Wednesday, January 14

Um, yeah.

I've got to quit falling asleep on the couch. But we have this awesome throw pillow, and when I grab it and lie down, somebody comes and snuggles with me. Then I get warm and drowsy and the next thing I know, Zorak's hauling me off the couch at two in the morning because that's not where I oughta be sleeping. Maybe I'll move the throw pillow to our room?

Smidge and I were at the dentist this morning at 7:30, where they did some absolutely horrific procedure that I don't want to relate. Without novacaine. And he didn't flinch. I'm starting to suspect that the kids' dentist is a hypnotist. They're all so... so... I don't know, but as they go about their business, it's all so smooth and cheerful and painless. Which I appreciate, but there I am, at the end of the table, just watching in morbid fascination as the process unfolds, asking inappropriate questions like, "So, that goes all the way to the root?" (I can't help myself - it's like watching an autopsy, only the bodies are alive - I'd be a total pain in the butt observing an actual surgery.) When we left, Smidge was ready for a creamslush from Sonic, but I needed some Tums or something. *shudder*

Anyway, we're all hunkered down for the cold. The Relative Cold. (Guys, I cannot actually complain! -9!?! -2?!? Who even cares about the windchill anymore when your eyeballs will freeze solid upon leaving the house? They'll shatter if you slip and fall. YIKES! Y'all are tough.) But we are hitting the library. Good call, that. Thanks!

The boys have piano this afternoon, and then it's all quiet, smooth sailing. I've got almost two weeks of suppers planned out for grocery day tomorrow. Not thrilling news, I know, but Zorak will appreciate hearing something other than "nope" when he asks if I have a plan for supper. And the boys will be glad not to have to help haul me back up out of the chest freezer when I've been digging around in there so long my back sticks and my arms are too cold to lift myself up. So really, in perspective, that is fairly exciting news. At least, for our neck of the woods.

Kiss those babies!
~Dy

3 comments:

Ritsumei said...

While it's not the worst that it's ever been, we're supposed to have -13 tomorrow. It's -7 right now, but there's no wind. Tomorrow there's supposed to be wind... my piano students tell me they were talking about canceling school for tomorrow: Today. I guess the local cutoff is around -30, with the windchill. Yet another reason for homeschooling, in my book: who wants to send your kids out in that stuff?? I used to freeze my gizzard standing there waiting for the bus... not fun. Wood stoves sound much more pleasant.

29 is plenty cold enough to make a wood stove sound mighty cozy. Break out the hot chocolate!

Kathy Jo DeVore said...

Ya know, as much as I complain about the weather here, there's a plus side. Unfortunately, the "plus side" is not the temp, but anyway... The plus side is that it's so incredibly freakin' cold that we learned how to bundle up and wear appropriate clothing. Once I have on my insulated overalls, boots, and jacket, I'm good except for my face. My balaclava tends to fog up my glasses, but I'm considering training Jared to be my seeing-eye-boy.

melissa said...

I have missed reading your blog!! What have I been doing??? Yeah...I'm a bit worried about the temps myself. 7 tonight. Ummmm...this is THE SOUTH. I'm gonna need a back-up plan! Tell John we said Congrats on the squirrel. How'd the cleaning process go?? ;-)