Wednesday, November 10

Books (again)

Ah, well, I promised more books, so here's our Current Reading List. First, though, a little public embarrassment is in order:

The phone rang yesterday. Relentlessly. Finally, out of frustration and a last-ditch attempt to maintain my sense of humor, I answered - in my old, "office manager" voice -
"Graham Central".
The voice on the other end said, "This is the Lex- *giggle* What did you say?"
Oh. Oops.
All I could do was laugh and apologize profusely. "Hi! You have a book for me?"
More laughter from the other end. "Yes, we do. We'll hold it for a week."

Reason #345 that I love our library system: they have such great attitudes there! And they don't hang up on me when I do something goofy.

Me:
That food book, y'all know how that's going.
Dumbing Down: Essays on the Strip-Mining of American Culture - yes, I know, I'm probably the last person on the North American Continent to read this.
Reformation and Society in Sixteenth Century Europe - I'm enjoying it. Zorak picked it up and asked for another book. "They have some really disturbing pictures in that one." (I swear he doesn't read books for the pictures!)
The Christ of the Covenants - good book, slow read. I needed to slow down, and this is good. The footnotes are just as integral to the book as the text itself.
Shut Up and Sing: How Elites from Hollywood, Politics, and the UN are Subverting America - preaching to the choir, but this is my loft. Haven't started it yet. Zorak said it's pretty reactionary, even for us. *hmmm...*
The Gluten-Free Cook Book - the pictures look delicious!

The Boys:
Cam Jansen Mysteries
Jigsaw Jones Mysteries
LarryBoy Adventures
Story of Hanukkah
(audio recording- very sweet)
Mrs. Piggle-Wiggle
The Groovy Greeks
James and the Giant Peach
(I grabbed the right version this time!)
Jelly Beans For Sale (James picked this one because of a jelly bean recipe in the back...)
Harald Hardrada and the Vikings
Allie, the Christmas Spider


Picture Books:
10 Minutes till Bedtime
Raising Dragons
Who's That Scratching At My Door
(picture book- cute)

Dr. De Soto (Spanish)

Read Alouds:
Black Ships Before Troy
The Water Babies
Ten Queens
Miracle: The True Story of the Wreck of the Sea Venture


It's been a fun few days for reading. Our new neighbors stopped by yesterday, too, with a box of books they've culled in their move. What we don't want to keep, we'll pass to the WonderfulNeighbors (a lot of boy-oriented books, so we got first dibs) and the box will make its round. What a pleasant, unexpected surprise!

Kiss those babies!
Snuggle and read, read, read!
~Dy

4 comments:

Staci Eastin said...

Ten Minutes till Bedtime is a favorite at our house. It looks really simple, but the pictures are great. You can make a game out of finding all the little mice in all the pictures. Most of them are doing basically the same page on each page. Very cute.

Kim said...

Dy, let me know your thought on The Christ of the Covenants. I'm on the second chapter, and I think it's gonna be along haul.

My kids loved James and the Giant Peach.

I, too, answer my phone with less than typical greetings because I have call display. Once when I looked at the call display, it looked like my husband's cell phone number, so I answered a la Celine Dion, and it was our pastor. Boy was he lost for words, and I was mortified.

Anonymous said...

I'm reading Christ of the Covenants too. Good read. It's going to take me a long time.

Anonymous said...

Oops, that was me, Missy