Monday, March 9

Goodbye Joe.

I'm back. (This is cross-posted from FB, so if it looks familiar, it's because I'm plagiarizing myself.)

I feel surprisingly good, although I have three little hickey marks on my "flank" (could they not come up w/ a Latin term for that???). It looks like I've been attacked by a three-fanged vampire. Or a toddler with a coffee stirrer/straw.

It wasn't bad. But I think they put in a trach tube, b/c I woke up w/ waxy stuff all over my face and my throat feels like I've had strep for a month. GAH. A little heads up on that would have been MUCH appreciated.

Didn't get to keep the panties on. Mildly mortifying. However, I was instantly distracted by the fact that they have heated hospital gowns now! How COOL is that? Do you have ANY idea how tempted I was to try to smuggle one out w/ me? Or how hard I'm trying to figure out if I can rig my hair dryer to do the same thing w/ one of those snuggie things? Man, that was nice. And they let me keep my wool socks on, so I didn't whine.

U-doc seems optimistic that they got it all broken down small enough to pass. It took some doing, though, and we were in there longer than anticipated. I think that's why there are three marks - they just kept moving and shooting. I wish I was awake for it, b/c a) I think that would've been fascinating, and b) I wonder if he acts like he's playing Astroids when he's doing it. (I probably would.)

I'm down a total of ten pounds, now. This is not the way to do this. And lemme tell you, having not eaten since Thursday evening, I am REALLY looking forward to supper!! (Less so, since my throat hurts, but like that's going to stop me.)

Got home to a trashed house, and as we all know, I just cannot relax in squalor. (Live in it? Sure. Relax in it? Nope.) So I sent the kids to play video games. Sent Zorak out to work on the balcony. And I cleaned. Ran the dishwasher, tidied the living room, took a Zofran (kind of like Phenergan, but a little stronger), did some laundry, cleaned the kitchen, swept the floor. Then I got the boys loaded for b-ball, took a pain killer (in the Percocet family, yay!), and sat my happy butt down here to play.

If the pain meds don't make me loopy, I'll go to the ball park here in a bit to relieve Zorak. (Jake has practice from 4-5, then batting practice from 5-6; John has practice from 5:30-7 - at some point, somebody's going to have to come home.)

As for what happens next, I'd just better not run out of pain meds before it's all said and done. Other than that, I'm just trying not to think about it. Or think about having to pee in a strainer. The boys thought it was hilarious when I pointed out that this thing had better not end up in the kitchen OR the sand box, thankyouverymuch.

Thank you for your humor, your thoughtful words, and your prayers.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

5 comments:

mere said...

You now have to pee through a strainer? Do the indignities ever end?

And have I mentioned that we were considering Joseph/Joe for #5...but now I will never hear that name without thinking of your stone. Oh, well, maybe we'll just go with Titus Obadiah after all. If he's a he, that is.

Joking aside I hope that when they analyze it they can figure out what is causing it and you can take steps so that you never have to deal with this again!

I'm glad you're on your way to recovery! Now go eat!

mere

Meliss said...

Oh my, you are a trooper! Doesn't laproscopic (sp?) surgery still count as surgery? I think you have earned the right to lie around! I'm sure glad that Joe got what was coming to him, and I hope you feel fully recovered soon.

The Foil Hat said...

YAY - I'm so glad it went well. Shouldn't you be in bed or something, though? Thanks for updating so quickly, Dy.

Anonymous said...

Dy,

So glad the surgery was a success! Take it easy and definitely follow up on what might be causing "joe" to raise his ugly head. Take the time you need to heal; you have had a very invasive procedure to a major organ.

God Speed,

Robyn

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the update...but please take it easy, ok.
Gentle hugs and prayers
Kathy