Friday, October 21

Gearing Up

We are learning that it is difficult to switch gears so drastically, and so often, but we are learning, which is good. We spend three days working non-stop on the house, with very little actual interaction with the boys (which we hate, to be honest, but it's a necessary evil for the short term), then spend the next four days trying to get back in the Normal Groove. So far, it's been on that last day that we hit the groove, just in time to gear back up for another three-day round of work.

Today was significantly more Intentional than yesterday, and we all felt the difference. I am so thankful for today, as it regenerated our spirits, soothed our rough edges, and infused us with a renewed enthusiasm for the coming days' work.

Today we read counting stories to Smidge; we sang Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star to Emily (at least that's what we think we'll be calling her); the boys and I explored the world of genetics and albinism, the realm of the whales, and the mysteries of numbers. Today the boys and I talked more, touched more, laughed more, and played more than we have all week. We also did an inordinate amount of laundry, general housework, cooking, and baking (wheat free gingerbread cookies!!) I got more sleep last night, which made a tremendous difference. The boys took their time savoring the delicious parts of the day, and sharing them with us. That was nice, as well.

Tomorrow begins another round of frenetic activity. This weekend is a big push. I'm not sure what we need to have accomplished by Sunday evening, but it looks pretty big from the sketches we've done so far. It's a little scary, and I know that we've undertaken a truly astronomical task, considering the circumstances, but it's still do-able, and still quite thrilling. And we've only got three weeks and one day to have it in a condition which will allow inhabitation. Eek. That's both good news and really, really scary news! Since I'm fairly well-rested at the moment, it seems brighter than it might otherwise feel. Remind me of this Sunday night, when I'm dead on my feet and convinced we'll have to live in the basement for the next ten years, ok?

All is well, but I promised myself I'd get to bed at a "decent hour" tonight, and well, that has long since passed... so, to bed.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

6 comments:

Kim said...

You're such a good mommy,Dy. Your boys will rise up and call you blessed, as will their wives.

Amy said...

Emily - that is a beautiful name. And on your blog you can call her EM :wink:

Amy

Laney said...

I love the name Emily! If that doesn't work you could always go with, say, maybe, Laney??? LOL!!

Just kidding!

Sounds like y'all have gotten yourself into a good groove of work, play and intentional living.

Emily (Laundry and Lullabies) said...

I think Emily is a great name. ;)

J-Lynn said...

I still say you should call her Jessica to make the boys happy with the "J's". LOL

Seriously, I love the name Emily and with your full name it sounds so proper and cute!

Hugs - prayers for stamina and peace to get through this tough weekend. Wish I was there to take the boys for a day!

Emily said...

I cannot think of a better name! :) We are so happy for you all!