Tuesday, July 25

Things I Learned Today

1) Men can be kinda weird.

Yesterday, I worked my tush off. What with the mowing and the loading and the hauling and the sorting and the cleaning and the teaching. Not to mention the sheer dehydration. I was so proud of all I'd done. (I even arranged the cooler on the porch for the guys to use as a beer cooler/coffee table - it was a neat idea.) When the guys got home, they said not one (unsolicited) word about all that shining Progress.

Today, I painted the guest room (yes, one room, and no trim - just ceiling and walls), and the way the talked about it, you'd have thought I'd built the Taj Mahal out of dixie cups and gold leaf. Truthfully, the first two times they commented on how hard I'd worked today, and how much I got done today, I didn't reply because I thought they were mocking me. They may have been... I'm not sure.

I don't get it.

2) It's hard to get yourself straightened out when you get up on the wrong side of the bed.

John woke up this morning just completely out of sorts. And somehow, he decided it was Smidge's fault. Oy vey! What a day! End of day report: they both survived and will try again tomorrow.

3) It's delightful to snuggle with the Littles.

I laid down with Miss Emily this afternoon so she could rest. Not long after we got settled, I heard the small, staccato tap of little round feet headed down the hallway, and in came Smidge. He sidled up to the bed and slipped in on the other side. Soon, they were both sound asleep and I laid there, holding my breath, whispering to myself, "Don't give in, Dy. If you fall asleep now, you won't budge til supper. Don't. Fall. Asleep."

That worked, but I did allow myself to relax for a bit to the hypnotic, rythmic sounds of deep Little One sleep. That's better than an hour of aroma therapy or a full day at the spa! Mmm, yummy stuff!

4) A breeze is a wonderful thing.

OK, didn't learn this today. Known it for years. Really missed having one today.

5) I am really very spoiled.

Today I had the pleasure of being read to by John while I painted; being protected from "bad mice" by Smidge (again, while I painted); playing with the "windy cave" James built in the boys' room; watching Miss Emily sit unassisted; hearing the joyful shout of "DAD!" as the boys realized he was home.

And those are just the highlights. There was more. Much more. And it was wonderful. How were you spoiled today? Or what did you learn? Or were you spoiled by what you learned? Whatever comes to mind. :-)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

Heidi said...

When my kids were still wee and sometimes in a grump, I would tell one or another that we needed to just Turn the Day Around. I would scoop up my little grumper and we would twirl, twirl, twirl until we had turned out day around and everything wuld be better from this point on.

Most days, the child would at least crack a smile and we could build on that.

Success was when a child came to me and asked to have the day turned around.

Dy said...

Heidi, thank you for your comment. I used to call a halt to everything and pile everyone onto our bed for some reading and recalibrating. That doesn't work so well now - not enough space. But that doesn't mean I should give up; just means it's time to recalibrate my strategy. Thank you! :-)

Dy

Anonymous said...

Heidi, what a lovely idea. Beats the time I tried a squirtgun.

mere said...

You know sometimes I just have to force myself to think of little things to get myself out of a big ol' funk. How am I spoiled? I have enough food to eat, I can stay home with my kiddos, we have a home (small and cluttered, but still...) with a roof and running water and A/C. I have good medical care. I have friends and family members who love me. I don't deserve any of these things!
Etc., etc...

Dy, would it be alright to link to your blog when I figure out how?

Have a great day!

Bob and Claire said...

I'm spoiled today by listening to Anna laugh--she's just started, and it's so delightfully rusty as she works out exactly how to make the sound! All the boys want to try to make her laugh, which has led to much goofiness. Also, I had a nice, long conversation with my mom today, which was so very, very nice! : )