Monday, July 31

Which is more challenging?

Keeping the small ones within arm's reach and quiet during church, or keeping Zorak from darting off on tangents unrelated while the kids and I are gone.

He did get a lot done this weekend. The master bath (The Bathroom at the Asylum, from the pictures) now has a dandy new sill plate, a reinforced joist or two, brand spankin' new boards spanning the joists, and a new subfloor. Oh, and a new, mold-resistant ceiling. It's nice not to have the Den of the Crypt Keeper lurking behind the bathroom door anymore.

I got the children's rooms somewhat resituated. The boys' room looks great. The nursery, well, we need to build another toy shelf for the nursery, and get some tubs for it. That'll help tremendously. Probably wouldn't hurt to move the computer out of there, too. Nothing says, "I care" quite like giving your toddler unrestricted access to the internet, eh?

Speaking of the toddler, he has discovered that he can say, "No" and mean it. That would work out nicely if he were being propositioned by drug dealing three-year olds. However, it seems that when one experiences a dearth of soul-maligning peers, any near parent will do quite nicely. This is when I remind myself that I have almost two decades with them... so, um, pace yourself, Dy.

We've been dealing tag-team with the moods of the older ones. They enjoyed their day of touching base with Daddy on Friday, but it wasn't quite enough for them to make it through a day of working on the house come Saturday. All three of them needed some extra lovin's. I tried Heidi's approach of swinging the children around to help defray the bad moods. They catch on quickly; all three promptly misbehaved, in the hope of getting a swing around the living room. Had to smack a couple of them into the furniture before they decided perhaps it's best to just go with ice cream and a story. (That wasn't on purpose -- they're heavy and I'm uncoordinated.) The positive attention does work wonders, and I thank you, Heidi, for your gentle and uplifting reminder. The kids thank you, too. Or, they will once their shins heal up.

We're all loving The Little House in the Big Woods. The boys love the adventure of it all, and I love that I don't feel I must stop every time a gun is mentioned to give them the, "this person has an agenda, has never fired a firearm, couldn't tell a .357 from a shotgun, and has no idea what she's talking about" speech. They're hoping to find a hollow tree to build a smoke house. Should make for a fun autumn!

This morning we are total slackers. It's after nine, and the older two just got up. Those were two tired little boys! (The Small One and Miss Emily were up this morning a little before four, and stayed up until nearly six. Come five-thirty or so, the idea of a live-in nanny sounded far more sensible than I would have believed!) And so, we're off for another day of learning and working, growing together, and enjoying this life we've been given.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed reading the Laura Ingalls Wilder books when I was young. I've read through the whole series with Emma (which she enjoyed tremendously) and now we're occasionally going back through picking up a book here and there to re-read it.

I've still got the copies of Little House in the Big Woods, Farmer Boy and The Long Winter from when I was young.

-Matt

Melora said...

That bathroom sounds like a major project -- I'm really looking forward to before and after pictures (the before and afters for the other bathroom were amazing!).
We missed two weeks of church, and really missed it! Even the part about keeping my kiddos quiet (although I only have two). The idea of getting used to a new church, where the whole congregation hasn't known my little squirmers since birth and mostly extend them a grandparently toleration, is one of my new home worries!
I'd forgotten the Little House books! I think my kids might really enjoy them too.
I noticed on the WTM board that the multi-identitied troll who caused such an uproar on the board a while back was apparently from Winder, Georgia -- the same town my friend Diane sent us house hunting. Small world, eh?

Heidi said...

You are quite welcome.

In some situations they catch on so quickly to cause and effect and in others...

Gonzo: She kicked me!
Me: And what happed just before she kicked you?
Gonzo: I was calling her stupid.
Me: And...
Gonzo: She kicked me for no good reason!
Me: Sigh.

But I keep kissing them.

Maybe they need to twirl you around and turn you day around every now and then.

J-Lynn said...

OK, I so needed to laugh out loud and did so twice reading this entry. Love the internet/toddler comment and smacking them into the furniture? Oh my what a visual! "But DR I really *WAS* trying to do POSITIVE reinforcement". DR: "Sure you were, I'd hate to see the negative". HAHA

Oh, I love you! I'll give you a call later on when the kids are down - promise. We're watching "10 deadliest sharks" right now. ;-)

HUGS

Bridget said...

I loved the Laura Ingalls Wilder series when I was a kid, I will have to drag my copies of the books out for my 8 year old Blake. He loves to read, I keep ebay in business with books. I love to read your blog, you make me laugh and sometimes it is at a time I really need it. Thanks!
Bridget