Wednesday, January 5

Will Wonders Never Cease

Wow. I checked our answering machine today and among the other miscellaneous calls about Sunday School and KinderChoir and Holiday wishes, there were two strange messages. Both from the same lady, wanting to talk to me. (Or some version of me- she couldn't pronounce my name to save her life- but bless her, she sure tried.) I had a strange feeling that she was calling about my diaper bag (remember, it was stolen the day after Thanksgiving), so I talked with Zorak about it, then called her back.

Well, I had to leave a message and wait for her to return my returned phone call, all the while wondering what in the world she would have to say...

She called just a little bit ago. She has my bag. Says she found it in the bushes in the Wal-Mart parking lot on Christmas Eve and tried to call then. It's all in there except the camera.

Wow.

How great!

Of course, I am a tad bit cynical and not entirely sure she's innocent. Zorak just picked it up and phoned to say it's spotless and hasn't weathered so much as a day in the out of doors. He also said all the stuff is in the one pocket of the bag I never use.

I don't know what it was, and will probably never know the full story. But I'm really thankful that she called. I have been the one to call and return items I've found, so I know how awkward it is to phone someone up and say, "Hey, I, um, have your things here," all the while praying the recipient of the call doesn't lunge at your throat. So I treated her the way I would want to be treated- whatever happened before doesn't matter. She called and returned our things. I'm glad to have the things back that I could not replace- the pictures, the sentiment behind that particular sling, and even the bag itself (a reminder of the four years we spent slogging our way through while Zorak was in college).

I'm sure surprised and thankful for those wonders you just don't see coming.

Oh, hey, speaking of unexpected wonders, anybody want to come help me with this laundry?

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Julie D. said...

What a strange story ... and we will never know what really happened. Glad to hear you got the pictures back. We had a video camera stolen many years ago. We stupidly kept the tapes in the bag so we have no videos of the girls when they were tiny ... I never got to see the one of big sister Hannah (21 months) holding new baby sister Rose in the hospital (not that I'm holding onto that or anything!).

Linda said...

Though I'm sorry the camera is gone, I'm so happy to hear you got the rest back. Thank God for such miracles!

Kim said...

I'll help you with the laundry if you'll give me a hand with mine! And I don't even have an excuse for not getting mine done except that I'm being lazy.

Karin said...

Glad you got the bag back; hard to say if it was her that messed it up, or someone else who then felt guilty and put it where it could be found. Still, I think you handled it well, and I'll help you with your laundry whenever I get totally caught up on mine.

J-Lynn said...

I"m so happy you got your irreplacables back Dy!!!

And you no me with laundry so I *know* you weren't talking to me...hehe

Anonymous said...

Hi Dy! Glad you are home safe and sound. It was wonderful meeting you, for real :) Your family is precious. Thanks for the visit. Love Janet.