Tuesday, September 5

Stuff

Learning never stops, does it? On my fourth child now, and I still forget things and learn new things. When we were at Dinosaur Adventure Land, they did some electricity demonstrations for the kids. The tour guide was great and kept the whole thing very hands on. Miss Emily sat happily, or at least patiently, in her sling, and I was completely tuned into the boys and their adventure. The guide turned off the lights, advised us to keep our eyes on the overhead fluorescents, turned on the Tesla coil, and
"HOLY MOTHER OF-- WHAT THE HELL IS THAT? WE'RE GOING TO DIE! If I could walk, I'd run! Why aren't YOU running woman? Go!Go!Go! I'm going to die! HELLLLLPPPPP! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!"


Ohhh, yeah. I didn't stop to think what a shock that display would be to someone who, (a) couldn't understand a word that was said, (b) had no idea what was going on, when suddenly there's a leaping blue flame setting the ceiling aglow in the dark, joined by a loud crackling, surging, faintly terrifying sound... and the mass intake of breath from all the little observers. Right. Freaking. There. In front of me. Once it was turned off, she quit screaming instantly, but she was pretty torqued for about an hour after that. So, I was quite appreciative when the guide took the boys so they could enjoy the rest of the demonstration while Miss Emily and I watched from the relative safety of the outdoors.

Today was a great day, as mail goes. The boys new Copybooks and my Henle arrived. Part of the boys' Latin for Children arrived. I've been eyeballing the Henle all day, and wondering if I could bribe Steph Not in Texas to hold my hand for just a few more steps. It only took me two years to order it - so I figure I should get through lesson 1 in three or four months, right?

I find it ironic that I am now, in my mid-ish 30's, taking up Latin. It was offered at one of my high schools, but we were required to take a foreign language in 9th grade, which was still at the jr. high - and Latin was not offered at the jr. high. Graduation requirements stated that the two years of foreign language had to be two years in the same language, and we had to take a foreign language our Freshman year. Sooo... guess who refused to take Latin? Because that extra year of high school Spanish has served me so well, right? This is why we are not living on our own at the ripe old age of 14. We're idiots, and what's worse, we're myopic idiots. I'm not saying I'd have taken Latin if someone had explained the virtue and importance of pursuing Latin studies. But it'd be nice to know. More importantly, it's important to have our eyes on the years after that seemingly all-important ceremony. Learning doesn't end there. God willing, learning won't end at all, as long as we've breath to take. But it's the rare child who gets that at 14. I learned more Spanish working in various industries over the years after I graduated than I did in those two long years in high school. I've learned more math along the way, as well as slowly and painfully working on that slightly myopic view of the future. I'm also learning to be a better mother with every day. Thankfully.

Off to figure out which end is up!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

G. said...

Great points. My senior (now 17), who at the age of 14 tried to take every Advanced Placement class that was offered to him, now realizes that learning is not so much about trying to push yourself to prove a point, but to enjoy it in the process. He is still taking those AP classes, but he also realizes that if you don't particularly like Physics or Biology, you should take Psych/Sociology, which you do like, instead. The school counselors do a pretty good job of guiding the students to take the classes that they will need for college, but I think a little bit of leeway is a good thing. There is nothing worse than a student who is just working to get to the next level, then the next level, etc, ad nauseum.

I would have taken Latin if it had been offered at my high school. I sure didn't want to be like everyone else and take Spanish or French, so I chose two years of German. I was all ready to start my second year of German when I realized that that particular class was only offered at the same time at Madrigals (gasp!). Guess which one I chose? I do regret not learning more German, but I would not have wanted to miss out on being a part of the Madrigals group. Thank goodness my child has more sense than I did!

Stephanie not in TX said...

You can only bribe me through Unit 7. After that, I cry uncle.

Seriously, though, if I can help, let me know. I'm on AIM way more than is good for me (as JustLynx), and if you want I might even give you my super-secret phone number.

Poor Emily, lol. I forgot things like that with the 3rd and 4th kids too.

Jules said...

Oh dear! Poor Emily! I will confess I did have a chuckle at the way you put into words exactly what she must have been thinking. But it was a sympathetic chuckle! ;)

I loved the pictures of your vacation. It looks like a ton of fun.
And I have to say that I also got a kick out of your clown story. Don't you wonder sometimes where these people come from?

Enjoy your Latin Studies! I am glad it's you and not me! ;)

Becca said...

Isn't it funny the things that will scare the littles half to death? We have one of those Roomba robot vacuums, and my baby is TERRIFIED of it. Even hearing the beeping of it turning on is enough to send him into a hysterical fit. So we don't use that one too much!

Anonymous said...

LOL! Poor Emily. Madeline had a similar experience in an automatic car wash when she was about 9 months old. Poor kid.