Sunday, September 19

Put another pot on to brew

It's going to be a long night. I'm doing the wash so Zorak has all he needs for an upcoming trip... thought I'd post random thoughts as they come to me... the fresh pot of coffee is just about done.

I just read this tonight, and found it enjoyable and thought-provoking, told in a lighthearted way. I think I got it from Carmon. But it's late...

*Updated: yep, that's where I found it!*

*************************************************************

And I'm wondering, just how many inappropriately nasty comments does one have to make to a stranger in order to get the coveted NOW "Aggression Badge"? Just curious.

*************************************************************

Haven't been to the boards at all lately. I've been in a very homebody mood, not just in real life, but online, too. There's been too much activity, too much ignorant hostility in the world around us lately. It's too much fun to curl up on the couch with the boys and lose ourselves in a good book, or a rousing game of Uno. Do you suppose my dragon-slaying days are over, or this is just a lull? Whichever it is, it's nice.

**************************************************************

Oh- there's the dryer. Be right back.

**************************************************************

Mmmm, back. Fresh load going, fresh coffee in the cup- what other things are out there?

**************************************************************

We met a wonderful magician today! He is from Ecuador. He came to the US as an exchange student his Junior year in high school, and has returned for college. He's funny, and smart, and very witty. We thoroughly enjoyed standing on the sidewalk out front, visiting with him. He did some magic for the boys. While John bounced up and down, giggling with glee, James was busy turning the poor guys' hands over to see how he did that. A good magician is a humbling thing, you know that? Just when you starting thinking you're pretty observant, you find yourself drawn in and awestruck. Sometimes it's nice to view the world like that once again. I didn't want to know how he did it.

****************************************************************

The boys did math today during church. *shhhh* They don't know it was math. They just thought they were really fun pages to do, you know, for fun. Hee hee.

****************************************************************

We kept Jacob with us today for Sunday School. He'll not be going back to the nursery until something changes there. When we have left him in the nursery (three times- just for Sunday School), I've always left explicit instructions, both verbal and written (there is a "special instructions" section on the sign-in sheet), to come get us if he needs anything. If he needs a clean diaper, a drink, a snack, a hug. If he is anything less than deleriously happy to be there, come get us. Twice I have been taken with a need to go peek in on him, and both times it has been clear that our directions were not heeded. Once, he was asleep in someone's arms, and while I wasn't really convinced of her story (she claimed he just climbed into her lap and stared at her until he fell asleep- he doesn't fall asleep like that, not this kid), at least he was being held, and so I held my peace.

The second time, however, I poked my head in and there he was, red-faced and tear-stained, out cold in a swing with his head flat on the tray. I was so angry I could barely be civil. The lady running the nursery tried to actually talk me out of taking him from the swing by telling me, "He was crying and fussy, so I picked him up, but that didn't help, so I put him in there. He seems fine now." ARGH!!! And obviously he wasn't at some point before he passed out like this!

I explained, through clenched teeth, "I am his mother, and this is my job. I was under the impression that you understood when I said to come get me if he is less than 100% happy. Obviously I was mistaken." Her response? "Well, he seems ok now..."

AEIGH!!! What part of "COME GET ME" does not come out the same as it sounds in my head?!?!

The part that really galls me is this attitude that I am a "nervous first time mother who needs to learn the ropes". Um, no. I have been hearing things like "you need to let him cry" and other such nonsense for six years now. I have picked up and comforted three children, and while I've never once resented picking up a crying baby, I certainly resent someone telling me how to raise my child!

Anyhow, this is "that mentality" that I mentioned I was concerned about when we first considered coming to this church. Zorak agrees that it needs to be addressed (at the very least that they acknowledge that we aren't all Ezzo fans and that not every child is to be treated as an Ezzo-ite). He also, however, wants me to wait for the pastor to mention it. (Pastor seemed a bit confused at the presence of a baby in class today, but said nothing.) While I am normally more than ready to march to the top of that hill and duke it out, I'm wondering if perhaps my less-than-thick skin as of late has been a preparation to listen to Zorak's wisdom and wait for them to open a dialogue. I don't know, but my baby won't be left alone in that room again any time soon. Attitudes don't change overnight.

******************************************************

How long does it take for a load of clothes to dry? Two cups of coffee, at least...

******************************************************

OK, this was funny. True. And funny.

******************************************************

Well, the last load is about to go into the dryer. It's almost one o'clock. Tomorrow's going to be a hectic day, to say the least.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those ignorant nursery people, Sheesh! It's like they have their own way of doing things no matter what you request.
The Flame Warriors were hilarious.

Rebel

Anonymous said...

And I'm wondering, just how many inappropriately nasty comments does one have to make to a stranger in order to get the coveted NOW "Aggression Badge"? Just curious.

Well, let us know since you should earn them for either Aug 11th comment

>> I opened my big, fat mouth and said, "I don't even want to BE here that long!"

Or the whole blog of June 16th.

No wonder you are tired. You spent so much time telling people how much you hate their home state.

A Maryland Sheple