Tuesday, December 18

Company, or More Forever Home Updates

I know, I promised to relegate those to Sunday's posts only. I lied. It seems that's been our focus this week, and I can't just sit here and hear the voices on my own, okay? So, I've got to share the joy with you.

We're having company next week, and I've noticed that seems to be our biggest motivator. (Ack! Someone might see how we *gasp* LIVE!) I mean, it's one thing to read about it, but it's another thing, entirely, to walk into it. What I really need is a year's supply of guests, each willing to come for one weekend a month, one group per month. That gives me three weekends to get things done before each group arrives, and then a weekend of force feeding people just because it's fun. Really, that seems like the best schedule for us to use. Any takers? Anyone? Please? The last weekend in January looks open, and at this rate, I think we could roll out the red carpet for you by then!

We finally caved and bought medicine cabinets at Lowe's this weekend. We've been holding off for an IKEA trip. There is so much we'd planned to get from IKEA: medicine cabinets, comforters for the boys, new twin mattresses, that hanging chair thing (for the kids, honest), kitchen lighting, perhaps a new sofa. See? That's worth the drive to Atlanta. Unfortunately, we haven't been able to scrape together the time to make the trip *and* the money to blow once we got there, all at the same time. But the kids really need blankets that actually fit their beds, and we really need some storage solutions. So, we gave in and went with this. It turned out great. We put up two cabinets, so there are enough mirrors that everyone can see from the vantage point of his respective sink. Plus, the mirrors are far enough apart that nobody's toothpaste gets in anybody else's hair. (If your toothpaste gets in your own hair, well, there's not much I can do for ya, there.) The gap between the two is large enough that when somebody starts touching someone else, it'll be fairly obvious who violated the airspace. The peace this will bring to my home is indescribable. There is also now enough room to stash a step stool beneath the sinks, and my stubbed toes will be forever grateful to get that bit taken care of.

Then, like the distractable puppies we are, we realized you can now actually access the wee gap between the backsplash and the wall (bad framing, not something we did wrong). It needs caulking before the boys decide it would make a great used floss receptacle. And we thought we found weird things behind the cabinets we pulled out, right? Ew. But, before we can caulk, we really need to paint the cabinet base, and before we can paint the cabinet base, we really need to dismantle the doors and drawers. Oh! Hey! We can paint in the basement! So it doesn't matter that it'll get down to the 20's at night! WOOHOO! Let's go! Now, the storm windows still aren't finished, but the cabinet base is lookin' good.

I worked a bit more in the basement yesterday, too. Cleared off the Big Wonderful Desk (I love that desk), and also cleared off the Small, Semi-Creepy-Yet-Fully-Functional desk from beneath the piles of boxes. Zorak pulled the small desk out and we made the command decision to give it a hearty sanding and restain it, and we'll put it back into the guest room, where it has lived for most of its life. That buys us more floor space in the basement, and gives James a place to work in peace (because right now, he's nine, and he must have peace to tap into his genius. Or something. I don't know. He's nine. We just try to go with it.)

All in all, things are moving along nicely. Zorak asked me to be a little less productive day, and (once I ascertained that he was actually wanting me to relax and rest, and he wasn't being snarky), I agreed. So we're going to be slugs today. Perhaps bake. Definitely read. Maybe even craft something. (Don't quote me on that, though, he said I could relax - so we'll play the crafting bit by ear.)

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

9 comments:

Jennie C. said...

I always feel like such a slacker after reading your blog. Maybe the fact that I'm reading your blog means I am a slacker? Anyhow, you are one of my heroes. :-) Enjoy your day off!

J-Lynn said...

Sounds like a wonderful day! I'm so glad you're making everything work for you guys, it makes such a big difference to have things practical doesn't it?

Hugs!

Melora said...

Sounds like your bathroom is coming along wonderfully! Two sinks in a bathroom is an Excellent idea. For some reason, at our house everyone brushes their teeth in the microscopic "master" bath, and there is much stepping on of toes. For us, also, there is Nothing like company coming to get things around the house done!

Enjoy your day of relaxation -- you certainly earned it.

Dy said...

Oh, Jennie. No, you are definitely no slacker. Have you looked at all the great things you do with your children every day? You're neat. :-) Not slacker-neat, even, just plain neat.

Jess, it has been SO nice to start having a place for everything. There are empty spots now, even! LOL! YAY!

Melora, yes, the two sinks were a non-negotiable for us, particularly since we knew it would be a while before we had a second bathroom! LOL! Unfortunately, even though both sinks were purchased at the same store, at the same time, are the same brand, and same model - likewise with the faucets, as well as everything else about them, from the pipes to the lighting - somehow, The One By The Door is the coveted sink. So *sigh* there are still arguments over who gets which sink. I don't get it. But I'm loving the extra space in there w/ the step stool out of my way! :-D

Dy

Needleroozer said...

Isn't that funny that they would fight over a sink? Go figure!

Glad you are taking a rest day. And yes, I blogged today. Not stellar material, but I did it.

Hope you get lots of rest today. Talk to you soon.
Hugs,
LB

Becca said...

I'd love to sign up for a company spot!! Wouldn't that be so fun to actually get to hang out for days and days with other homeschoolers? And you're right about the motivating factor of company. I never clean faster than I do right before a party!

Heidicrafts said...

You need to declare The Far Sink as Mom's Sink. That will either increase its value or... you get your own sink!

Jamie said...

We are motivated by People Coming in our home, too. Family will be arriving a week after Christmas, so we are finally attempting to conquer: a new shower surround for bathroom #2 (the old one had to be torn down because of a pipe leak back in, I kid you not, August), major garage organization overhaul (labels and all), ripping up carpet, installing laminate flooring, and repainting bedroom for our youngest. All before People Coming are People Have Arrived.

Anyway, good luck with your pre-Company scramble... sounds like you are making progress. :)

Needleroozer said...

Speaking of People Coming being a motivation for all this, did I tell you my sister and her remaining men will be coming over the Sunday after Christmas?! I am excited, but need to get cracking! So much to declutter, so little time.
LB