Friday, September 15

Early Morning Ramblings

I should be in bed. But what's a little sleep deprivation, anyway? I've had four children in seven years; just when I get to sleep like a normal person, I'm pregnant again and it starts all over. (No, I'm not pregnant - somebody is, though!)

So, today I had to go to court. They showed no mercy, but they'll let me make payments. Gah, how embarrassing. Our tags expired, and our renewal notice didn't make it under the forwarded mail umbrella, so we had no clue until the nice, albeit somewhat enthusiastic, Hartselle policeman pulled me over one night to let me know. *sigh* Too many irons, not enough fires. Oh well, all is up to date and I'm no longer on the lam. Yay.

We do have too many irons in the fire, even now. I'm so glad for fall and winter. Those are my happy seasons, where I naturally turn toward our home and kitchen. Things slow down again. Not that they've been busy over the summer, but I'm in a better frame of mind when my upper arms don't stick to my sides. Better able to lead the life we want to live, to set the pace we prefer to walk. It's good stuff. Plus, the boys get up with the sun, so winter will buy me a few minutes of quiet solitude in the mornings. That's always handy.

I got to meet one of our neighbors from up the road today. The Suburban died on me when I stopped at the market after my appt., so I wandered back into the store to see if anyone could give me a jump. I love living in a town where the cashier can eyeball the store, shout, "Mr. E----!" and you hear, "Yes, ma'am?" come from somewhere beyond the bread. "Meere," she shouted, and from the end of the aisle came a very sweet gentleman who agreed to help me out. Turned out it wasn't the battery, which did take a charge, but the thing still wouldn't start, so he offered to give me a ride home. As we neared the drive, he said, "Ohhhh, you bought the Cook's old place!" Yep. He filled me in on the family histories and those neat little bits you don't usually get to know about your home from before it was yours. Then we pulled up the drive and he said, a bit wistfully, "Oh, this place used to be so pretty. Miss Cook sure did keep it looking nice." Um... yeah. *hanging head in shame* Landscaping hasn't exactly been at the top of our list, just yet. We'll have to invite him and his wife over... after we've bought a tractor.

Ohhhh, we tried a new recipe this week. "Instant Sizzling Rice", served in miso soup. Sounds delicious, doesn't it? Yeah, titles can be deceiving. It was a total flop. We tried scooping the rice out of the soup, since we love miso soup, but it had infused the soup with a nasty smell, so we had to scrap it all and just eat crackers and cheese for lunch. We couldn't even stand to leave the trash can in the kitchen when we dumped it out. Blech.

But today, we made up for it. For breakfast, we made one of those beautiful Better Living-style meals: homemade cherry muffins (sprinkled with red sugar crystals, even!), served in a lovely woven basket; scrambled eggs with green chile and cheese; bacon; yogurt with granola; and your choice of coffee (duh), almond milk, or peach juice to drink. Doesn't that just scream "Bed and Breakfast"? It felt wonderful, and we spent a good hour literally luxuriating over our meal. I need to work on my timing a bit (the eggs had to wait in the oven while the first batch of bacon burnt and the second batch fried up), but that may become a standard Company Breakfast. It's easy, offers a little something for everyone, and looks WAY more elegant than the effort required to prepare it.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

G. said...

That breakfast sounds heavenly!!
I am looking forward to Fall, but not Winter. I imagine Winters where you live are a lot less harsh than Winters here, which I would really like.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Mmm... breakfast sounds great. If I lived close to you, I'd show up every morning. :)

The one (and really, only) thing I like about living here is the weather. I *like* having four distinct seasons. I like spring, but I think I like fall better because it means winter is coming. I even like the snow since they keep the roads clear.

Anonymous said...

When we set our clocks back this fall, it means the daylight arrives an hour earlier, right? And then it gets darker earlier-so most likely you won't get that spare time in the morning. Maybe you can adjust their bedtime schedules.

Dy said...

Yes, their bedtimes adjust naturally, since they're more active during the afternoons. It works nicely, although I forgot about DST. We lived in AZ so long that it's taking some getting used to. :-)

Gretchen, the winters here are extremely mild, as far as snow goes. It gets a bit cold - similar to how it was in SOMD, actually.

KathyJo, if you lived here, you'd be welcome every morning!

Dy

Anonymous said...

I'm using blogger beta so I can't comment with my user name but I did want to tell you there's a way to solve your bacon problem. You can cook bacon in the oven. I learned this trick when I was cooking breakfast for 120 boys on a teen retreat a few years ago. Here's a link to how to do it.

http://blackdog4kids.com/holiday/mom/breakfast/bacon.html

Love reading about your days. Keep on Blogging!

Terri aka teribear68

Bob and Claire said...

LOL, I am sure that I have a recipe for "sizzling rice soup" in a recipe file somewhere that I cut out because it sounded good. We nver tried it, though, and now i'm not likely to!

As far as the nice gentleman in the grocery who wasn't impressed with your landscaping, you should have detailed all your mold removal, ala your post on the WTM board--that should have impressed him! LOL! : )