Friday, October 7

Oh, Happy Day

We have a home. Not just any home, but our Forever Home. Tonight we walked in without having to scrounge a key from someone. Tonight we unloaded the swingset onto the porch and stared at the wall between the kitchen and the living room (imagining it was already gone, and it looks beautiful like that!)

We gave the boys their own little pry bars and talked about some of the pitfalls of having a Very Responsible Position (splinters, nails, the temptation to beat one another about the head with the trim pieces... you know, the basics). Their little eyes were simply huge, and they're anxious to begin. But first, they get to gather up all the twigs and put them in The Fire Ring (ooooooohhh), which is also a Very Responsible Position. No, they don't get actual fire for it, but that's not really the point when you're five and seven. And two.

I think they *get* that we're doing big things to the house. It has begun to sink in that, somehow, it's not going to look as it does now, once we're finished. They don't quite grasp the magnitude of the change, though, and I'm so excited to watch as that awareness dawns and they make the connections. Oh, this is fun stuff!

Zorak and I have used the word "wow", as a sentence all its own, more in the past seven hours than we have in both our lives, combined. It's a stunned, euphoric, slightly panicked sensation that slips out involuntarily. Sometimes it's a whispered "wow", and sometimes it's a firm "Wow". The other one nods in understanding and we hold hands for a bit. Third party observers may speculate that we've been toking it up a bit, but no. This is just the blissful realization of a dream and a goal. It's... wow.

The boys are sound asleep - John didn't make it home awake. Smidge was in his jammies and half-asleep before I could get my shoes off. James tried very hard to pretend he was asleep (or at least too sleepy to walk) so Zorak carried him in. (We both remember as children how good it felt to be carried inside after a long car trip - that's one of the perks of childhood. How could we not indulge that warm, safe, loved feeling?) Zorak is on a Wal-Mart run for a few essentials and we'll be out at the house First Thing in the Morning (sure hope I can find that setting on the alarm clock!) Time to get to work.

Have a lovely Saturday, and as always kiss those babies!
~Dy

17 comments:

H said...

Yay!!! Congratulations! I am so excited for you, and eager to hear of the changes you make in your new home. How wonderful to be making all these changes before the holidays. Imagining you all in your Forever Home at Christmastime (snow on the ground, yummy baking in the kitchen, Christmas music in the air) is such a sweet mental picture.

And just think, Smidge will probably not remember living anywhere else but there!

And I promise not to ask any more questions about mold or air quality.

Unless you bring it up first. :)

Hugs, high fives, and squeals of glee!!!

Hillary :)

Amy said...

I have been hoping to hear this all day!! WELCOME HOME!

Enjoy, don;t work too hard, be careful, enjoy!

I have to say that from my seat you have been my hero during this process. "If Dy can do what she does, then I can face my day with a pleasant smile"

Amy in Apex

Staci Eastin said...

I'm so happy for you. I don't know what to say. I guess I'll just go with...wow. May God bless you in your new home.

L said...

Hurray! Hurray!

I was hesitating with my congrats because, while you mentioned that you had signed a mountain of mold papers, I couldn't find any key phrases which indicated with absolute certainty that you signed the papers, and, well, not that I don't have absolute confidence in your abilities to make things happen, I know how those things go sometimes... :)

CONGRATULATIONS!

Wishing you great happiness in your new home.

Finally!

Laney said...

I have tears, Dy, realy, I am jut sooo happy for you, all of you.

You will be in my prayers today!

Laney

Denise said...

This is wonderful! My s/o and I have been pondering the idea of a house, a forever house. One that needs big changes that all of the children can participate - a way to make it truly ours.

congratulations to your entire family.

Kim said...

Hip hip horay, Dy has her forever home today!

Congratulations! May you have many, many happy years there!

Jules said...

Congratulations Dy and family!!

I am sorry I have been AWOL this week. I just got caught up on reading. What an exciting week you have had!

I am so happy for you. I hope your forever home is a place of plenty and grace, and many, many happy memories.

Good luck with the renovations!

Spinneretta said...

YAHY! Welcome Home Dy and Family!!!

Enjoy it, and have FUN! You desperve it after all you've been through :)

hornblower said...

hurrah! & best wishes. :-)

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you and your family! Good luck with all the hard work that still lies ahead.
-dawn

mekanamom said...

Congratulations!! Very, very happy for you!

Unknown said...

Congrats from our family to yours!

I cannot imagine having a forever home -- I am a restless soul and love changes.

So, so, so, so happy for you!

pilgrimama said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Need I say more? Marcella

Dy said...

Oh, thank you so much, guys.
Jules- Welcome Back!
Hillary- it's okay, you can ask, but since you're stuck adopting me, that means you have to feed us if we come through your state someday! ;-)
Amy- Um, I feel that I owe it to the Truth in Advertising Campaign to point out that I haven't always had a smile on my face during this process. But if it helps, we can pretend.
Lynne- you are good. The mold disclaimers had all been signed, dried and filed before the mold ever came up. Weird, isn't it?
Julie- believe me, nobody is as surprised as I am to find that *this* is where we landed. I wasn't joking about the gypsy blood. :-)
Dy

J-Lynn said...

CONGRATULATIONS DY!!!!!

I'm so happy for you guys!!!

Thom said...

WoW! And a BIG amen! I'm so happy for you guys!