Friday, December 21

One More Gift To Buy

Oh, this was just too sweet, and I can't resist. Tonight, we were doing groceries, when James saw that the store had The Order of the Phoenix. That's the next book on his list. He's been told he must wait until his birthday (next September) to get it. Still, he was so excited to point it out to me.

I gave the non-committal "mmmm, that's interesting" response and kept walking, because, let's be truthful, I'm about done shopping. I bought food tonight solely because I really like to eat.

He paused, and suddenly, his little face just. lit. up. He let out a little, "Oh!", slipped up to me, put his arm in mine, and whispered, "Thank you."

And the child simply glowed through the rest of the shopping excursion.

At the thought of receiving this book.

Not even a hint of disappointment at thinking he knew what he'd be getting Christmas morning. It didn't ruin anything for him. Just total, utter contentment.

Well. Yeah. How can I not pick up a copy now, right?

So, one more stop this weekend, and then I'm really, truly finished. But oh, what a worthwhile stop to make!

Dy

4 comments:

Deb said...

This story made a little glowing warm spot this morning, up here in the Frozen Tundra that is Rochester, NY. It's so satisfying to know there are such good parents as you out there, Dy.

Spinneretta said...

Sometimes they are just so cute :)

What a wonderful moment to share :)

Unknown said...

What a great story. I've had that story on audio, downloaded from iTunes for a long time. The boys both love it.

This year the boys both got shuffles for Christmas. Needless to say, they have The Order of the Phoenix downloaded on their shuffles. ;-)

Melora said...

What a sweetie! So I guess we know how he will be spending Christmas day, eh?
Travis still prefers me to read the HP books To him, which is okay because I enjoy them, but I would be pleased to see him tackle a nice big book. He has been reading Goosebumps (no more than one a week, and yes, I Know they are awful) and Judy Blume (the boy ones) because I absolutely Refuse to read such rubbish. It is those darned paperback racks at our otherwise beloved library that were the downfall of quality literature for us.