Tuesday, October 25

So Normal, It's Scary

Today was...

It was...

Um...

That was nice! I hesitate to say it aloud, but I think we might be getting into... you know, that thing... that's like a rut... only... Not Bad. (Starts with a G, but don't say it!)

I'm amazed the difference going to bed before three AM makes. I've actually been hitting the hay around midnight, giving me a solid six hours sleep. That most likely has a lot to do with the new flow to our days. Or at least, my new flow. The boys are their typical rowdy, frolicking, playful, happy selves. I'm just no longer grouchy with them about it. This might be worth making a habit, eh?

You will not believe this, but we did math today. That makes two days IN A ROW that we've done both Language Arts and math! We almost feel productive. *sheepish grin* The boys also had several spurts of independent reading, which was nice, as I hopped on the bookwagon and did some of my own, as well. (Currently reading The Oxford Book of Gothic Short Stories and Don Quixote. Finished Quicksilver, and am reminded why I swore after finishing the Aubrey-Maturin series that I would not pick up another book with sequels. Now I have to go back to the library and try to find the second book.)

Lunch was yummy: rice with broiled pork chops and sliced apples. Supper was easy tonight: roast in the crockpot with 'taters, pintos with garlic, sliced cucumbers, and for dessert - ice cream with sprinkles! The roast came out like prime rib! I felt like I could take on Betty Crocker herself and only get mildly whooped.

James improvised a "new knot" today, then tried it out by making hammocks to sling from the top bunk. They worked! The boys spent a good four hours of the day suspended, swinging freely between the beds. It was like a gargantuan butterfly garden at hatching time!

Zorak is back out at the FH, doing his thing. Tomorrow he'll take a break and take the boys to Pioneer Club so I can pester the Lowe's guy on faucets and bathtubs a bit more. That's just not something best done with children in tow, so I truly appreciate the reprieve!

And here it is, a little after eight - the house is clean, the boys are all asleep, laundry's caught up... I'm going to go play!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

J-Lynn said...

OK, hot meals for lunch? You are scaring me...LOL

Sounds like it was a great day! I was going to call you tonight but Lyss was still up and we haven't got to spend much 1 on 1 time lately so I surprised her by calling her out of bed, sitting her on what's left of my lap and reading a book with her. She's starting to sound out words herself too!

LOL@Math. You sound like me. I told Ryan tonight, "Ummm buddy? I think we better do Math tomorrow, it's been awhile". Thankfully he loves math!

Hugs and love - if I get a break tomorrow I'll give you a call.

Love you!
Jess

pilgrimama said...

Hi Dy! Catching up on your blog after days of great activity and just wanted to say I adored Zorak's quote on the " have you figured out what causes that" question! I can hardly wait to tell my DH. Another big family gal! Marcella

Laney said...

I am unable to comment because I am reeling from the knowledge that you re able to function on less than 6 hours of sleep. :-)

If I don't get 7-8, at least, you might possibly see my face on a sheet of paper in the post office, LOL!

Sounds like good days all around!

Dy said...

Um, Laney, remember, I don't move quickly (ie - run) like you do. That makes a difference. Besides, you can't run w/ hot coffee in your hand.

Hi Marcella - it's good to see you!

Jess - don't worry, the hot lunch was just b/c I needed to use the pork before it went feral...

Dy