Friday, October 21

The Remodel, Day 7

Full day today, and we're all pooped. But the main bathroom is ready for subflooring and rough-in!!

***Pause here to do my Caddyshack gopher dance!!!***

We had to yank the entire master bath today. The shower came out and it was worse under there than we'd anticipated (if you can believe that). I think we wriggled something else loose, too, because then the sink began spewing water and we figured we'd might as well yank it all out. Let it dry. Work on it tomorrow. While it wasn't what we'd hoped to do today, it was on the radar anyway. So, better now, and we have more room to maneuver and work. So, it's good.

Our construction dumpster *finally* arrived this afternoon! We've had some serious Bad Neighbor action building up on the front porch, the balcony, and in the living room, and were running out of places to put the torn out materials, so its arrival today was cause for celebration. The driver was great! The boys had a blast watching him drop the container from the truck, and he showed them how it all works. Good stuff, there. And I'm so thankful he could get over the culvert! WooHoo!

The boys are really hanging in there. They love, love, LOVE the pickup and spent a great deal of time hanging out in the bed for snacks and Just Because. They also spent several hours throwing tile off the balcony into the dumpster that finally arrived. We threw the tub in and made that the "target" for them to aim for, and it was definitely a fun-filled time! They did great, and the front porch is nearly cleared off now (I kept their ammo fresh by bringing the stuff out in a wheelbarrow).

Zorak had to throw the big stuff overboard. I tried one, and while it wasn't too heavy to lug up 'n over, it did catch on my belly on the way up. I'm not terribly coordinated at the best and thinnest of times, but this thing really seems to jut out there. So, Em and I decided we'd rather go hang out with Spartacus and do subfloor duty. :-)

Oh, guys, it's starting to look So. Good.

And FALL IS COMING! (Yes, yes, I know it's been "fall" for a month.) There are little spurts of red and orange popping up on the property. The sunlight filters through the leaves so beautifully, and there's been a (yay!) breeze all day! It was all I could do not to grab a blanket and a cup of coffee and curl up on the balcony to stare into space. (Well, and my aversion to getting beaned by toppling acorns helped curb that desire a bit, too... what is the velocity of an acorn at the end of a 40' fall, anyhow?) Oh, but it is a gorgeous time of year to gut a house!

Zorak needs the computer to do a little HomeWork, and I've got to go hose off and pamper myself with a little reading before bed. Tomorrow is a big, big day! Yay!

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

Oh, I almost forgot. I think Zorak lost it today. We went to lunch at a quaint little diner in town. (It is THE only sit-down restaurant in our town.) As usual, the boys attracted a lot of attention, and as usual, at least one person just had to ask if we've figured out what causes that yet. Zorak laughed and said, without missing a beat, "Of course! Why do you think we have so many?" I nearly choked on my okra, but the Questioner laughed heartily -- and stopped asking cliche questions. GO ZORAK!

7 comments:

Staci Eastin said...

I live in the land of falling acorns as well.

We also have hickory nut trees. Did you know that if one parks his car beneath a hickory nut tree, a falling hickory nut can break one's windshield? It can. Ask me how I know.

J-Lynn said...

Yikes, at our favorite park we live in fear of the giant Oak. Those things are like bullets man!

ROFLMBO@Zorak - I wish I could have been there! I'll have to share with Geo.

I'm glad things are looking so good, and the Fall weather just makes everything seem cozier doesn't it? I can't wait to sit on your porch with you. Nursing our babies and drinking something hot while our boys rescue things in the yard. We are really going to try for Spring sometime if you guys are OK on the house.

Jess

Laney said...

LOL!! What I would have given to be privy to that conversation!

I can't wait to see the forever home after pictures. I feel excited for you and the fruit of your labor. :-)

J-Lynn said...

OK, anxiously awaiting day 8 - cm'on now. You think you deserve rest or something. ;-)

Love ya!

melissa said...

Zorak spoke that like a true southerner!! Now, THAT's what people understand!!! Too funny. I am glad that y'all are still truckin' along ('scuse the pun) with the house, and ....hey...I'm glad y'all are eatin' okra. I miss you guys and sure wish that we could take a long road trip!

Gem said...

Isn't it ridiculous that a family of 5 with one on the way is considered a large family?!

Heidi said...

Hooray for the gopher dance.

A friend (and father of eight) considered 1-4 = small, 5-8 = medium, and 9 and up = large.

They had seven boys, then a girl. Everyone toild him that he could stop trying now. He told them all that wasn't so, he wanted six more girls to match. Alas, age set it and they stopped at eight, all homeschooled and ranging now from fifth grade to grad school. They are our inspiration family.