Wednesday, November 10

Why Buy A Twinkie? Why Get An Education?

Hmmm. I was going to just go to bed without blogging, but then I read a thread that caught my imagination. (Or something like that. *grin*) The thread was great, the topic, timely; what good is education, and what do you *do* with an education? It's a fun thread, good for thought. There is one perspective shared which caught my attention, in particular. I can appreciate the point under the ire, certainly, but the anti-American, oh-aren't-you-a-bunch-of-spoiled-irresponsible-ninnies tone was a bit much for me to trust myself to post there... This perspective is that it's a complete waste of money and time to get an education for any purpose other than to get out there and work. Period. (Yes, the poster came right out and made the American connection, this isn't caffeine-induced paranoia on my part, honest.)

So, aside from the whole "collective" thing that came across pretty clearly, that staying home and teaching your children for 20 years is an absolute waste... when one teacher can teach the 30 kids in the classroom and you, my fine Comrade, have a duty to go forth and work. Don't waste your meager efforts on your few children... Emphasis is my words, my inference from the tone of the post.

My mother (who had an 8th grade education, and always valued higher education for us) regularly said, "Your education is one thing nobody can take from you. You earn it and it's yours." She was right-on with this one. You ante up your funds, spend your time, use your brainpower, and in the end, nobody can educate you except for yourself (by availing yourself of the resources within reach). So who do we *owe* for that? I can see a pre-arranged agreement, wherein someone else foots the bill and you then repay via working in an understaffed area or repaying loans. OK. But hook up to the Matrix and cash it all in? Mmmm, no. I don't think so. Not by mandate, at any rate.

Which is my point. I don't think anyone *must* do any one specific thing with something that she has earned, bought, striven for, or attained in any legal manner available. I don't even really agree that the idea is a Capitalist issue, as another fellow dissenter (whom I admire) suggested. Capitalism is a beautiful, lovely thing in my eyes. It's what makes a free market work.

So, going with the free market idea, and not demeaning the value of education at all, but trying to separate the emotion from the logic (for me), let's talk about Twinkies.

You see, if I have the desire to buy a Twinkie, and I have the time and the money to do so, then I might very well go down to the market and buy myself a Twinkie.

Then it's mine. ALL MINE. :-) I don't *have* to eat it, and I don't *have* to resell it for a profit, nor do I *have* to share it with anyone. There is no moral edict that compels me to engage in activity with my Twinkie beyond whatever purpose initially compelled me to buy my Twinkie. Granted, there may be women the world over who would love to have the luxury of buying a Twinkie, and perhaps this is a very American concept, this personal edification thing. I grew up licking the plate clean to the mantra of, "remember there are starving children in China". As thankful as we were to have the food we did, we still wanted the occasional Twinkie (and boy, did I savor it!) It's good to be responsible, certainly, but I honestly do not see how - or why - it is reasonable to begrudge one the fruits of one's labor because someone else's situation is different. How can somebody honestly believe that, in a free society, you *must* follow a prescribed formula for handling your Twinkie? Does it follow that we may also be told what type of Twinkie we may purchase, or in what quantity?

Is this a logic issue? Is there a fallacy of thought there that I'm missing? I see the Opportunity Cost in question here: was this the best use of my resources? Could I have instead purchased snowballs and shared one? Sure. *Should* I have done that? Do I have a moral imperative to make use of my resources only as others deem "fit"? Or am I ok to occasionally buy myself a Twinkie, put it in the cabinet and take it out and sniff it for the sheer pleasure it gives me? (We're assuming an inordinate amount of pleasure from a Twinkie here, I realize this, but bear with me.)

I guess this rubbed me the wrong way because it hit on the private ownership of property (be it real or intangible)? Perhaps I'm sensitive to the "village" mindset that seems to be lurking about, waiting to tell each of us, yet again, how every other culture and way of doing things is superior to the ignorant American? (Although in this case to the educated, Twinkie-buying American.) Is the idea of education for the purpose of creating a well-informed, articulate, noble, high-minded society an "American thing"? I certainly think not! I know Canadians, Mexicans, Germans who all value education as an important, core part of being. Period. Being.

Indulgent? Wasteful? Not committed enough to The Party? What is that?

So if you want to share your Twinkie, or plant it in the ground or write novels and teach others about the joy of Twinkieness, more power to ya. It is, after all, *your* Twinkie. You've earned it, by Golly. Enjoy it as you see fit.

So, what do you guys do with your Twinkies? And do you want more Twinkies? And do you hope your children will also buy Twinkies?

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

8 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, well, I guess you know that post hit a cord with me, eh? To me Dy, it's worse than an ownership of property thing. An education is not a car or a house or a timeshare. It is inseparable from the individual. So to place demands on how it must be utilized intrudes on personal liberty beyond anything I know. Should someone who works out religiously and spends a great deal of effort on a perfect diet then be obligated to use her fabulous body to contribute to society? It's awfully selfish of her to invest all that effort into obtaining a great figure simply for her own pleasure (and her husband's ;) ). I mean, I would love to have a body like that, but alas, it is not in the cards these days. How dare she keep it all to her self?

As a side note, I find it interesting that the same folks who always point out how Americans justify selfish actions by claiming personal liberty are the first ones to cry foul when they think Americans aren't giving a criminal/terrorist/fill-in-the-blank that very same personal liberty.

As for twinkies, I personally love them. I would love to obtain more twinkies for the simple pleasure of getting them. It's not the eating of the twinkie I enjoy, but the getting, you see. I hoard my twinkies. The beauty of the twinkie is that there are so many preservatives that they never go bad. By the time you eat it, it may not taste like you remembered it tasting, but it's still a twinkie. I hope my children will also get twinkies. I don't really care what they do with their twinkies, but I do hope they enjoy getting them.

Stephanie not in TX said...

I love you both :)

A similar discussion came up recently on a friend's blog. He was musing on giftedness, and wondering whether one who is gifted has a moral obligation to use that gift for the good of society. No. No, no, no. Would it be a good thing to use your gift to the benefit of society? Sure. Are you obligated? No. Nor are you obligated to use your education. Or the money you earn. Or anything else.

I will admit, though, that this argument gets sticky for me when we talk about medical development. If you've figured out a a cure for a disease, are you obligated to share it with society? I guess by my own logic you are not, but I'd think you were a terrible person if you didn't.

Man, it's been forever since I've had a twinkie.

Donna Boucher said...

Hi Dy,

I have Crissy's email if you would like to get in touch with her. My email address is at my blog, up near the top of the sidebar: click 'ME'.

Donna

Tenniel said...

Great post and I agree. You earn it, you keep it, you use or don't use it as you see fit.

I struggled with this first hand when I received constant criticism and disappointment from my collegues when I made the decision to be a stay at home mom. I had just finished my Masters degree, was top of my class, an excellent professor and a great debate coach. I was told I was depriving students and society of my talents and so on. I was not living up to my potential and so forth.

My MIL was the most supportive (besides Serona) she read me the following quote which I have impressed on my heartever since:

"Why be the same thing to everyone when you can be everything to just one person."

This has kind of become a mantra for me. Personally I have chosen to pour my education into my family, friends, politics and community through staying at home, homeschooling, being a good friend, volunteering and working for the things that are important to me.

I do not begrudge others their choices to go to work, put their kids in public school and so on Why is it so many people begrudge me mine? That is why you women are so wonderful and uplifting. Thanks!

Kim said...

I received a lot of criticism from others when I graduated from university in 2001 and did not have any plans to pursue full-time or part-time work. I was astounded at the attitude of people in my church when I said I would continue to homeschool. My aunt said something so precious to me: "I think there's nothing better you could do with your education than pass it on to your children."

I like Twinkies because they're just darn good tasting! I like learning because it's just gives me a charge no matter what "use" I put it to.

I loved your post, Dy. Eloquent, as always.

Anonymous said...

Okay, I have a very hard time equating education with Twinkies, ladies...

So I'm going to use Ding Dongs instead.

Yes, I'm with those who say that the Ding Dong is yours; not even just *yours*, but a part of you. I can't imagine not encouraging my children to further their education in *some* way, even if it's for no other purpose than to deepen your understanding of yourself, your fellow man, and your place in the world God has created. Reading, thinking...those are elements of education, and I can't grasp the idea of relegating them to a totally utilitarian place, KWIM? Not that utilitarian use doesn't figure in, I mean, your house could be struck by a tornado, and all of the food in the pantry destroyed...except for that Ding Dong, hidden away in its secret hidey-hole. (I guess the point I'm making here is that I *still* believe a good education will stand a person in good stead when it comes to job hunting; I know that a popular trend is job skill training, but I maintain that an educated person can be trained for almost *any* job, and someone trained to do one job can't necessarily be educated overnight or in a few weeks).

But, different strokes...

Don't tell me that this was a thread I missed on the WTM boards; first I miss the big political hoopla, then this?! Actually, on second thought, maybe it's best that I miss these things, lol...;o)

Jill in OK

Linda said...

Well said, Dy. Add the Japanese to those who highly value education. My single Mom sacrificed an incredible amount so that I could take lessons in various subjects in addition to regular school. (I only wish I was a more appreciative student back then!) She also led by example: as an immigrant, she never stopped learning as she adapted to her new life in America and was always taking classes of some kind (and continues till this day). She was proud when I entered the workforce as a professional, but now that I'm a SAHM I have not heard a peep from her that I am "wasting" my education. She treasures her grandchildren, is concerned about their futures and knows that my heart's desire is for their ultimate good.

Twinkies!! I've already backslidden and eaten Spam, now you want me to consider Twinkies! Lead me not into temptation.... ;-)

Anonymous said...

I loved this! Dy, I love reading your thoughts- you really express yourself so eloquently. And by the way, I think it is amazing that you picked Twinkies- in the last 2 weeks, I have had not 1, not 2, but 4 contraband Twinkies- my first in 20 yrs- and what did I do with them? I ate them in hiding, and even worse, I shared them with the kittens- they liked the cake part and I ate the part with the filling. Sssshhhhhh, don't tell anyone! I am back on the wagon- no more Twinkies for another 20 yrs.
My quote for the day: "Your education is one thing nobody can take from you. You earn it and it's yours." Your mom is a smart cookie, too.
Great post,
LB