Thursday, September 16

The more mundane

Today was, overall, one of the less eventful days. It certainly wasn't one of the better days, either.

We had Spanish lessons at ten. Everyone slept until nine. Argh. Short, hurried breakfast, then off we went. It went well, for the most part. Our local homeschool group held a curriculum share today that I've been looking forward to for a long while. We did not make it. The boys were just too "off" from the wonky morning. I couldn't put my finger on it, but my Spider Sense was tingling, so I took heed and we stayed in. (I'm glad for that.)

We lunched, then trekked upstairs to the newly decorated "family room", where we read, played Uno, and enjoyed each other tremendously. Then the phone rang. I have no idea what transpired in the time it took me to run downstairs, grab the phone and head back up, but James was raging mad as I topped the stairs. The best I can figure is that Jacob touched, bent... perhaps drooled on... one of the Uno cards... to which, for whatever reason known only in the dark recesses of a frustrated almost-six-year-old's brain, the obvious response was to damage many more Uno cards himself while growling and screeching like a trapped, rabid wolf. Um, yeah, you can go to bed until you calm down a bit. En route, he took the time to stop and smack a guitar that hung from his bed. Note the past tense~ hung. Said guitar has been entered in the Witness Protection Program. I did stay calm, which surprised even me. James was hysterical and belligerant and downright nasty. It is impossible to convey anything to a belligerant, nasty, vengeful almost-six-year-old who has flown with wings spread wide into the Depths of Hysteria. So, I took a deep breath, let him know that while he may see this fit as necessary, the rest of us are under no obligation to listen to it and he can either stop. Now. OR, I can close the door. Either way, we aren't captive to his fits. He stopped. Then he got suspiciously quiet. He was out cold in less than two minutes. That was shortly after lunch. He slept until I woke him at six this evening. Well, that certainly explained a lot.

Jacob went down after drooling on many more Uno cards while John and I played a few rounds. We hadn't played since John learned all the numbers, so this was pretty fun and new for all of us. We had a great time. John watched a movie while I laid down with Jacob and read Lord of the Rings erm, ok, passed out along with the baby. He woke me up when his movie ended and we spent a while reading more about dinosaurs than you'd ever want to know, building with blocks, and just enjoying a little one on one time.

Friends from Arizona will be on the East Coast next week!! We are hoping to coordinate our schedules to get together. They are just the neatest people, and they've got a wonderful little girl we all adore. We really miss them. They left Arizona shorly after we did, and it just feels like it's been forever since we've seen them.

Have not heard from a friend in the Pensacola area. He's a police officer, and I don't imagine things are looking very good right now. We're sure praying he is safe and sound, just busy helping others.

Tomorrow is Friday already! You know, I thought I had a grasp of time at one point. No longer do I suffer from that delusion. Anyhow, Zorak got word that he'll have to work extra on James' birthday, so we now have to plan a party on the spur of the moment for this weekend rather than Monday. (Not like that's anything different than how we normally do things, it's just strange to have a head's up.) We are going to talk to the Wonderful Neighbors and see about doing a "surprise party" for him. I think he's to the point where he'd "get it" and enjoy it. We'll see.

Have a wonderful Friday, and enjoy the world through your children's eyes!
~Dy

1 comment:

Staci Eastin said...

"who has flown with wings spread wide into the Depths of Hysteria."

Great word picture. Been there, done that.

Staci