Saturday, September 9

Keep Them Guessing

Tonight, we held the kickoff supper for the women's ministries. It was a nice evening in which four women spoke on seasons of life. That's a language we use often in homeschooling and general childrearing circles, and it's a beautiful way to describe the phases of chaos in which one lives. They divided the speakers into four seasons - for brevity as well as not having to make up new seasons, since we only decorations for the basic four, into "Youth", "Young Mother", "Empty Nester", and my personal favorite, "Perfectly Seasoned".

One way to capture your audience immediately is to begin your speech with, "Although I love my husband, and he is a wonderful man...*" Yup, that'll quiet a room pretty quickly. I did mean to say that, but I hadn't thought out the effect such an opening would have on those assembled until I looked up to see the Deer-In-The-Headlights reflections on three dozen stunned faces. Well, now the cat's out of the bag, I guess. We'll see on Sunday how well my words were received, eh?

I think two of the other women who spoke did so quite eloquently, expressing not only the challenges they face in their particular seasons, but how we (those of us in other seasons of life) can best support and encourage them. That was good. When you are a mother of small children, your field of vision is restricted to the five feet and under area, and anything that moves erratically. We don't mean to be anti-supportive or lack encouragement for others. Really, we don't. It's just that if we take our eyes off the target for a few moments, said target will sense an opening and get into something potentially dangerous, messy, or embarrassing. It was nice to hear, specifically, what will help others.

My little targets had a great day. Our Revised Attitude Toward Working Together went well today. We accomplished much. We were late for everything (we're only working on the attitudes, not the actual execution). We had a fantastic time. When I announced that we had, in fact, left the house without any yelling, we all erupted in a big Hurrah!

I've been good about doing my Latin (three days in a row now, woohoo). The math, not so much, but that's okay. Pretty soon the boys will be caught up and we can all hire a tutor for a group rate. The boys asked to do their lessons "the new way", so we did. We did not get a cake baked or a birthday present purchased, but that's okay. Smidge did tell us something funny today, at breakfast, though.

"OK, guys. I have a plan." It was so clear that all three of us turned to look at him. Yeah, what's your plan? "Tomorrow, *pause* when it's my birthday, *another pause* I'll turn three."

That's it. That's the plan. I like the way he thinks. So, that's the plan for tomorrow.

Zorak is home, now. He came bearing green chiles. Twenty-five pounds of green chiles. I think I'll forgive him for calling me from various restaurants in Las Cruces to tell me what he ordered and how good it was. For the next month, we will be adorning everything with green chile: eggs, sausage, steaks, stew, corn flakes, you name it.

(*) The end of that precarious opening line is, "I don't deserve him. But I have been given this marriage and this home and this family, and that's quite humbling. That is Grace in action, and that is my testimony." (Didn't want to leave anybody worried, you know.)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

10 comments:

Needleroozer said...

Oh Mr. Smidge has me just in stitches! I can't wait to call him tomorrow to sing to him. I won't understand a thing he says back, but that's okay, it will be fun anyway.
Mmm. Chilies!!! None of mine grew very well. Eat some for me!
Gotta get into bed now- it is late and I want to have energy for the wake we are going to tomorrow.
Hugs and smooches,
LB

Jules said...

Oh My! That Smidge sounds like he is quite the kid! I like his plan too. Something that requires very little effort and yet comes with such a great reward. if only all of our plans could work out that way, huh?
Enjoy the day and tell the little guy Happy Birthday.

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy, happy (Three happys...clever, eh?)birthday to you, Smidge! An excellent plan.

Anonymous said...

Isn't it amazing how all of a sudden they're speaking in complete, clear sentences? Monkey Boy's latest, when asked to do something he doesn't want to do is, "I'm sorry, I cannit." Spoken calmly and quietly. At which point the parental unit involved will re-state that yes, he certainly can -- and WILL!

Laney said...

I love those little refreshers, too.

ROFL about the math, we have the same problem here. The other day i asked Jeremy what 9+9 was and he said...9? After I got done slamming my head into the wall, we did it again. :-)

Laney
p.s. I knew what you were going to say, I wasn't worried.

Bob and Claire said...

LOL, I would have loved to listen to your talk! It sounds great! I also like to hear what women in other stages say. I have a hard time thinking about ANY other stage right now, even ones I have been in before, so it's always good to poke my head up out of the bunker and hear how I can focus outwards to encourage others (and by doing, be encouraged myself!). So what sorts of things are you all planning for your women's ministry?

mere said...

Happy b-day to Smidge! It's good to be three.

mere

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Happy Birthday, Smidge!

I have a plan for my next birthday. I'm going to turn 29. :D Yes, I'm 35 now. What's that got to do with anything?

Melora said...

Happy Birthday, Smidge!!! Now that is my kind of a plan -- simple and uncomplicated.

Emily said...

Oh how I wish you guys still lived close! Smidge and Walker would have SOOO much fun together.

Happy birthday, Smidge!