Tuesday, September 7

Up and Running

Well, Jess, I've been trying for two days to upload videos to my email so I can send them to you. It's not working. Blast this dial-up!! Here is a belated

Happy Birthday, Ryan!!!
We Love You!

The boys are doing math pages, the video upload is locking up my system, and the baby is trying to figure out how to get into the M&M's. What better time to blog, eh?

On a whim we made cake last night. I don't think we ever convinced John that it wasn't someone's birthday.

We've also discovered that singing to Jacob... makes him cry. This is going to make for an interesting day on Thursday. Heh heh.

I'm very thankful that Frances seems to have done her worst and moved on. Hopefully the Floridians can now begin to rebuild (or prepare for Ivan? Just can't seem to catch a break this year, can they?) I know many of the ladies from the WTM forums have checked in. We're still missing a few of our special invisible friends, though. Can we have a quick check-in of our Florida readers & bloggers?

In a more frivolous vein, I wore a lightweight sweater today, in the hopes that this beautiful weather we've been having up here would hold. No such luck, I am a sticky, stinky blob right now. *sigh* But do you think I'm taking this sweater off? Not a chance!

Several people have contacted me to say they had not added to the ideas brainstorm because their ways of helping out weren't tied to an organization. Please, add in anything you do that makes a difference. The more individualized and personal, the better, I think. What I want to show is how much we can (and in my humble opinion, should) do ourselves rather than expecting the government to do it. We're more efficient, more creative, and not burdened by the beaurocracy that has grown up in our government. I've written before about our situation while I was growing up. We had next to nothing, and yet I could fill a volume with stories of the people Mom helped out in gentle, honest, straightforward ways- ways a committee would never think of doing. Don't be shy. I'll gather ideas for a few weeks and then will post a community activism page on our website with a link on the blog.

This is gonna be a long week for Zorak. Three days of toil. (Yes, that's gleeful sarcasm!) Fortunately, as his first year here comes to a close, he's getting more work to keep his hands and mind busy. He's thoroughly enjoying that. So, short weeks are actually packed with productivity and he's always happier when he's active.

We haven't been reading nearly as much as I would like lately. This is entirely my fault. Thankfully we don't have TV to suck us in during the lulls in reading activity. It is so much easier to get back into bookworm mode this way! A trip to the library is certainly on our plan for this week. Any good books y'all have read recently you'd like to recommend?

Ah, well Babyzilla is destroying Math City... time to go intervene.

Enjoy those babies and have a lovely Tuesday!
Dy

2 comments:

Amy said...

Hey Dy, be sure and take pictures of the crying birthday boy! It will be a precious memory for a long time. My favorite part of owning My Gym is at birthday parties when the birthday child is the big center of attention for the birthday song. The reactions are priceless! I cried for the first few months at every birthday party I led!

Anyhoo, I have two more ideas for ya:

Operation Christmas Child (the shoebox thing)
www.samaritanspurse.org

And The Box Project
www.boxproject.org

Just remembered these today. These are both great things to get children involved with as well.

Amy said...

I tried to comment last night and it wouldn't work so I posted these on my blog. But now Blogger seems to be behaving once again so I thought I'd add them here for your readers who don't read my blog. Here are couple more ideas for ways to get involved without the government's help.

The Box Project www.boxproject.org

Operation Christmas Child www.samaritanspurse.org