Tuesday, January 11

The Daily Stuff

The Suburban is at the mechanics' now. They checked it out and sure enough, second gear is g-o-n-e. It's in pretty bad shape, and we were only a few days out from having a "drive in reverse only" vehicle. Again. So, fourth transmission coming up! I am SO thankful this one is under warranty! That $450 on the extended warranty was money well spent. Talk about opportunity cost!

This does, however, leave us with only The Mistress for getting around. Technically, only the Big People are now even remotely mobile. Zorak is the only driver in the house, since The Mistress and I haven't gotten to know one another yet. The boys aren't big enough that either of us would dare to plunk them on the back and trust that they'd hold on. *cringe* *shudder* Just the mere thought of what could happen makes me queasy.

I need creamer, and since it's cold out, I'm guessin' tonight's not the night.

Therefore, I'm drinking the coffee black, and while it does keep the headaches at bay, it does nothing for the mindset or the muse.

We had a great supper tonight. The boys helped make the split pea soup, then watched a video on the Humbolt Squid while the soup simmered. Something triggered The Giggles when we prayed, and from there it just built up and flowed right over. We joked and were just plain silly. Zorak made up his usual word-play riddles. The boys made up some of their own. They absolutely butchered their Latin and that made them explode in another fit of hysterical giggles.

Zorak and I couldn't have kept straight faces if we'd tried. The boys were laughing so hard. I thought John would asphyxiate and James had tears streaming down his face.

By bedtime, we were all exhausted. The boys passed right out during story time. Zorak took the Smidge upstairs over an hour ago and hasn't resurfaced, so I'm guessing he's out cold, too.

That leaves me, humming "So long, farewell..." to myself here in the living room. Eh, the children are tucked in, safe and warm. The house is recovering bit by bit. My muse is ignoring me. I believe I'll turn in, too.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

3 comments:

J-Lynn said...

NOw I have that lovely song in my head. "so long, farewell, elvetazane goodbye" (how bad can I butcher that word? I'm too lazy to look it up).

Other than the cost, sounds like a great day all in all at your house. I love those giggly dinner moments...

Anonymous said...

Posting under the wrong entry since I wasn't sure you read old comments or not.

You wrote:
"From his perspective, he wants them to own it, make it their slave, use it hard and fling it around like a used tissue, baby!"

This is very funny. The sentiment is lovely, though. My son is appreciating geometry proofs and constructions. I hope he can make geometry is slave, baby. He was only minorly tempted by algebra 1 and never came to fully own it ... there's still time though. :-)

be

Kate said...

You need creamer too! What a woman after my own heart! I hope you get it soon - coffee without cream is like toast without butter, or tea without sugar, or books without words!

Smiling,
Kate