chile relleno". It's in a BOWL, people! It's soupy! It has that white, floaty thing on top of it! This is so. incredibly. wrong. If you aren't familiar with chile rellenos, allow me to walk you through it. "chile", according to Dictionary.com, is -noun 2. very hot and finely tapering pepper of special pungency [syn: chili] and "relleno", –adjective 1. stuffed, esp. filled with cheese: chilis rellenos.

Or, better yet - –noun 2. a chili relleno. (Which, following this thought logically, would be "a tapering pepper stuffed with cheese". Or, something loosely resembling such.) Does anything in that bowl look like what I've just described? Other than that there is, clearly, cheese? No.

I kept waiting for Zorak to try some, and when I finally couldn't take it any longer and asked him when he was going to eat it, he laughed and said he was waiting for me to try it first. We ended up bringing it home. It didn't look any more appealing after the ride. I think he ate it last night, but he hasn't said anything, so I have no idea how it tasted.

And this last one wasn't taken at the restaurant (obviously). But this is how little JT spends most of his late afternoon naps - sprawled across my thighs, out cold, while EmBaby hovers over him, sticking things to his head and my pantlegs. Good stuff, that. Bonding time and all, you know. (Have I mentioned how incredibly patient this child is? One day, he will grow up, move out, and realize that nobody else has people hovering over them, in their faces, all. the. time. I hope he doesn't hold that against us...)


We didn't get any of the piers poured on the balcony, but we've got some snazzy batter boards up, the forms made, and the concrete ready for... next weekend. Zorak's going to be too busy with work this week to get anything done on it, and I'm just not up for trying to pour concrete with the littles tweaking the difficulty factor. I've neither the skill nor the patience for that one. But that's okay. It'll be there when we get to it.
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

Staci Eastin said...

You're not up to pouring concrete yet? Come on, you're already, what, two weeks postpartum?

mere said...

That is NOT a chili relleno. That is an FBI agent posing as a chili relleno. Sacrilage!

You, know if you ever visit, I can personally point you in the direction of many fine establishments where the chili relleno is considered an art form. Not that I actually eat them, (sorry just not a fan of the C.R.), but, you know, I'm in Texas. Everybody knows what they are supposed to look like...and that wasn't it!

J.T. will someday move out and miss having people hovering around him. He'll call you a lot. He's so sweet, I wish I could hold him!

mere

momanna98 said...

I guess I can relate your mexican food fetish with a Chicagoans pizza fetish. All over the country you can find "Chicago style pizza", but, it's not. You can only get good pizza within a certain mile radius of Chicago. After that, I don't know what happens.

Dy said...

LOL, Staci. I wouldn't be up for it even if I were three years post-partum! Some things, I simply haven't the fortitude to pull off...

Mere, LOL @ FBI agent! We were so surprised by this when our waiter set it down that the whole table fell silent and then the boys burst into laughter.

momanna, probably something like that. I think regional specialties are pretty near and dear to those who grew up with them. Zorak was quite surprized when he ordered pizza in Italy, and discovered that it was nothing like pizza in the States. :-) But then, when he was in the UAE, he was loving the roadside stands with lamb and other local foods (many of which were familiar to him, having grown up eating sheep regularly), while some of his co-workers were aghast at what can be done with a "ka-bob". LOL!

Amy said...

I'm just scratching my head about that "chile relleno". Yikes. Smidge may have had the right idea at that particular restaurant, loathe as Iam to let my kids go the chickennugget route.

"It'll be there when we get to it."

We should all be so wise, Dy!

Needleroozer said...

Eeww. That looks positively yucky! I am looking forward to having a real homecooked Chile relleno when I visit.
Loved the photos.
And yes, I am in bed- for now.
LB

Amber said...

Yeah, I don't think I'd be real excited to try that "chili relleno" either. I wonder what on earth they were thinking! And Mexican-Chinese buffets? That is just completely bizarre. I guess that's one good thing about CA, there are enough people from various countries all over the place that you can get at least somewhat decent ethnic food just about where ever you go (well, far north would probably not work out too well, but the rest of the state seems to do ok) Even up here in the mountains we have some pretty decent places - although none of the Mexican places would probably quite do the trick for you. :-)

Melora said...

Well, they could have fooled Us with their Chile Rellano! In my youth I very occasionally visited the Taco Bell, but that is the extent of my Mexican food knowledge. Oh, and we serve tacos at home. How great that your kids are adventurous eaters! (Mine would have been with Smidge and those chicken nuggets.)

Beautiful baby pictures!

Claudia said...

I really hope that wasn't the place a little before Ben's work. Thought I gave you a head's up on that one. The one next to Walmart on S. Memorial isn't that bad though. As someone VERY familiar with Salvadorian/Guatemalan cuisine, I am highly insulted that you would compare it to Alabama's version of "Mexican." ;-)

Dy said...

LOL, Claudia. No, not all of the places. But the bell pepper "rellenos", yeah. And the white cheese thing, yeah. It's just coming from a different place than the Texas/NM/Mexico border. :-) I have to say, though, that your Mother's pico de gallo is to. die. for! YUM!

This place is in Decatur, and other than the bowl o' cheese and floaty things, the food was really good. I meant to get a picture of our chimichangas, but Zorak and I both ate them too quickly. Pictures of lettuce and beans just don't convey the same message, you know?

Melora, the kids are great about eating new things. Their favorite place to eat in town is the Miso House, a sushi place. They also love Thai food, and most of the Eastern foods. They're good about that. Makes it more fun to go eat, that's for sure. :-)

Amber, we actually have a good selection of ethnicities represented here, both in the community and in the food. And I'll admit that the Mexican-Chinese buffet idea isn't half bad. Just not one I would have put together, lol, but we've eaten at a few and it's nice when nobody's in the mood for the same thing.

Dy