Monday, January 17

The Voting is Over

Well, guys, the 2005 Best of Blog Awards voting is over. I'd venture to say the campaign was a sucess. There was a great deal of interactive blogging, new blogs, new awareness of blogging and all it entails, raised from the whole thing. Thanks to everyone who voted, no matter who you voted for- just "Thank You" for being involved in your online blogging community and keeping it fun and informative.

I'd like to share the finalists from the Education/Homeschooling Blog category (although there were many, many great categories! Browse through them if you have some time. You won't be sorry.):

The Homeschooling Revolution, blogged by Izzy Lyman. Not only does she blog, but she writes, too!

Relaxed Homeskool, by Kim, a homeschooler with a flair for great photos who is in touch with the news, the camp, and the overall coolness of livin' the homeschool life!

Tulip Girl, a long-time Classic Adventures favorite read, filled with a little bit of everything- from what's happening in the Ukraine to the latest on Ezzo. She keeps a wealth of information, fellowship, and fun growing in her garden.

Hipteacher, this is a public school teacher with a love of kids and hope for the future. Her blog was new to Classic Adventures, since, well, we tend to hang out with other homeschoolers, just as I'm sure Hipteacher hangs out with other public school teachers. Her blog is an interesting, funny, and at times heartbreaking peek into what a teacher sees in her classroom.

The Quiet Life, ahhh, another Classic Adventures favorite! Our own Dear Donna, with her funny wisdom, kind words, awesome retro photos, and her annual "Show Me Your Household Apparatus" blog! If you haven't had morning coffee and toast with Donna yet, you really must go do it now. I'll wait.

Homeschool Buzz is a homeschool news-type blog. I admit I hadn't seen it before, but it's filled with homeschool news from all around the world (which is nice!), as well as a "Daily Manna" blurb in the upper left-hand corner, curriculum choices on the right-hand sidebar, and a huge, MONGO-sized selection of online homeschooling resources in her left-hand sidebar! Neat stuff.

Guilt-Free Homeschooling, blogged by Carolyn. She's wonderful! She is a homeschooling mom in the season of her life that allows her to look back and say, "Yeah, I wouldn't have worried quite so much about this," or "Step back, have a cup of tea, and try something different -- see? This isn't etched in stone." I know there are many out there who are in this position, but Carolyn is kind enough to actually do it for us! This is another blog we've known and loved here for a while, and it's always worthwhile to go spend a few minutes touching base with Carolyn.

Amy Loves Books, this is another public school teacher blogging her thoughts and experiences along the way. Amy's blog touches more on the personal journal side of things than some of the other ps teachers I've read. She has a great writing style and is very realistic, witty, and honest in her writing. Again, I enjoyed peering down the path we didn't choose and being reminded that they're just like us, learning to read one digraph at a time, hoping for a good day each morning.

PEDABLOGUE, blogged by Mike. I have no idea why this garnered as few votes as it did, because it's a g-r-e-a-t blog! I think, though, that his readership is too busy actually doing things to go vote. When the boys enter college, it is my hope and prayer that they each have at least one (preferably an entire cadre) of instructors and mentors like this guy.

And while this blog wasn't in the Education/Homeschool category, and it's definitely not a Mommy Blog (although I did see a cat picture there recently -- nearly fell out of my chair), it's a wonderful blog filled with a little bit of everything to get your brain working, pique your curiosity about things you haven't yet explored, and in my case, provide a wry smile to get me started on my day. Mental Multivitamin, hosted by Mrs. M-mv and the rest of the M-mv clan! Congrats on your strong showing in the BoB Awards!

What a fun experience!

And now, back to our regularly scheduled blogging.
Kiss those babies!
~Dy

2 comments:

CarolynM said...

Dy,
THANK YOU for such kind words! I have many homeschool blogs that are "daily reads" for me as well -- just to keep in touch with the Mundanes, Too-days, and Woe-is-me-days of homeschooling little ones. I consider all of you homeschooling moms to be "my girls," and it's the eternal mother in me that keeps on sharing. Thanks again, and a great big {{HUG}}
><> CarolynM

Donna Boucher said...

Thank you Dy...for the very kind words! I am proud to have run neck and neck with you this last week :o)
Although I got quite a headstart while you were on vacation.

I hear you are even more beautiful in person :o)