Monday, October 17

Happy Suit

Do you have a favorite outfit or shirt? One that makes you feel your best, your most adorable, most approachable -- your Happy Suit? I had one, years ago, that made me feel that way. It was a sweatshirt/jeans outfit that I simply adored. The sweatshirt was grey and teal. It had a soft caressing texture on the inside, and the jeans were slightly baggy (but in a comfy, darnit-this-is-cute sort of way). When I wore that outfit, I felt absolutely magazine-model-casual-attire stunning.

Then I'd see a picture of me in that outfit. The tangible results were shockingly different than the rose-colored vision I carried around. It was, in a word, horrid. The sweatshirt neckline does nothing for my head (or sweatshirts in general, for my body), and the jeans had that "yeah, I've lost about eighty pounds, but don't want to buy new clothes until I know the weight's going to stay off" hang to them. No matter how nicely the hair/makeup/nails were done, this outfit just screamed, "I do not care what happens to me!" No wonder Zorak never beamed lustily at me when I donned my Happy Suit. It probably wasn't such a Happy Thing for him to have to be seen in public with me in it, and he showed no remorse when the sweatshirt received it's culling from the herd.

Well, I've found a new Happy Suit. And, I fear, it probably does about as much for me as that last one did, but darnit, I just don't have to be photographed when I've got it on. But I do plan to live in it until Spring, just because. It's soft. It's fuzzy. It's roomy. And it's probably ugly, too, but that's okay. I got some great jeans to go with it...

7 comments:

Sheila said...

I have a happy suit. The colors are back in style but being out of style never stopped me from wearing it. I'll have to take a picture of the pants because they defy description. My friend calls them the "chartruese pants"...but they are so much more than that. They are also orange, teal, and grape purple stripes with white highlights. I have a wide brim hat to match and a scarf. It's my horse race outfit.

Oh yes...ZooDad loves it. he can spot me a mile away.

H said...

What? No pictures? This post begs for visuals.

And Dy, I've seen pictures of you. It's hard to imagine *anything* looking unflattering on you!

What happened in the living room yesterday?

Hillary :)

Thom said...

I've had practically the exact same happy suit experience, many times over. I buy an outfit, I feel great in it, eventually see a picture of myself in it and want to crawl in hole and die (while still wearing it--it IS still comfy, you know).

As a matter of fact I'm currently donning what you might call a "happy-suit-for-around-the-house": extra large comfy, multi-pocketed britches and a big ole shirt. Not for outside the home wear, but sooo perfect for sittin in front of the computer!

Enjoy your happy wear!

Staci Eastin said...

I had a happy suit once. It was a teal shirt with matching leggings. Until one day, Theodore said, "I know that outfit is probably comfortable, but please throw it away." LOL.

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

ROFLMAO Yes, and my Happy Suit is about the same as yours-- baggy flannel-lined khakis and an over-sized sweatshirt, though baggy jeans will work in a stench (in a "it's time to wash the khakis" kind of way).

I feel wonderful in my Happy Suit. However, photographic evidence confirms that I look like a cow in it. Ah, well. That's what shredders are for.

J-Lynn said...

Yes, DH has pretty much squashed all the life out of my happy suits. My mom gave me a pair of stretchy jeans, they aren't really jeans but a weird hybrid of stretchy pants (without the foot cuffs) and denim material. Geo had a severe allergic reaction to them and did what he never did before, banned them from the house...LOL I guess I understand, if his step-dad passed some of his golf pants Geo's way I'd ban them too. ;-)

My current happy suit is stylish, at least *I* think so anyway. It's a 70's retro empire waisted colorful swirly pink shirt and some straight legged maternity trousers which are awesome. The problem is I can't wear it everyday of the week.

I need more happy clothes!

melissa said...

Yeah, I'm with Hillary. Where's the picture?