Tuesday, November 9

She Had Me, Then She Lost Me

Wow. I picked up a book that looked simply delightful last night (in the shadows). Simple Food For The Good Life: A Collection of Random Cooking Practices and Pithy Quotations (Helen Nearing) is filled with delightful quotes from Lucilius (62AD) to Nan Fairbrother (1956), with wit and an open invitation to join around her uncomplicated table...

Until, oh, around the end of Chapter 3, when she lets rip with the bile of the narrowminded and singlularly venemous rhetoric that is, sadly, common among the "raw foods" enthusiasts toward "flesh eaters". (Nothing like being cast as a Beowulf extra at the dinner table, is there?) It's neither convincing nor interesting, but rather the normal fallacies and weak arguments that come of those who have cocooned themselves for way too long and are accustomed to making fine, noisy stump speeches up in the choir loft.

*sigh* What a disappointment. There may well be much worth savoring beyond this PETA-induced frothing at the mouth, but I doubt that anyone who might benefit from it cares to stand there with Ms. Nearing's spittle landing on their noses long enough to find out.

I think I'll keep reading, if only for the wonderful quotes she's dredged up from history, but it's not the pleasant read I had hopes for, and it seems there is far less worth reading than I could have imagined.

Kiss those babies (but for the love of God, don't eat them!)

Dy, The Flesh Eater and Whole Foods Nut

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dy! It's Kathy from the goal board. Was worried about you so thought I would check out your blog to make sure you guys were ok. So glad that things are going well for you. Thanks for the book review; I think I will stay away from that one too.

Linda said...

Dy~ Love your tag line for today! Count us into the club. :-)

Julie D. said...

I just hate that feeling. You're reading along, enjoying the heck out of something, and then get thrown by having something simple turned into an extremist ideology. I'm used to having that happen with sci-fi books but not cookbooks! By the way, I have posted that Chicken Tortilla Soup recipe from long ago when you had so many comments about Mexican food. (http://hcrecipes.blogspot.com/2004/10/chicken-tortilla-soup.html)

Anonymous said...

Shhh. Don't tell any one, but PETA actually stands for "People Eating Tasty Animals."

And what is it with you and "spittle" and "backwash" blog enties???? LOL!

be

Kim said...

But don't all homeschoolers eat their young? :-)

Marla said...

Ok, Dy.... Exactly how far away will I be from you? Will I be seeing you at the library???? (grin)