Friday, July 14

Um, hi!

It's almost noon, and I've not had nearly enough coffee just yet, so this may be a bit disjointed.

Zorak and his brother spent the night on the boat the other night. They moored halfway between the bank and the channel (thus avoiding the unpleasant event of being awoken by a barge slamming into the boat at five in the morning, yet still getting far enough off the bank to avoid a good portion of the 'skeeters.) The next morning's run was hectic, but everybody loaded onto the boat with muffins and jams and strawberry cider for breakfast while Zorak drove me into town to the dentist.

Ow. I completely underestimated a tooth removal. Somehow, I'd had it in my head that it was similar to a root canal. Funny, funny Dy. Um, no. But all went well and I've got to go see another torture professional next week for the replacement parts. The swelling should go down someday, and thanks to Miss Emily's diet, the narcotics offered to me weren't an option. Tempting, but still not an option. We went back to the ramp and met the boat around noon. I laid down and slept peacefully to the rythmic thump and thud of small children leaping from port to starboard. Once in a while, I had to scootch about a bit to get my head back out of the sun, but that's not bad. Life on a houseboat sounds rather appealing...

Mid-afternoon, we pulled into a neat little cove, where everyone swam and explored. Zorak cooked up a pile of various things on sticks, and everybody ate their fill. By five o'clock, the palest folks had tested the outer limits of the 40SPF sunscreen, the smallest folks had run off their energy reserves, and the older folks, well, we were just plain pooped. So we docked the boat and came home for showers and... and I don't know what everyone else did, but Miss Emily and I passed out around six-thirty.

Since we pretty well fried the girls yesterday, and would like to avoid their mother's wrath as much as possible, we decided they'd best not to go swimming today. So, everybody's going to see the latest Jack Sparrow flick this afternoon. I wanna go, too, but somebody needs to stay with the wee ones. Smidge, Miss Emily and I are going to go visiting with friends and relax a bit in the relative quiet.

Should be good stuff.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Laura said...

Goodness! Sounds like something out of Arthur Ransome's Swallows & Amazons series! Have you read those books to your boys?

Sorry about the tooth extraction. I had three wisdom teeth cut out when I was nursing a 10-month-old baby and could only take Tylenol for the pain. It was, well, inadequate. But the good news is that I felt better by the third day post-surgery! Take it easy - I'll be praying you feel better quickly.

Melora said...

I'd have thought it would be similar to a root canal too. Ouch.

I hope you enjoy some nice healing peace and quiet before the revved up swashbucklers come home!

Anonymous said...

Did I miss when you guys bought a boat? Cool!

Rebel

Dy said...

Laura, we haven't read those books yet, but they are on my "must find" list for '06. From what I've heard, the boys will love them!

Rebel, we haven't bought a boat (yet - Ward is angling hard for us to get one, though - he has wonderful memories of growing up on the water and would love to see the boys and Miss Emily have similar adventures and memories. I don't think he's going to have to twist Zorak's arm terribly hard. *grin*) We just rented one from MWR on base. Quite handy - like learning to drive a stick on someone else's truck. :-)

Thank you, all. I am feeling better. Tylenol, Motrin and Aleve have all proven pretty well useless. But time, now that's a healer, and so, it'll pass. (I hope.)

Dy