Friday, July 28

A Day of Nothing

What a delightful day we had! We'd planned to paint the bathroom door, sister the joists under the master bath, repair the sill plate in the master bath, and do a lot of trimwork. Instead, we packed up and went to play with friends! Can't beat that for a segue, eh?

The boys swam and played. Zorak came with us in a last minute twist that just made the boys' day. He took them out in a canoe and taught them how to work the oar. He went with each of them on a paddle boat. Each of the boys had some time with Dad, one-on-one, in which, for a time, each boy was the center of Zorak's attention. They soaked it up like only children do, and it was glorious to watch. I do mean glorious, too - better than sunset over the ocean, better than a snow storm as seen from inside a fully stocked cabin, and better, even, than a steak dinner after dragging your tired butt up out of the Grand Canyon after two harrowing weeks of hiking with total strangers. Truly beautiful.

And then, because children just don't have any sense at all, the boys picked Bubble Gum flavored ice cream at the market. This is why they cannot live on their own yet. Children have parents to guide them and help them make good choices. Sometimes, though, parents get to say, "Yeah, go for it. Just grab me some of the french vanilla while you're over there, okay?" And that's good, too.

After supper, I slipped out onto the porch and called Melissa. She was home! She was awake! Yay! I love talking to Melissa. Her children bolster my hope in the future. Her stories make me smile. And her appreciation of the absurd helps me feel normal. Or, at least she'll join me in laughing so hard at the things I find humorous. The only drawback to having Melissa as a friend is that she's so darned busy, we don't get to visit often enough. But when we do, we talk until one (or both) of our phones dies, and it's more than worth the lag time between visits. She's always a source of encouragement and wisdom. THANK YOU, Melissa!

And now, it's quiet. It's late. And I've got a door waiting for me in the morning. I'm going to go kiss my babies and get some zzzz's.

Dy, The Recalibrated One

4 comments:

Bob and Claire said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! I know exactly what you mean about boys loving that individual time with their dad. It's so special to watch. I think we need some more of that around here! It makes such a big differnce in attitudes.

Anonymous said...

My favorite ice cream flavor at Cold Stone Creamery is bubblegum. With marshmallows as the mix in. It's wonderful. Really.

Emily said...

I have a vivid memory of my first taste of Bubble Gum ice cream from Baskin Robbins. I did not finish it and threw up when I got home. AWFUL!
But in the eyes of a child it is like 2 treats in one! Ice cream AND bubble gum! What could be better!

Dy said...

That's just it - it's good to say "yes" sometimes. Probably more than we tend to, kwim?

Dy