Wednesday, September 27

A Little Meat On Your Bones

As a self-conscious teenager, I didn't think that phrase was such a dandy. Tonight, however, it saved the day!

The day started out well enough: we ate a wonderful breakfast, did our Latin on the swings, did our reading and Bible over Legos, and managed to get a few chores accomplished. Then, a little before lunchtime, I felt the vague, twinging pain of a migraine slithering up the back of my head. It was tempting to slide right into full denial mode, but then I did the math and realized I'd be incapacitated, on the bathroom floor, a full two hours before Zorak got home. OK, fine. I'll be a grown up about this and come up with a game plan.

I sucked down a few Aleve, informed the boys that Mommy was going to feed them and then go hide for a bit, and we're watching movies this afternoon (hurray! -- ow, whisper "hurray", okay?) I threw on some ramen, broke out the cheese sticks and sliced up some apples. Then moved the peanut butter down to the counter and loosened the lid, just in case they decided they were still hungry long after I ceased being capable of caring. That's when Zorak called to say he missed lunch today and could I please have something ready fairly early this evening? That is, normally, a completely reasonable request. Today, it made me want to cry. Then he said, "Just thaw some of those pork ribs and I'll grill 'em when I get home." OH. OK, thawing is a quiet activity. I can do that.

I had to lay down, though, before my head exploded, so I put off the thawing of the meat. Eventually, I was not quite recovered, but had the near-certainty that I'd somehow managed to, if not head it off completely, at least keep it at bay, so I got up and began poking around in the kitchen. My thought was that I could partially defrost the ribs in the microwave, throw some veggies together, do a quick and easy tidy on the kitchen, and still have supper ready fairly early.

But there weren't any pork ribs. I know. I looked. In the freezer. In the fridge. In the Suburban (just in case there'd been some horrible miscommunication - we've seen worse). No ribs. No meat, other than bacon and Italian sausages. I don't care for Italian sausages on my best days. Leaning over into the freezer, causing my brains to bulge from my eyes didn't make it sound any more appealing. The boys helped me empty the freezer, graciously ignoring my quiet, frantic whispering, "He said there were ribs in here. I can't see them. He said they were there. Where'd they go?" We emptied the entire thing and all we found was two used glo-sticks, half an otter pop (I don't want to know), a bag of berries I'd forgotten we have, and one small package labled, "Pork for Stew". Huh. Well, it's not Italian sausage, let's see what we can do with it. I opened the package to find... a soup bone. Pork for split pea soup, perhaps navy bean soup, but not stew. (Note to self: don't let whoever labled these things anywhere near the wrapping process ever again, although I suspect I may have been the culprit...)

Well, whaddya know, our oddities paid off: there was enough meat on the bone to make a meal for five! A few chopped potatoes, sliced onions, carrots, celery and a Tbsp. of bullion - brown the meat and onions, throw it all together into a roasting pan, cover and cook for a whopping 15 minutes at 300' (the bite-sized potato chunks make this possible - gotta love that). Ta-da! A delicious, quiet, fast, nutritious meal that saved the day by giving me time to lay down and still get supper going on time.

Too bad Part II: The Leftovers won't work out. There aren't any. It was a surprise hit with all the kids, as well as with Zorak. Sweet!

The moral of the story: It's good to keep a little meat on your bones!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Due to someone who won't be mentioned in my household (um...that would be me unfortunately) who tends to spend too much money at the grocery store, I can totally appreciate this entry. Lately I've found that I have enough food in my frig and freezer to last us a good week or two without going to the store. And I have had a headache every day for the last two weeks (and I have NO idea why), so finding some treasure I either labeled or didn't and calling it dinner by opening a can of green beans and heating it up to serve with said frozen main entree has been a huge hit here too. (oh dear i think that sentence was too long) Hope your migraine goes away fast!

-dawn

ang said...

I have very bad migrains. I havent had one since 2000. It starts with a spot in my vision that I cant see anything but a spot then the sledge hammer begins. I cant move or function. It says if you lose vision to go to the emergency room..but by then I cant do anything. So I can relate hope you are feeling better today.My mom is like that there can be a few ingredients in the house and she makes something wonderful.

Melora said...

Sorry you had such a rough day! I enjoyed getting a context in which a little meat on the bones (a phrase Ed uses about me, since I was skinny when we met and am no longer) was a good thing. I think you deserve a medal for not telling Zorak, when he called, that he needed to bring home something "take-out."

Meliss said...

Resourceful! And with a migraine!
On days like you just described, I really wish I had a substitute and could call in sick.