Monday, March 24

About Saturday's Game(s)

Well, y'all remember Saturday's game/practice schedule... Boy, did that turn out differently than we'd expected! The boys all managed to get up, dressed, geared-up, and out the door on time.

(I took a few pictures, but couldn't get any that really worked in the lighting. It was bright enough, but just not clicking... and it wasn't until just now that I realized what the problem was with the lighting -- it's back there, on the other side, the *morning side*, of the house. We're never up and outside to take pictures with the sun over there!
The boys, however, didn't care at all. They were stoked! They were even willing to mug for me and play it up a bit. This is their "cool" pose:

(Yeah, I have no idea. I was never a little boy.) Anyway, these photos were taken Saturday morning, around eight. And that was the last I saw of two of them... until SIX O'CLOCK THAT NIGHT! James had not one game, but two. Zorak dropped a very worn-out Smidge and EmBaby Duo around 12:30, after James' games ended. Then he and James went on to watch John play, thinking they'd be back shortly.

Well, John had not one game, not two games, but FOUR games. Back-to-back-to-back-to-back. GAH! Turns out, it was an official tournament, tied over from the games the night before (yet nobody thought to mention this, at any point). If you win, you keep playing. All. Day. Long. I didn't send him with food! I had breakfast burritos planned for when he got back! Thankfully, he'd had a high-protein breakfast, and some blessed soul bought team burgers and drinks after game two.

The poor kid played until a quarter to six that night. That's nine hours of playing ball, folks. He's *tough*. And in the end, his team came in second. He's so proud. That medal was enough to keep him awake for the drive home, and if I'd thought to take a picture that night, it would have looked much like the ones posted above, except perhaps his smile's a little bigger. Zorak and James were slightly burnt from nine hours in the sun, and Zorak was just about dead on his feet.

I was right - I so got the better deal on that one! The littles and I stayed on the couch, watching Johnny Quest, episode 1 (over and over - toddler OCD kicks in at the strangest times), singing spider songs, playing with the dog, and calling Daddy to make sure nobody had been taken to the hospital, abducted to Guatemala, or struck by lightning (in other words, to find out why they were gone so long!)

Yeah, it is a good thing they're cute. ;-)
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Needleroozer said...

You tell 'em I said,"Wow, Dudes, you are so way coooool!" LOL. They look so big and old in those pics!
LB

Amber said...

How cute! Don't they look proud and happy! That's an amazing schedule though - wowza. I'm amazed that they subject kids to that! What a trooper though.

Jennie C. said...

Look at you, blogging so effectively, acting all like you don't have a 36 hour old baby right there. :-)

mere said...

I think they look cool! Yay, for all their efforts and Dad's for hauling them everywhere!

Gah! And my boys are playing with hula hoops.

Oh well, twist and shout!

Um, didn't you just have a baby?! Rest! Rest!

mere

J-Lynn said...

I love that first shot of the boys - WOW!!!

What a LONG day, Johns' a trooper!

Bridget said...

WOW!! As long as we've been involved in baseball I've never seen them make little guys like that play so many games back to to back. He must have been exhausted, not to mention poor Zorak. Way to go on second place, there's nothing like a medal to keep you going.

Jenni said...

Oh my! That beats any meet or tournament I've had to sit through.

And you! You just keep blogging away, doing your home improvement projects, probably studying calculus or whatever it was still, and, oh, pause a moment to have that baby and then keep right on going. "Deidre, would you get that?" (That's of course only reference to the way you keep moving right along. You know that, right?) I feel like such a slacker. Perhaps I'll pretend to keep up by doing some of the touch up paint today. You're my hero:o)

Jules said...

Wow! I can't imagine they would have the boys playing a schedule of games like that! It seems like some form of cruel and unusual punishment. At least from a parent's perspective! :)

And yeah - I have to echo mere's comment. Didn't you just have a baby? Make sure you get your rest and don't overdo it. You're entitled to a few days off you know! ;)