Wednesday, September 20

Someday, the real grown ups will appear,

and take over the running of this home. When that happens, things will be very different around here: laundry will seldom have to be run twice through the washer; meals will begin to appear earlier in the evening rather than later; the lawnmower will be used frequently enough that one will not need the machete to get to it through the grass... where it was left the last time the grass was "mowed".

When Zorak is asked to fill in for lessons, all pertinent materials will be displayed obviously and accompanied by graphic, borderline compulsively detailed notes as to the process.

But most importantly, all birthdays preparations will be completed at least a week in advance.

Who knew the Juice Clock is a seasonal item? Seriously, clocks are a summer thing? Or, at least clocks that "will run on virtually any liquid". *sigh* And that is the only gift he asked for. He really needs more organized parents.

Tomorrow, we'll have a busy day, though, and I hope to make it a good one. We'll start with a birthday breakfast. After much prompting, he decided the menu should be: soft boiled eggs, toast with Granny's Cactus Jelly, bacon, and apple juice. Easy enough, although we will offer fried and scrambled eggs, as well. The other two would mutiny in a heartbeat if we tried to foist soft boiled eggs on them.

Then we'll shuffle off to the store for a bag of wheat-free cake mix and come back home to make and decorate a bajillion cupcakes. Transport cakes into town and store in hot car while we pick up bicycle. Yes, I know, logistics aren't my strong suit. To avoid the more obvious olfactory issues of this plan, we're making our own icing rather than buying the cheap beef fat icing. (The cheap beef fat icing was in order to avoid the more fiscally taxing aspect of the Very Expensive Icing plan. It's our plan-within-a-plan, um, plan.)

ANYway, lunch with Dad, new bike, supper at church, cupcakes with Pioneer Club and we are SO off the hook as far as this goes, as his actual "party" is Saturday, which buys me an additional 72 hours to make the Superman cake. We were going to go with the Big "S" emblem for the cake. It's easy, angular, and blue. We can do all three of those. Then tonight he said he'd really like the "whole body Superman"... I'm still trying to figure out how to make our basic Bob and Larry cake look like Superman. And fighting the urge to bribe him with another puppy. (It's okay, I know that's the desperation talking. Things will go more smoothly in the morning.)

Zorak has finished the new printer shelf, so maybe I can get it decoupaged tomorrow (*snort* *guffaw*) and then we can set everything up in a less hodge-podge fashion so we'll have our photo uploading capabilities back again. I'll post more photos when I can.

As always, kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

LOL! You crack me up. And we are definitely "those parents," too. Ugh, I hate laundry, and I hate doing it twice.

Happy birthday, James! :) Hope y'all have a great day.

G. said...

James shares a birthday with my Sean. :)

The only thing my boy asked for this year is going to cost me $120! :eek It's a "silent brass" system to use with his euphonium. What would most 17 year olds ask for? A new video game? Money? The latest pop/rock/hip hop CD? Not my child. Not yours, either! ;)

I hope James has a wonderful birthday!

Oh, and you know there is a song that mentions the 21st of September? It's "September" by Earth, Wind and Fire - one of Sean's favorites.

Anonymous said...

Oh, happy, happy birthday!

I'm so glad I'm not the only mommy waiting for the Real Parents to show up and take charge. I'm off to re-wash a load of laundry now, then we have a search for the car-insurance-bill-isn't-it-due-like-um-NOW? scheduled before math.

My poor babies!

Ernest said...

You always talk about how disorganized you are, Dy, but you do more stuff in a day than we do in a month. It's enough for us to get through our day with everyone being educated, fed, poop-free, and tossed outside for awhile to play in the sunshine.

Dy said...

Ernie, it's not the big things that kill us - renovating, engine rebuilding, homebirthing - those, we can take. It's the little things - those pesky recurring bills (car insurance and dental bills) and annual events (you know, birthdays, Advent, anniverasries). The little things, routine, normalcy - just kicks our collective rear end. If life were one big chaotic crisis maintenance program, we'd probably coast right through without skipping a beat. Sad, really...

Andie, we, um, had a similar thing last week. I solved the problem by just paying the car insurance when we stopped in to visit w/ the insurance guy for a review. Thankfully, his secretary called that morning to remind us of the meeting, or we'd have missed it, too. Hope you found the paperwork!

G, HAPPY BIRTHDAY SEAN! I hope it's a wonderful, wonderful day!

Dy

Heidi said...

I found this on the Internet, if you want a kit.

I know I just saw... wait...
How about from ThinkGeek?