Friday, October 28

Oh. My.

What a day. It was pretty much a waste until the very end, so I'll focus on that part. The rest involved an exploding coffee thermos, a ruptured trash bag, 20 minutes straight of vomiting in the car (my own dumbass fault, I accidentally inhaled coffee... And then it got weird), exploding poop diapers, traffic jams that go on for over 15 miles with no end in sight, fruit flies, and children who fall asleep just as I arrive where I need to get out. Not once, but twice. That wasn't all, and it wasn't the worst that happened today - but that whole Intentional Living thing? This is when dedication to the philosophy gets put to the test.

We ran home so I could shower and change, then Zorak picked us up and we headed out to the house to put the jack posts in and get things secured. We had supper on the porch. We stoked the fire and watched the sparks as if they were the most beautiful July 4th celebration ever. We managed to lift the floor 1/4 of an inch (and will now give it 24 hours to settle before lifting more). That was good. Exhausting, but good. (See? I told you it got better!)

Zorak tried to get an AL driver's license, but that didn't go so well. After waiting there for three hours, they told him they wouldn't get to him that day and sent him packing. Argh. Talk about frustrating!

However, he did have time while waiting to hop across the street to where there was a mongo yard sale. He's not a big yard saler, really, so imagine my surprise when he called me from there to see if I was nearby... Because he'd found a table and chairs he wanted me to see. Hmmm.... I whipped the Suburban around, got mildly lost two or three times (still learning the ropes, or something like that), and pulled up to find a yard sale that could be seen from outer space.

The table is solid wood (probably pine, but it's THICK, THICK wood). It has four chairs, and a full-length bench! This is exactly, precisely, specifically, to-the-gnat's-netheregions, what I've wanted to put in the kitchen!! Serendipity! Joy! The chairs are stout, heavy, strong, and well-made. The set is exquisite (although the finish is very dark, so that'll come off... You know, when we need a project to do around the house). The Piper's Fee for such a sweet deal? $40. And we have the pickup to load it into! Happy, happy day!

Tomorrow begins The Remodel, Day Way Too Close For Comfort. I'm getting a bit nervous, and it's killing us that we don't have Our People, or Our Places to call on. Community is a good, good thing, and something it's easy to take for granted until it's not available. But it's okay, we will probably always be doing something interesting, and we will not always be New To The Area. That's such a comforting thought - this is the last time we'll have to be New! See? Another good thing!

Ooo, and on that note, I think Zorak just had an epiphany. I'm going to go pick his brain.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

4 comments:

melissa said...

Ooooo Dy, I'm sorry. Sounds like a rough one. Rescue remedy??? I was wondering if after inhaling and the vomiting coffee for twenty minutes, you had kicked you addiction? Nah, didn't think so. You deserve a mega pat on the back for finding and posting the good parts of the day!
I am glad that I read this post today so that I could read the term "gnats nether regions". Thats a new one for me, and I shall work to find a way to use it today!

J-Lynn said...

LOL poor Dy. I'm sorry I'm laughing but it's always funnier afterwards and from someone elses experience isn't it?

I love you - you're doing great! Congrats on the table - what a find!!! My dream table will have a bench too.

Bob and Claire said...

Wow, the table sounds incredible--what a find! Our table (which we got in Amish country for a WHOLE lot more than $40!) also has a bench, and we love it. Right now all 4 boys can fit on it, if need be, and it takes up so much less space than all those chairs. I'm glad you had something good come out of your day! : )

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

I've had my Oklahoma driver's license since 1994. And yes, we've lived in 3 other states since then (and twice in Texas). :D I've decided I no longer care.

Yes, I'm a true rebel. ;)