Monday, September 4

We've been busy!

The bathroom door is now painted with two non-dripping coats of mildew resistant paint, in a lovely shade of... well, white. But it is a nice white. And it's shiny and easy to clean, too. It's the little things.

Next week's lesson plans are done. Now to put everything together. I panicked when I realized how many hands-on projects I'd penciled in. What was I thinking? It's going to be a long week, but if we can pull it off, just think how interactive and delightful it will be for the children! I can always brew the coffee double strength and jack up the creamer level.

The second closet in the nursery has shelves. They look nice, so clean and level. By tomorrow, hopefully, they'll be buried beneath all the cr-- er, supplies, we have in the school room.

And, judging by the look on James' face when I mentioned today that soon this house will look like a normal house, like his friends' homes do, it is clear to me that he still does not believe us, but has chosen silence as his particular mode of survival. Well, the voice may be quiet, but those eyebrows can say a lot! It'll be so nice when we can give that child a normal life. He really deserves it. He's been a trooper.

Promotion Sunday went well - John loves being in the 1st & 2nd grade class. He's feeling pretty big, now. James is happily snugged in among his favorite girls in the 3rd & 4th grade class, and they're assigning daily reading and study for the kids, which has him tickled three shades of pink.

Smidge didn't change classes for the fall. He'll remain as one of the "older kids", and that suited him just fine. He took off into his class without a second glance at us. It's his class now, and his room, and his teacher. And I'm glad. It was worth it to wait until they each were ready to go. We aren't big on saying, "This is how you raise children." There's a huge swath of acceptable options, and it's nobody's job to raise your children but you (or our children, us). But I have no trouble saying, without hesitation, "This is something we're glad we've done." There were no tears, no "adjustment periods". We feel that little guys shouldn't have to "adjust" to us not being there if they just honestly don't have to, and things like Sunday School or nursery are among the non-necessities. They aren't Have To's. The little ones will go when they're ready, and if they know we're there, it's easier for them to get ready.

I'm glad we've not buckled under the pressures, subtle and not-so-much-so, to let the children cry it out in the nursery. It wouldn't have been worth it, and it wouldn't have brought any of them closer to this point any more quickly. The path would have been strewn with tears, instead of warm memories. So, one more round of the, "yes I know you have a nursery, but I'll keep her with me" litany, and then we're done.

The day will come, all too soon, when Miss Emily bolts for the classroom door and flings her arms around Mrs. B in a joyful, gee-I've-missed-you embrace. It will be wonderful, when the time comes. But I'm in no hurry, for then my arms and my lap will be empty. There will be no more little heads to nestle my nose into while I listen to the study. There will be no spontaneous hugs, or quiet, conspiratorial nose rubs. No secreted and shared mints, no wild toddler doodles on my study notes at the end of my Sunday mornings. It will be quiet, and still. Very still. Which is good, in its own way, but why rush it? It will come soon enough, no?

Kiss those babies. They just don't stay babies for long.
~Dy

5 comments:

Meliss said...

With my new baby, I'm now back into the mode of occasionally getting up and standing at the back of the sanctuary. I'm glad that in our congregation, no one gives me a second glance. When on vacation, I've been in churches where our kids were the only ones in the pews or I felt very odd standing at the back with the baby.

I remember when I was one of the kids, sitting in a prayer meeting, listening to an interminable prayer, and rooting for my baby sister to escape her blanket on the floor for my entertainment. :)

Dy said...

Melkhi, that's so funny about the baby sister. I'm pretty sure the boys feel the same way.

If you're ever traveling to Las Cruces, NM, I can recommend a church where the pastor will actually stop his sermon to shout, "Don't leave! Bring that baby here!" and continue his sermon with a baby on his hip. We were there for months before we ever figured out which children went with which adults b/c if a Mom needed a little help, she got it, and there were children everywhere. :-)

Dy

J-Lynn said...

Oh you're going to make me cry about the whole empty pew thing. LOL That sounds worse than empty nest. ANd what will DH do when there's not a baby to distract them if the sermon is boring? haha j/k of course...kind of.

Hugs, you're a great mommy!

Anonymous said...

The first couple of years with my first son I listened to others 'this is what to do' and 'he'll adjust' mentality. I soon learnt that I didn't need to compare how I was as a mother to others - It was too emotional and many happy moments of parenting were lost. Thankfully for the last few years and 1 boy later -I've got it sussed. Spend as much time as possible being the mum my boys need me to be and make no apologies. Like you say they don't stay babies for long :)

Lovely photos of Florida.

Emily said...

YES! THANK YOU!!

Walker still sits with us in church. Some of the old ladies constantly "remind" me that there is a class for his age. Not b/c he is bad or disruptive (he's usually asleep by the time the service is over) but that's just "how it is supposed to be". They are sweet, they mean well. They act as though they are suggesting it for my sake. I just smile and say I'd rather have a happy kid in here with me than a screaming kid without me in there (that's the only thing I've found that shut them up ;) ).