Saturday, December 29

Christmas Gatherings. Literally.

This sounds so trite, but we had the nicest Christmas. The children had a wonderful time. We had a wonderful time. The food was to-die-for and since we ditched the traditional menu, the time savings left us with oodles of time to just enjoy the days leading up to, and following, Christmas Day. Other than missing so many of our loved ones, and wishing we could have been together, this was, perhaps, the Best Christmas Ever, for us.

We took over 300 pictures that day. 98% of them are of the backs and sides of peoples' heads. This is not what I was shooting for. This would normally bother me (or cause me to lobby for a better camera... which isn't out of the question just yet), except that the reason for the poor pictorial performance is wonderful: everybody was wholeheartedly engaged with everyone else.

Pfft.

How can I knock that, even in the name of needing to get some good pictures?
See...

Isn't that fun? They were like this all day. The kids were all excited about their own gifts, but they were equally excited to share in their siblings' joy, too. That... that stuff doesn't just... well, that was the best thing I could have found beneath the tree this year, that's for sure.

And my gift? The final gluing and clamping is done. It dries tonight, and in the morning, we stain. I can hardly wait to show y'all!!

Did you have a good Christmas? Did you get a Favorite Shot sometime during the day? Want to post it? I'd love to see it!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

Melora said...

You have a Beautiful family! I love those pictures -- they capture the loving, engaged relationships so well.

Travis had that same Action Figure playsuit (actually in two sizes), and passes them on to Katie. It was one of my favorites.

melissa said...

Ohh, That is TOO cute. They all look so adorable in their jammies. I was busy taking and uploading video to send to Race on Christmas morning.I think it helped to make it a little better for him. Haven't heard from him in awhile, and I sure wish that I would. Anyway, I'll post my favorite pic/video in a day or two....right now I'm in the middle of a fish election. Don't ask.....it's a distraction.

Dy said...

Melora, thanks. The action figure suit is one of my favorites, too. I can't believe it's made it through four children!

Melissa, the jammies had to be done. I looked at the ones from the trees and thought, "Gah! They need winter jammies in a bad way!" So, that was the Christmas Eve gift. Made Christmas morning photos more festive, too. When you talk to Race again, please tell him we're thinking of him and praying for him and can't wait to see where he's going to drag you all on a family adventure when he gets back. Can't wait to learn more about the fish election, too... :-S LOL!

Dy

Jenni said...

Completely candid Christmas shots are hard to get. There are usually so many bodies and so much stuff packed into such a small space that it's near impossible to get a perfect shot that isn't planned and posed. Well, that's my experience anyway. As much as I love pictures, I'd rather live in the moment than plan for memories that won't mean much if I wasn't really engaged in what was going on because I was too busy planning perfect shots. KWIM? Sounds like you do:o)