Thursday, October 27

The Remodel: random bathroom thoughts

Wow, y'all have great ideas! Thank you for joining in!! Here's the bathroom skinny so far. The house has 1 3/4 baths, with the toilet/shower/sink bath being off the master bedroom. The full bath is the "main bath". It's in the hallway amidst the bedrooms, and we started with the main bath just because it had a tub - we'd rather wrangle kids in the tub than the shower. (It also turned out to be far less structurally damaged than the other bath, thankfully.)

It was a small bathroom (5'x8'). When the door was open, it cleared the toilet by less than an inch (never open that door if someone might be sitting!!) The vanity was just to the left of the door (the 5' is the depth as you look in, and the 8' was the width). The vanity took up all the space from the wall to the door jamb, front-to-back, side-to-side ~ a vast expanse of counter with one lone sink in the middle. The toilet was *right there* to the right of it, in front of the door. The tub was hidden behind the door when the door was open, and the tub spanned the width of the bath on the far right-hand side. That was it. Step in, scootch one hiney cheek onto the vanity counter so you can shut the door, and then step into the tub. Small, compact, and considering everything (except for the rot and such) pretty efficiently laid out for the space constraints.

What we've done/are doing now:
1) That door? Gone. Putting in a pocket door so we don't hog space in the bath or seal off the hallway. Yay!

2) Everything else is gone, down to the joists and studs now. The back wall to the right, which housed the back of the tub, was removed and a new one built a foot farther out. That took a foot from the fourth bedroom, but eh, we'll use the bathroom more often than a fourth bedroom. No regrets, there.

3) The 24" deep, single sink laminate vanity will be replaced by a 22" deep marble twin sink vanity. We'll have to shave a half inch off the ends of the top to make it fit in the 5' space, but that's better than going with one sink instead of the two we'd really like (there'll be a lot of people at the sink every day for the next umpteen years). To get a double sink in a solid surface counter that isn't custom made *cha-ching*, it has to be just a hair over 60", minimum. We're shaving the hairs off right at 60", so we're getting creative. This will give us just a bit more cubic space at the entrance, double sinks, a solid surface counter, and I can get a stock 60" vanity cabinet to put in there. WOOHOO!

4) Toilet. Well, it's a toilet. I know there are myriad options, but this isn't one I wanted to wrestle. It's going to catch urine. The urine of four teenaged boys. And their friends. We went with the one-piece toilet, for obvious reasons. :-)

5) Bathtub/shower. I started with the standard, "what'll fit in there that's in stock?" approach. Zorak, however, had other plans. I like his plans much better than mine. I do love a bath. I do love a deep bath wherein I don't have to roll from side to side to keep warm. Bless him for thinking of that. We'll use the tub/shower combo daily. It's a good investment. And there's already a second shower via the master bath, which is going to get the whomperdine Tuscan Villa Resort treatment in the spring sometime. *cheesy grin*

6) Flooring. It was molded (as in green, not decorative) vinyl over rotted MDF. Lovely, cushiony sensation to walk on, but not much to look at. Not terribly inspiring for those with a chronic fear of falling through the floor, either. We have to jack the floor up about 1/2" over the next few days (another surprise, but not too bad - we'll work in the kitchen while the house is getting it's, erm, tummy tuck). When that's done, we'll put in tile flooring.

*decadent sigh* This is so. much. fun. hee hee. Although, honestly, I much prefer the planning over the shopping. Ugh. Too many faucet choices. Too many things to consider that I didn't ever think about considering (and would rather not start now, but there's that whole "matching accessories" thing going on in there...) However, when you find the CSR at Home Depot or Lowe's who really enjoys the projects and his area of expertise, it's quite painless.

Oh, Lighting. Lighting has me a bit stumped. I think we'll go with a sealed, recessed canister light in the ceiling over the bath/toilet area. And I'd prefer to do the side-lighting on the vanity than the glaring overhead circus bulbs we've always lived with. However, with such a span, I'm not sure if maybe we'll need lighting in the middle, too? I don't. It's tempting to buy eight dozen of those round touch lamps and hook 'em all up to The Clapper or something. Something that doesn't require more shopping in order to plan. *grin*

Anyhow, that's the thing on the bathroom. It's not "This Old House" quality remodeling, I'm sure. But it's ours. And it's safe now. Y-a-y.

(Patty, the back deck is a prime spot for a hot tub!! It's not in the immediate future, but it's on the map, definitely! Mmmm, that sounds so heavenly right now...)

Thank you for sharing your great ideas and suggestions and - as always - cute stories. This is a fun phase in our life right now, but it's exhausting. So it's nice to come home at the end of the day, plop down with a cup of coffee and enjoy being greeted by your comments and emails. Thanks!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

7 comments:

H said...

Okay, wait....did you say FOUR teenaged boys? Did I miss a key revelation somewhere?

On an entirely different note, I really like your ideas for your bathroom, and think a nice, deep tub will be just the thing! You'll never regret having a great soaker tub.

It's so fun hearing about all of your work and your plans! I'm looking forward to seeing the "before" and "after" pictures. When do you anticipate moving in?

Hillary :)

Dy said...

Um, *blink blink* I did. I have no idea why, either. No, Em's still an Em. And I'll even let her use our bathroom, so she won't have to suffer through using the "public urinal" in the hallway, too! lol. Man, I must be really tired...

I *thought* we would be moving in, cabin-style mid-November (our rental agreement ends Nov 12th, per the 30-day notice we put in). Zorak informed me *today* that he doesn't think that's going to happen. Um, yeah. Little more advance notice would'a been helpful, you know, with the leasing office and all to deal with. *sigh* I have to remember that the fact the man thinks in Power Point Presentation Format is what makes him an excellent engineer, even when it does make me batty as hell. So, move-in date? I have no idea. And evidently I'm not even sure how many children we'll end up with, either. LOL.
Dy

Thom said...

Wow. That's some serious work. It's amazing to me how much fun you're having doing all of this. I'm quite tired just reading about it! LOL! Seriously, WTG on all you guys have accomplished so far.
The twin sink thing is just a stroke of genius and a really deep bath...?
Oh. Yeah. You KNOW you'll never regret getting the deep bath.

I love coming over and reading about your progress. And I know you're waiting to do the before and after thing before you post pics, but could we maybe get just a little peek? Just a little tiny low-res image, or something? ;0)

J-Lynn said...

ROFL@4 teenaged boys! Tell your subconscious to face the facts, she's a girl! ;-)

Pocket doors are a great idea! And I am still wondering how a bath is easier than a shower? My kids take baths like 3X a year because showers we find just SOooooooooo much quicker and easier with them all.

HUGS

Dy said...

LOL Jess! My fat babies are quite slippery and squishy when they're soaped up and none of them like the shower raining down on them. So we have to hold them up - it's like wrestling bagged lard. In the tub, they don't have far to fall if I lose my grip. :-D

Dy

Unknown said...

Truthfully, I don't know why pocket doors are not the standard! I love those things. I hate it when doors get in the way!

Dy, I'm so thrilled for you. I know that in the end all of this work will soooo pay off!

Patty in WA or Rover said...

We just re-did our bathrooms (after 40 years in the NorthWest, any bathroom needs some help), and we put in a pocket door just for the traffic-flow purpose.

Lighting: do overhead for general, but also do some sconces right on the mirror, especially in the master. The reason is that ...well, after 40, you will know the reason. Also, pay good money for a good and quiet fart fan. Something that really works. First of all, it keeps the bathroom drier after showers, reducing mildew, and second, as its "pet name" implies, it does a real JOB which cuts down on the need for aerosol chemicals to "freshen" the air. And ironically, the bigger they are, the quieter they are.

If I had had the brains or the nerve I would also have put a reading light near the "throne". Might as well live with the reality I married. I did manage to get bookshelves put in there. (wink)

And my very favorite thing I got out of our remodel? My hairdryer is in a drawer with a plug at the back of it. I never have to plug it in/out...just lift it out and turn it on and off.

My second favorite thing is that we got those toilet paper holders that don't have the spring-loaded roller--you just slide the roll on and off. It makes it a NO BIG DEAL to change the roll.

I love remodels==other people's that is.