Sunday, September 19

James' Surprise Party

Turned out not to be as much of a surprise as we thought it would be. He heard the little neighbor girl say something about "surprise" and then her Mom said, "SHHHHHHH!" So, he knew it was coming. BUT, he didn't know *when*, and I wish we had a digital version of the expression on his face when he walked in the door.

It was a blast for everyone!

The day started out great~ we had 24 snails cruising across the back patio, so the boys got to hang out and play with them for about an hour. Then it was waffles for breakfast, and some time to play. (They don't normally wait, but I am pretty sure John foraged and found some snacks Zorak had left out the night before.) I ran to the market, then to pick up his gifts and the party stuff (it is very quiet, and kind of lonely to go to the market alone- next time I'm takin' one or more of the boys with me). I got home and we started cooking supper for a family at church.

Erin (our Wonderful Neighbor) took James & John to the market w/ her and her girls (she says there is no way she wants four children- "They were all great, but there are just so MANY of them! They're everywhere!" The four children are aged 6, 5, 4, and 2- so yeah, that could be overwhelming. *grin*) We got the cake made and decorated, the house cleaned, fajitas and all the trimmings prepared, chips fried up and salsa made- then Zorak picked up James and took him on an errand, while Erin brought the kids to the house to wrap presents and finish decorating (spread confetti, fling streamers- the fun stuff).

Everyone was waiting when Zorak and James came back, and boy was he surprised! At first, all he could do was inhale. LOL. Then he realized there was a total stranger in the dining room (other neighbors had brought a friend of theirs who was in town for the day- that's part of our open door policy- friends of friends are welcome any time) so the first words out of his mouth were, "Wow! ~ Hey, wh- who are you?"

Anyhow, we did things a little backwards, but it worked out great. We did presents first, then ate supper, then cake. That actually is a great way to do things (provided you aren't doing the "30 loud children hopped up on sugar in an enclosed space" parties- then, I wouldn't recommend it). For the low-key get togethers we have, though, it's wonderful, as all the kids enjoy playing together. James got the 50th Anniversary Edition of the Guinness Book of World Records, Sea Monkeys (yes, I am a dork), a new Etch-A-Sketch (the old one had developed a mortal wound in one of the moves and had to be put out of its misery), and a book of Optical Illusions. The neighbors gave him guest tickets to Busch Gardens and a Rubik's Cube (ARGH! It's ok, though, they have a child's b-day coming in March... that gives me time to plan. LOL!) It was a wonderful day of frolicking and playing, dancing and balloon-sword fighting, singing and squirrelling around as any young boy loves to do. He said at bedtime that his favorite part was having everyone there for dinner. I hope all three boys always remember that it's about celebrating life with those you love.

The tradition Ben & Claudia (our old Wonderful Neighbors from AZ) started of giving one sibling gift was continued today- we bought John his very own DVD of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. He bounced around for five minutes, hugging it to himself and shouting "yay yay yay!" The first thing I heard this morning was, "Mom, can I watch..."

Six. It just feels so big. But he's still so small, just a little guy compared to when he'll be "Daddy-sized". I can't believe six years have gone by, and I can't find the words to express it. Perhaps another time, the words won't fail me, but right now all I can do is choke up and shake my head in wonder. Wow. It's just amazing, and James is such a great kid. I wonder if the next six are going to go by this quickly? After the boys were tucked in, Charles and I watched a few videos of years past. *sniff* I'm speechless. We are so blessed.

Enjoy those kiddos!
~Dy

2 comments:

Amy said...

Oh, Dy - it sounds like that boy had a birthday party he'll always remember. You did great!

Yes, six is very big. I remember keeping an eye on those big six year olds so they wouldn't run over my precious child. Now my precious child is one of those big ol' six year olds.

Savor every moment.

Claudia said...

Hi, Dy! I hate that we missed another birthday! It sounded like you guys had a great time. Fajitas? I want some. Please give James a big hug and kiss from me. Miss you guys!